1962 West Bend 80HP I/O

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1962 Custom Craft Sun Ray with 80HP West Bend I/O. I haven't been able to find any info on the motor at all. Does anyone know of a source for info? A manual would be nice. The motor was rebuilt before I got it, it just needs wired. It is a positive ground system. Is it true it is the same as a Chrysler? If so which one. It also has a West Bend "Shark-o-Matic" 800 outdrive.
Please help.
westbend006.jpg

westbend038.jpg

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 West Bend 80HP I/O

COOL looking boat!!! It even has friggin headlights!!!!

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

WOW, I know nothing about the boat, but I love the "headlights" and tailfins!!!! I don't think I could resist this: I would have to put in some red tail lights, complete with blu dots!!

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Fiberglassics.com has lots of info about them
customcraftb61006.jpg

How the heck are they so light??
A 675 pound cabin cruiser?
Must be kilograms... ?

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't want to take up space in the motor forum too, I just wish someone could tell me something about this boat and motor.

ok, ok, i'll tell you something about that boat...

That is one COOL BOAT, dude!

sorry, that's all I know, though........ :p

pvanv

Admiral

There's a Shark-O-Matic service manual on eBay.

I'm just bringing one of these out of mothballs, and will be getting it running over the winter. Franz marine has tuneup parts and impellers. Not sure about bellows yet; They may be generic units. The part that I think will be hard to find is the exhaust elbow... sort of a right angle bellows hose that exits the bottom of the motor and then connects to the lower bellows at the transom.

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There's a Shark-O-Matic service manual on eBay.

I'm just bringing one of these out of mothballs, and will be getting it running over the winter. Franz marine has tuneup parts and impellers. Not sure about bellows yet; They may be generic units. The part that I think will be hard to find is the exhaust elbow... sort of a right angle bellows hose that exits the bottom of the motor and then connects to the lower bellows at the transom.

I got the manual off ebay, it's a good manual.
Thanks for the info on parts and I'm lucky enough to have new bellows.
Post some pick of yours and let us know how it comes along.