Engine stalling when I shift into gear.

97v196

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
10
a few weeks ago I installed a new gimbal bearing and bellows kit. I ran everything on ear muffs and it ran great and shifted into gear fine. Took the boat out yesterday and it worked great for a couple of hours than it got hard to shift into gear. Finally when I could get it to shift it would move the shift interrupt switch and stall the motor. I am assuming I have too much tension or binding in my stern drive shift cable. Can someone maybe suggest some places to start looking on things I might have installed incorrectly or where I might have the cable pinched?

Thanks
 

97v196

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
10
Re: Engine stalling when I shift into gear.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am sure it would be helpful if you know what I was talking about. :) Its a 97 sylvan with a 4.3 Mercruiser w Alpha one gen II outdrive. It has Quicksilver 3000 controls.
 

97v196

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
10
Re: Engine stalling when I shift into gear.

Well I got home this evening and started looking at the lower shift cable. The gentleman that helped me change out the bellows, routed the shift cable to the portside under the output shaft and than up. The cable came in contact with the output shaft and rubbed through the nylon coating. I am assuming that it got hot and ruined the liner in the cable. I know I need to replace the cable but can someone tell me or show me how to route it correctly.
Thanks
 
Top