My GT-150

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: My GT-150

Hey Gt-150 I have been researching paint and flake. I have decided not to go with a traditional flake. I have waited years for my Classic Glastron Carlson and I want something so awesome it makes people sprain their neck when they see it.
I thing I am going to go with a True Blue Pearl with Silver Halographic flakes over it.
The color changing flakes should be awesome in the direct sunlight.

Do you have any pics of that? I would like to see it! It sounds like we have similar interests, I too am hoping to get a "Holy Cow" affect!

I saw a video in youtube of a mannequin painted with a "Holographic paint". It looked black until it was in the sun then it looked like a prism. I wish I could find that paint!

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's pretty cool! I really like the silver in the pic at the very bottom of the page! That's what I want my boat to look like.

The easiest way to post pic is by opening a photobucket account.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Saw an old Checkmate today that had been fully restored.
Done in teal paint and about a 4 inch strip of silver flake just above the rubstrip the full length of the boat man did that look awesome.
I see what you mean about the silver flake, talk about some bling.
I almost think that might be too much, I don't know now.
Maybe a blue flake(interior is blue) and outline the whole thing in a 4 or 5 inch band of silver flake.

divimon2000

Seaman

Hey guys, great finds and I wish you well. I bought my GT 150 for $200 assuming (knowing) it needed everything. Never seen a glastron boat that old that had a great transom :) I found that a simple want ad helped me, seems they have trees growing in them all over the place and I was ready for the rebuild. I def wanted the old seats and windshield frame for copying. Anyway the thing flies as you say 78-GT! If you know how to get thru the 50mph chinewalk, let me know! I used smaller metalflake and with a ton of it (4 hits), looks great (you need sunglasses to look at it directly) but the old .025 flake would have been nicer for sure. Here is my resto blog: www.jamesbond150.blogspot.com

Attachments

• DSC_1105.jpg
    DSC_1105.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

nice job divimon hope mine looks half that nice when its done.
Mine has been in the shop since I brought it home.
Supposedly the AQ130 had a fresh rebuild on it, but wasn't circulating any water.
Had my mechanic put in a new impeller but still no water to engine, ended up being a problem with the filter.
Then I found out the front crank seal was leaking pretty good and the carbs need rebuilt.
Hopefully I can get it in the water before its time to winterize.
On the good side the guy did do an excellent job on the interior.

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, great finds and I wish you well. I bought my GT 150 for $200 assuming (knowing) it needed everything. Never seen a glastron boat that old that had a great transom :) I found that a simple want ad helped me, seems they have trees growing in them all over the place and I was ready for the rebuild. I def wanted the old seats and windshield frame for copying. Anyway the thing flies as you say 78-GT! If you know how to get thru the 50mph chinewalk, let me know! I used smaller metalflake and with a ton of it (4 hits), looks great (you need sunglasses to look at it directly) but the old .025 flake would have been nicer for sure. Here is my resto blog: www.jamesbond150.blogspot.com

I read through your blog many times before I even bought my boat! Looks like I am going to have to read it again... I am having wiring problems after it sunk!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342844

divimon2000

Seaman

Crud, def check the discussion boards about submerged engine (if it was), cause some of the stuff happens well after the water is gone. I know in my manual there is a procedure for submerged engine and says to keep it submerged until you can get to work on it! Hopefully its only the gauges or connections. I won't be of help but the people on here will. I rewired my from scratch and would have never figured out what was going on there before me! Good luck to you, nice passes in the vids!

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think most of my electrial problem are in the control box... I have been warned about pulling a Merc 'box apart. I guess there are springs that like to shoot out!

It sucks to grab ahold of the throttle and have it snap the wee out of you!

divimon2000

Seaman

Thats actually good, that's manageable. Get any drawing you can of the box and don't be afraid to open it up. Mine did the same (springs popped out) but I figured it out (lots of one-way places that things could only go in one way. Prob corroded neutral switches, etc.
Where is your resto post?

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

You guys are lucky to have such cool boats! GT150 and cv Carlsons RULE!

