Water in bilge... possible Gimbal Housing gasket bad ?!

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class
Being a first year boater, (read newb), I started to take the boat out out of water on a ramp, then realized that the drive was down. By then it was too late, and when I lifted the drive up and pulled the boat out of the water, one of the prop blades was broken off 1/4 of it. Please don't judge me... :facepalm:

After this incident, the boat seems to be taking on water into the bilge. Seems to be doing this when docked and the motor off than when running it on the lake and when the motor is off.

Here's the question: Could the stress on the drive at the ramp have caused the drive to separate from the stern somehow or maybe the stress did something to the gasket where the drive mounts to the gimbal ring ? I do see a bead of silicone around the whole gimbal housing from the previous owner but not sure if it has anything to do with this or not.

Is there an easy way to check out this seal out of water?

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water in bilge... possible Gimbal Housing gasket bad ?!

How old is ur boat? Rotting transom maybe? That might have cracked an already weak part

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

How old is ur boat? Rotting transom maybe? That might have cracked an already weak part

1977. Prior to this accident, it was bone-dry.

LX Kid

Ensign

Don't forget to check for leaks of hoses while engine is running.

rickryder

Commander

Torn bellows? Bad transom? You'll have to dig around in there..... take some core samples of the transom...

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's the question: Could the stress on the drive at the ramp have caused the drive to separate from the stern somehow or maybe the stress did something to the gasket where the drive mounts to the gimbal ring ? I do see a bead of silicone around the whole gimbal housing from the previous owner but not sure if it has anything to do with this or not.

Sorry, going back to the original question. Is it possible the gaskets were separated somehow from the impact ?

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, going back to the original question. Is it possible the gaskets were separated somehow from the impact ?

I doubt it.. They are held together with 6 bolts and 2 ram arms plus they pivot together.. Hopefully something just got knocked loose.. But with a boat that old and from what you're saying my vote is a rotten transom that now has an opening from the impact.. Check your bellows, maybe one went bad the same day u made your goof

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I got from the previous owner as far as repairs on the boat:

In 1997: fiberglass stringers and side panels repair, fiberglass floor and transom repair, rebuilt starter, replaced hydraulic hoses for trim and tilt, replaced bilge pump and switches and brackets, replaced control cable, cleaned gas tank, put in new fuel line, installed trolling motor bracket, installed depth finder, new exhaust manifold

Can it be bad again in 15 years or could it still be the gimbal housing ? There is caulking around the base of it already..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The sudden shock seperated the joint.if you cannot find a :
broken /rotted exaust
broken or damaged bellows or shift boot
or if you can slip a business card between the housing and fiberglass

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

The sudden shock seperated the joint.if you cannot find a :
broken /rotted exaust
broken or damaged bellows or shift boot
or if you can slip a business card between the housing and fiberglass

Bt, right on ! Had some time to dig around the dock a bit today and see where the leak was coming from. Found the problem. A small tear between the ridges of the shift cable bellows (shift boot, same thing?) When it was compressed in the normal position, couldn't see it. I had to "extend " it to find the tear. So the good news: transom might be okay, bad news, have to research how to replace that small bellows.

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

All 3 bellows replaced. Took boat out on the lake tonight to watch the sunset with the family. No leaks. Bone-dry. Comforting, fuzzy feeling to know you're not sinking. Thanks for all the help.