Homemade transom motor bracket ideas for electric trolling motor

Moody Blue

Captain
Went out and bought an electric trolling motor for my 16ft runabout. The 80hp just is no good for trolling and I didn't want another outboard (cost, weight, convenience etc) so I went with a transom mount type electric. Problem is that the splashwell is JUST wide enough for the main motor. I'll need to install a mount on the transom for the electric motor.

I've seen those retractable kicker motor brackets but they are much bigger/heavier than I need for this 25Ib electric motor. I was thinking of something low profile, maybe even removable. I'm sure someone on these forums has built or seen something similar. Ideas ?

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Homemade transom motor bracket ideas for electric trolling motor

I had a redneck trolling motor mount on my old tri-hull. It was made from a 2' long white oak 2x8 with 8" lopped off and stuck underneath as a stand-off, kind of L shaped and bolted down with 3- 1/2" SS bolts. Rot resistant and very strong, just looked like, well.....

There are fixed mounts that are not too expensive.

I put an adjustable kicker mount on my current boat for a 70# transom mount TM, and just tightened up all the bolts so it doesn't move around. It works good for the electric trolling motor, and if I decide to get an kicker, the bracket is all ready mounted.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Not much to add on the mount,just wanted to ask.
How long and at what speed do you want to troll at with that electric?
By the time you buy an electric,acouple batteries,charger...it might be worth looking at a small gas motor.
Those electrics are more for bass style fishing,not steady running for hours....

fishrdan

Admiral

Those electrics are more for bass style fishing,not steady running for hours....

Lots of people troll for hours on end on electric trollers, I do it all the time. Even on my big heavy 18'er I can troll for 5-6 hours on a bank of 2 batteries before they need charging (I can charge on the water, so it's not a biggie). I'm running a digital TM that's pretty efficient, and can push the big boat.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of people troll for hours on end on electric trollers, I do it all the time. Even on my big heavy 18'er I can troll for 5-6 hours on a bank of 2 batteries before they need charging (I can charge on the water, so it's not a biggie). I'm running a digital TM that's pretty efficient, and can push the big boat.

Understood but 2 batteries($200);trolling motor($500);charger ($50)...not sure how your charging on the water(through outboard?)
Pretty much the same price of a small outboard,just saying.Not going to get into what I think are advantages and disadvantages.

Moody Blue

Captain

Thanks for all the ideas. I decided on and bought the fixed mount. My needs are basic and infrequent so the electric was the way to go for me.