One day I hope to score one, hey I think for 950 dollars you did well

sounds a bit pricey for paint, unless he is including painting the trailer to match, do it yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can rent a spray booth and do it yourself for $150 in clear coat / activator with a $15 dollar spray gun and get awsome results, then wetsand with 1500 and then 2000 grit and polish it out using meguires or mothers 4 to 6 stage polish systems in a couple days work you will be done. Test out your technique on some scrap car parts or an old fridge! Im sure a metal flake fridge in your garage would be cool eh?

heck you can slop clear on with a brush and get a show finish,.....that is after 60 hours of wet sanding and polishing out the clear. Even with the best spray guns you still get Orange Peel, bumpy surface etc. all show finish cars have been "color sanded and polished"
I experimented with some old fenders, using glitter from michaels crafts, well it was a black painted fender, I added glitter to the clear, sprayed it on and got a neat little finish. still holding up fine 3 years in the sun on the side of my house! but I would recommend using pro metal-flake powders as they are sized perfectly that is why they are a little pricey.

if you want to see car / motorcycle paint in sunlight (not on color charts) check out this website below kandy colors, metalflakes, straight colors, flames etc tons and tons of good photos of different paint scheme / color combos.

http://www.attitudecustompainting.com/gallery2/v/samples/

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

You guys are lucky to have such cool boats! GT150 and cv Carlsons RULE!

One day I hope to score one, hey I think for 950 dollars you did well

sounds a bit pricey for paint, unless he is including painting the trailer to match, do it yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can rent a spray booth and do it yourself for $150 in clear coat / activator with a $15 dollar spray gun and get awsome results, then wetsand with 1500 and then 2000 grit and polish it out using meguires or mothers 4 to 6 stage polish systems in a couple days work you will be done. Test out your technique on some scrap car parts or an old fridge! Im sure a metal flake fridge in your garage would be cool eh?

heck you can slop clear on with a brush and get a show finish,.....that is after 60 hours of wet sanding and polishing out the clear. Even with the best spray guns you still get Orange Peel, bumpy surface etc. all show finish cars have been "color sanded and polished"
I experimented with some old fenders, using glitter from michaels crafts, well it was a black painted fender, I added glitter to the clear, sprayed it on and got a neat little finish. still holding up fine 3 years in the sun on the side of my house! but I would recommend using pro metal-flake powders as they are sized perfectly that is why they are a little pricey.

if you want to see car / motorcycle paint in sunlight (not on color charts) check out this website below kandy colors, metalflakes, straight colors, flames etc tons and tons of good photos of different paint scheme / color combos.

http://www.attitudecustompainting.com/gallery2/v/samples/

I have painted boats before but I don't think I'm ready to try metal flake yet.
I want the old metal flake stripped off and new metal flake applied and mine is not just the exterior, the whole interior is metal flaked.
Don't have any pics of mine yet but here is a video of one that looks exactly like mine only mine is blue and the boat in the video is green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZOzd1h9QKo

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I looked at the video WAY COOL carlson
I want one!!!!!
that guy has a neat little inboard on his (didnt know they ever had em!)

I have suscribed to this thread so lets see lots more pics as you get stuff done!
Thanks

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

yep mine has the same engine as the one in the video (Volvo Penta AQ130)
It has duel single barrel carbs.
Just had impeller replaced, and some electrical chased down, and the front crank seal replaced.
Supposedly it has a fresh rebuild on the engine, but oil was pouring out pretty good from behind the harmonic balancer.
Think we got most of the bugs worked out though.
Not much of the season left here in michigan, but at least everything will be all set for spring.
I think I'll wait 'til next fall for the metal flake.
Gonna go with a medium blue flake with a 3" band of silver just above the rub strip.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I am in Central Michigan a little town called Crystal and our main attractions are Crystal Lake and Crystal Raceway.
I am NW of Lansing and NE of Grand Rapids.
Our lake is 725 acres with 2 small islands not a huge lake but the largest in the area, and very beautiful.
I would very much like to get a classic glastron chapter started in michigan, if we could talk someone in to chairing it.

Attachments

• birdsview.jpg
    birdsview.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • island in lake.jpg
    island in lake.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0

78 GT-150

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It would be great to start a Glastron chapter in MI!

How can we go about it?

LOL Guess what... My boat sunk again! I guess it's time to drag her out of the water and find out why!

I am getting good at this! I can drain a 15' boat in 45 min with my 6 hp Craftsman shop vac! lol It's pulling 16 gallons of water in about 30 seconds!

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

The last time I checked there wasn't a Michigan Chapter, but it appears there is one now.
You can contact the president at Bigpumkin79@yahoo.com , I just just shot an e-mail to him for info.
You can always get glastron info at classicglastron.com

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Hey GT I am now a member of the Classic Glastron Michigan Chapter.
Found out the president is only about 15 miles from me.