1986 Bayliner Capri Volvo Circulation pump problem B230 with 270 outdirve

Justin Reaves

Recruit
So I have a really nice clean 1986 Bayliner Capri 19ft, has the B230 4cyld Volvo motor with 270 outdrive. Got the boat with no Circ pump on the engine. My local boat parts store guys are being total jerks and saying that I should have never bought the boat and not being very helpful or insightful on helping me find a used pump or telling me anything better than give them 400 bucks for a new one.

I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one that has not wanted to spend the money on the 400 dollar pump with the automotive that is slightly different is only 40 bucks!

Anyone ever tried or know how to reto-fit another pump or just to bypass it another way. I'd really like some help, good news, or bad... I'll take it, it's got to be better than the guys at that store. ThanksBayliner.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Bayliner Capri Volvo Circulation pump problem B230 with 270 outdirve

B230 is the automotive designation for the engine. The pumps aren't the same. What is the Volvo Penta model number?

Justin Reaves

Recruit

Sorry that is the block number b230, Volvo Penta Engine Ser# AQ125B

Don S

Your parts guy was way off with that $400 price, the water pump kit actually costs about $1100. :eek:
The part number is 3856036

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went through this on my aq125a motor. The automotive pump has a radiator hose connection where the marine has a compression fit to the heat exchanger, at least the originals did.

The new volvo pump replacement for that motor is infact a modified auto pump that is cut down, has an adapter, a hole plugged, and then changes the connection to the bottom of the heat exchanger to a rubber hose that you clamp on.

If you have a local machine shop that can make the adapter for you, and you modify the pump, you could get it done. When I did it, I tried the wrong type of adapter:
adapter.jpg

It would have worked but the alignment between the two was way off:
motor-1.jpg

alignment.jpg

So I bought a new pump. I think I got it for $350 on ebay iirc.
You can see the vovle adapter and hose in this shot:
waterpumps011.jpg

waterpumps010.jpg

Even this pump does not line up perfect, but the rubber hose can make the compensation just fine. Sorry I didn't take any photos of the new pump in hand or on the motor. But, if you want to make an adapter that works, it should look like this:
adapter2.jpg

I don't have the dimensions, you'd have to do that. You need to know the size of the outside of the heat exchanger, the inside of the water pump, and the length to cover the hole (you'll know what I'm talking about when you look at an auto pump). When I got to this point, it was the middle of summer and couldn't wait to get back on the water so I paid. Boat pics from last year are in my sig.

The pump has gone up in price a little : http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Kit/dm/*******.408213207--session_id.501848934--view_id.283733
Or here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta..._Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_2578wt_905

Good luck.

Don S

This new kit cures the misalignment problem.

images-product-medium-vol3856036-250x250.jpg

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

This new kit cures the misalignment problem.

Wow, that's insane! $1000 all because they discontinued the original water pump. And even that water pump in the picture is modified again :facepalm: volvo....what are you guys doing?

For a cheaper and possibly better setup, you could find the user Paperclip on here that added on an aftermarket heat exchanger to his motor last year. He had a big long thread on it about using an auto b230 motor for marine.
I think his route cost about $500 for the heat exchanger plus an auto water pump, thermostat housing, expansion tank, radiator hoses, and had to modify the hose that connects to the exhaust manifold. Oh, and custom mounting brackets too. Probably around 6-700 bucks for the setup.

I'll see if I can find the post in a little bit here.

Also, I did not remember all the details correctly about the volvo replacement pump. First is the hole I said gets covered, no it gets cut off! I also forgot that I did infact take a bunch of pictures. I'll add them here in a bit too.

Hey Don, how to I post thumbnails instead of plastering huge pics all over this page?

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Excellent, Thank you! That's going to be a lot easier than uploading to photobucket.

IMAG0270.jpgIMAG0272.jpg

But since I already made a photobucket album, here is a link with this picture + 15 more:
http://photobucket.com/aq125wp

This is a picture of the auto pump that I had already cut down plus the volvo replacement pump kit. Volvo cuts it down much further than I did and then uses an adapter like I described above. With a 1.5" ID hose you connect to the heat exchanger, done.

Even if you bought the auto pump for about $50 you could spend $100 on the adapter to be custom milled and end up WAY ahead. You just need to find a local guy that can do it, and is willing to do it for beer money. The adapter I had made, with the o-rings, cost me $60 and was milled from steel. I was very disappointed when it didn't work. The adapter was perfect but I didn't realize the offset when I designed it.

Here is paperklip's thread I was speaking of: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=503981&page=4&highlight=paperklip

Justin Reaves

Recruit

Well lots of great info... I'm finding a bit of an issue. My engine is set up for a pump with only 5 bolts... most of the pumps i'm seeing have 6 holes. I'm not against spending the money for the expensive pump but I really want to make sure i'm getting the right one. and that it will match up!

Don S

One of the differences between a 125A and a 125B. Look at the picture I posted of the kit and count the holes in the gaskets.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah yes, look at that, I totally didn't catch that. My 125a is a 2.1L the 125b is a 2.3L, I guess there should be some differences.

125b pump:
bna.jpg

It is so close to making the auto version fit. The hole on the underside and the extra mounting hole and flange really mess things up. For $40 bucks you can get this close:
motor.jpg

But getting a hose on the two to connect them, they it might as well be a mile away.

Attachments

• bna.jpg
    bna.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0