1979 wellcraft sunhatch outdrive questions

jiggler73

Cadet
so ive read through most of the threads and forums here and have been slightly educated on some of my issues at hand but not all of them...by the way before i really start asking stuff id like to thank you all for the help ive gotten just from your experiences that youve shared on here and for any help i may receive now :) here goes ...1979 wellcraft sunhatch with mercruiser 898 5.0 with a pre alpha..first question. how do i tell if its an mc-1,r,alpha etc? from what ive read it may be an mc-1 or maybe r, i know its definately not a trs tr. and second question is does anyone have detailed pictures or videos(preffered) on how to replace the whole shift cablethru transom ,bellhousing etc thats what has me stumped..thank you all and if i need to be corrected correct me with anything that may not be correct im here to learn about mercruiser, until now ive been a volvo guy and that was a whole different ballgame my last boat was a 1969 chris craft lancer twin 350s :)

jiggler73

Cadet
Re: 1979 wellcraft sunhatch outdrive questions

any information will be useful,how to properly mercathode with the thru hull anode a circle with a metal piece on the incide and the other side looks like a small speaker...this boat was a good buy with a running motor with 300 hours but its a nightmare with electronics and stuff like my shift cable needing replacement please help

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1979 wellcraft sunhatch with mercruiser 898 5.0 with a pre alpha..first question. how do i tell if its an mc-1,r,alpha etc?

Serial number is the best way. If it's the original drive, it would be a MC-1, the others didn't come out till the mid 80's.

For details on changing the shift cable, I would use service manual #6 for changing the cable, and upgrade your drive to the new style shift cable.(get oem cable, not aftermarket) the manual for your drive is #4, but does not show how to change for the new cable.
Manuals here. http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

jiggler73

Cadet

you sir....just made my life a whoolllle lot better

jiggler73

Cadet

after reading more posts around iboats as well as reading the service manuals youve provided , i am a bit lost still. i have determined it is most definitely an mc-1 drive coupled to 898 198 hp gm 305 . 1st question is the shifter assemebly doesn't just come apart when removing the drive itself correct? i will have to pull it away as far as i can before its completely off and unscrew a few thing from the slider right? thanks in advance for any help provided

Bondo

Staff member

after reading more posts around iboats as well as reading the service manuals youve provided , i am a bit lost still. i have determined it is most definitely an mc-1 drive coupled to 898 198 hp gm 305 . 1st question is the shifter assemebly doesn't just come apart when removing the drive itself correct? i will have to pull it away as far as i can before its completely off and unscrew a few thing from the slider right? thanks in advance for any help provided

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... If ya do it right, the outdrive slides off the gimbel housing, 'n the linkage disconnects, as it comes away...

jiggler73

Cadet

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... If ya do it right, the outdrive slides off the gimbel housing, 'n the linkage disconnects, as it comes away...

thanks for the help,it was difficult coming off due to corrosion on the shift tab (not sure if that the right name for it but i mean the theng the slide goes over on the foot of the drive) but wd-40 and it slipped off smooth

Here's some videos to help you...

Removing drive: http://youtu.be/w3O63YTOhn8

Checking alignment: http://youtu.be/w118LGsYgY4

Installing drive: http://youtu.be/aGVrY4cWiDA

Shift cable adjustment: http://youtu.be/-s_tgevX2aI

Chris.........

thanks for the videos they were very useful! do you have or know of any videos of running the shift cable through the transom down into the bellows area? ive read 100s of posts and read provided service manuals but it seems easier than they make it?

jiggler73

Cadet

for chris, if not a video if you dont mind in the simplest way possible could you tell me how you would do it? if not ill figure it out and ill read and re-read manuals instructions before i do it on my own but its easier to me when a person who has done it before tells their tale

achris

More fish than mountain goat

First thing I do is pull the inner out of the old cable, then I cut the old cable, between the bell housing and the gimbal housing, and tie a piece of line (about 4 feet long) to the old cable.... I then work on getting the old cable out of the bell housing and preparing it all for the new cable. I then thread the new cable (just the outer, no inner at this stage) through the bell housing (the new cables go in from the aft side of the housing), and through the shift bellows. I usually put a new shift bellows on.... I then tie the end of the line that is connected to the old cable, to the top end of the new cable, securely! I get up in the boat and start to GENTLY pull the old cable up... If you have someone to help you it even easier. Guide the new cable into the gimbal housing and gently pull it up into place.... From there, make sure the cable is free to rotate, and thread it into the bell-housing and tighten it up... Now push the inner up and finish the installation.... Adjust as per the video...

HTH,

Chris.......

jiggler73

Cadet

First thing I do is pull the inner out of the old cable, then I cut the old cable, between the bell housing and the gimbal housing, and tie a piece of line (about 4 feet long) to the old cable.... I then work on getting the old cable out of the bell housing and preparing it all for the new cable. I then thread the new cable (just the outer, no inner at this stage) through the bell housing (the new cables go in from the aft side of the housing), and through the shift bellows. I usually put a new shift bellows on.... I then tie the end of the line that is connected to the old cable, to the top end of the new cable, securely! I get up in the boat and start to GENTLY pull the old cable up... If you have someone to help you it even easier. Guide the new cable into the gimbal housing and gently pull it up into place.... From there, make sure the cable is free to rotate, and thread it into the bell-housing and tighten it up... Now push the inner up and finish the installation.... Adjust as per the video...

HTH,

Chris.......

thanks ! i will try your method this weekend! it seems soo much simpler put that way