68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration

Bret,
That sure looks like the hot set up from where I'm standing. If my garage were empty the boat still wouldn't fit in it. With what you have there you ought to get a nice paint job out of it especially with your helper right there ready to go. Have fun!
John

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Brad, you can also get one or two of those air tanks like you use to transport air and hook them in to make it work. I used to see folks at the track do that all the time when they were running air tools to do saturday night motor swaps, etc.

Thanks,

I have a 5 gallon portable tank. With the two compressors, a extra tank and an inline regualtor, I should be able to get it done.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

OK Bret now that I see you can do it can you come make enough room in my garage so I can get my boat in . I think our garages are about the same size and my boat is smaller than yours :D:D.

Rick

Ok, But you gotta get SWMBO's approval to do it though:eek:

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

:confused:I am thinking about using some high build rustoleum rattle can primer over the zinc chromate to fill in some scratches and minor pitting/chipping. Do you think it would be ok under the rustoleum professional and brightsides?:confused:

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bret I would say you should be safe under the rustoleum the brightsides I couldnt swear to though .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

You will most likely though get a heavier buildup just using the aluminum primer from rustoleum with the roller than you will with the rattle can stuff :D.

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

I got the first coat on the topside surfaces today, rustoleum professional in light machinery grey. Has anyone thinned the professional series with mineral spirits? :confused: It says acetone only, but you can thin regular rustoleum with mineral spirits. I would prefer mineral spirits as it has a longer work time than acetone.
Boattwelfthweek007.jpg

Boattwelfthweek008.jpg

Boattwelfthweek009.jpg

BTW the nooks and crannys were sprayed with a preval sprayer, amazing little item that allows you to spray whatever paint you have, I would highly reccomend it. I thinned 10% with acetone and sprayed th>e window trim and areas up around the cabin wall bracket. Very nice finish

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bret I would stick to the manufacturers directions on thinning . She is looking good by the way . I finally got the bottom and stripe done on mine and should be rebunking the trailer right now but spent the day fishing in the Pond for Minnows to take up to feeders and trade for oranda's :D. The Minnows breed worse than rabbits went from 6 to probably 200-300 in a few months and feeders trades us for pretty fish :D.

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Got some painting done! Three coats on the topsides, got some orange peel, but I can always say it's a non skid texture;) or if I get reat ambitious I can wet sand it:rolleyes: Now on to the navy blue, then finally the bottom in grey again.
Boattwelfthweek010.jpg

Boattwelfthweek011.jpg

Boattwelfthweek012.jpg

Rick, I took your advice an limited the thinner type and amount to the manufacturers directions, by the time I would go to tip the bubbles, they were already popped and gone:confused: so I just rolled and nothing

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

HMMMMMMMMM,;)

Those interior sides look very familiar. Hey, you got her looking good. Did you order teh new windshield yet? I finally cleaned all of the green mold off of mine and actually see through it. I still want to eventually replace it, but for now i'm working on the power trim. I took a hose by a place i used to work and the guy made it too long. Now, i've got do go back, make another one, and put it all back together again. It's all fun i guess. Keep plugging along.

Brad

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Bret welcome to the Roll & Roll club officialy started by Kev :D. She is looking really good your color combo is going to look great when she is done :D.

Rick

North Beach

Commander

So Bret. The ole roll & nothing approach:D. Looks good bud! I told you this was gonna be an awesome boat when you get it finished.

Andy in NY

Commander

looking good brett... i like the grey. i was going to go with it origionally, till i was given some white for free....

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I had good luck with the acetone as a thinner. Although I needed a extra qt. of the white and when I went to buy, the qt. cans did not say professional on them, but had the same part # on the lid. The guy at the counter told me they relabeled and were phasing out the stuff that doesn't say professional. Anyhow on the can that didnot say professional there were 2 options for thinning (acetone and another, can't remember what it was and I don't have an old can lying around). The new label professional only has acetone as a thinner. So I don't know if they figured out that it works better or what.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did a very nice job! Looks great.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Brad,

New windshield will be here monday, Let me know, now they have a pattern, it will be about $200 and 3 weeks notice, so you can order next year before lake anna and I can bring it down. I also have 100' of the vinyl "caulking" (trim/seal) coming, so we will have plenty left over for yours.

Rick & NB,

Thanks! I am going to try the Navy tonight.

Andy,

I was debating on white as I think I would like that better, but I figured the Rustoleum Professional machinery grey might be more impact and chemical resistant as It was designed for machine shop equipment, only time will tell if it was worth it.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration use GLAZE COAT for scratch repairs

Re: 68 Starcraft Starchief 18' Cuddy Restoration use GLAZE COAT for scratch repairs

Bret that cuddy is looking sweet! :)

next time you have some scratches and paint chips, and are still in primer stage, use [B]MICRO FILL[/B] it is basically real fine, soft bondo, it is for just that sort of problem, such as feathering edges and such. Widely available at auto parts stores especially ones with auto paint supplies. it works excellent.
if you ever watch overhauling or similar shows, they use it on all of thier builds.

I just looked in my garage, I have EVERCOAT brand spot putty in a tube, and EVERCOAT glazing putty in a squeezable plastic "can" shaped deally whopper has zig zag bottom that squishes it out. well worth having on hand for any repairs be it boats or cars.
you can work it minutes after applying it.........

http://www.evercoat.com/productCategory.aspx?cat=1

Attachments

• GlazeCoat.jpg
    GlazeCoat.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Vegas,

Sounds like a great product! Ordered some for my fixit shelf.

I got the first coat on with interlux brightsides dark blue. Boy is that paint nice:eek: I cut it with 10% interlux 333 brushing thinner as directed and rolled it on. Left alot of bubbles, but tipped with a foam brush and it laid down like GLASS :D I found it much easier to work with than the rustoleum professional. I just can't get over the smooth glossy surface.
Boattwelfthweek015.jpg

Boattwelfthweek016.jpg

Boattwelfthweek017.jpg

I do have a few runs at rivets, so next coat is going to be 5% thinned instead.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That blue is SHARP!!