Lower Susquehanna

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lower Susquehanna

What's Lake Clarke like? Is it mostly deep? How far up or downstream can you run with about 3 feet of draft? What's the bottom?

Thanks for any info,
HW

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I am new to boating I can't be much help, but it is mostly deep. I am sure there are low spots. Thank God I haven't found them. I usually run up river to the islands and down river to Safe Harbor dam.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's about 7 miles long of pretty much completely open, deep, navigable waters. Downriver there's a dam, and up river there are 3 large islands in a row that you shouldn't go past. On the Lancaster side it gets shallow towards the shore but they mark it with buoys. It's fairly idiot proof there. I like it.

HappierWet

That sounds pretty cool. I'll have to add it to my list of places to try. It looks like about the same distance for me as going down to the Chesapeake. Any particular ramp especially good ( or bad for that matter ) from the east side?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well that's the rub. There really aren't any on the east side I don't think. (Brandon correct me if I'm wrong). There are two decent public ramps on the west side.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Well that's the rub. There really aren't any on the east side I don't think. (Brandon correct me if I'm wrong). There are two decent public ramps on the west side.

Yep, you are correct. No launches on the east side (Lancaster County). You have to put in on the west side (York County). There are several ramps and a couple of marinas on that side. Ramps are ok but not the greatest.

The others have described the lake well. About 7 miles long from the islands to the dam. Up to about 1 mile wide. Depth ranges from 5 feet to almost 40 down by the dam (Safe Harbor). We like to go there during the week buy try like crazy to avoid it on the weekends. It gets really busy.

IMO if it is about the same distance to the Chesapeake I would go there first. Tons of water and more to do. (Restaurants, sandbar, towns, etc.)

Here is a link to a map of the water:

http://www.longlevelmarina.com/images/lakemap.jpg

You can see the islands we are refering to across from the Route 624 road mark on the upper left side. If you go above this up to the bridge you will encounter very shallow rocky water.

There is a bouy line down by the dam with warning signs not to go any farther.

The map also marks the marinas and public boat launches which are free.

The bottom is muddy and rocky. If you anchor, make sure you don't use any kind of a plowing anchor (Danforth, etc) or you may loose it in the rocks.

Any more questions about Lake Clarke or the Upper Bay please feel free to ask or send me a PM and I will do my best to help answer them!

HappierWet

Thanks for the info. It's just an idea of somewhere else to explore. Yeah, I know the upper bay prettty well, especially the Eastern Shore......Elk, C&D, Bohemia, Sassafras.:) I love it down there, just can't seem to afford to live there without a huge commute:(

Thanks again for the input on Lake Clarke:cool:
HW

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not a lot of access points but Conowingo is pretty awesome as well.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Thanks for the info. It's just an idea of somewhere else to explore. Yeah, I know the upper bay prettty well, especially the Eastern Shore......Elk, C&D, Bohemia, Sassafras.:) I love it down there, just can't seem to afford to live there without a huge commute:(

Thanks again for the input on Lake Clarke:cool:
HW

Yeah, I know what you mean! I would love to live down on the bay!

If you ever make it down to Lake Clarke, let us know what you think of it!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is a shame the water is shallow and lots of rock up towards the old bridge. It would be a lot easier for me to launch from the Columbia River Park. I am hoping that if they continue with the plans to redo the area that they could put some kind of channel in. That would be a dream, of course.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anyone heading out Sunday? Not sure of my schedule yet?

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Anyone heading out Sunday? Not sure of my schedule yet?

I wish i was heading out today...kinda scrapped that idea friday when they said it was going to rain all weekend,,,,and of course today is going to be a beautiful day. I gotta get some things done around the house today so I guess we will shoot for next weekend.

Eairly goose season starts next week (tuesday) so there will be alot of shooting near the islands so you gotta be carefull where you go. Just south of the sand-bar is where most of the permenant blinds are set up (rookery island). And a bunch will set up decoys on the Lancaster side around the railroad water by-pass bridges... I never had any issues with the hunters, there is plenty of room but ya just gotta use a little more caution.
Denny

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

It is a shame the water is shallow and lots of rock up towards the old bridge. It would be a lot easier for me to launch from the Columbia River Park. I am hoping that if they continue with the plans to redo the area that they could put some kind of channel in. That would be a dream, of course.
I never heard they had plans to put a channel up by the bridge are they still talking about it????....I stay away from that area it gets trickey up there 5' water and rocks just under the surface.... I cant see the DNR letting them cut a channel it might indanger the mating habbbits of the 7 toe purple boobie mud frog LOL. it will take 30 years to get the permits and a 5 million dollar enviromental impact study in this state. Harisburg tried to get dredging permits 2 years ago to cut channels around city island and they were denied because of the impact on native reptiles etc. Apparently there is a rare frog that mates near the islands and dredging would hamper that.
Personally I dont care if a frog gotta go somewhere else to have sex, I just wanna go boating.

Well the way i see it in a few years animals will have the right to sue you for monitary damages if the presidents enviromental waco buddies get their way, so hold on. Heck the damn mouse that lives under your shed will have more rights than you do.
Now i got myself worked up,,, gotta go to the garage and wrap my head in duct-tape so it dont explode:eek: HAVE A GREAT DAY
Denny

HappierWet

I never heard they had plans to put a channel up by the bridge are they still talking about it????....I stay away from that area it gets trickey up there 5' water and rocks just under the surface.... I cant see the DNR letting them cut a channel it might indanger the mating habbbits of the 7 toe purple boobie mud frog LOL. it will take 30 years to get the permits and a 5 million dollar enviromental impact study in this state. Harisburg tried to get dredging permits 2 years ago to cut channels around city island and they were denied because of the impact on native reptiles etc. Apparently there is a rare frog that mates near the islands and dredging would hamper that.
Personally I dont care if a frog gotta go somewhere else to have sex, I just wanna go boating.

Well the way i see it in a few years animals will have the right to sue you for monitary damages if the presidents enviromental waco buddies get their way, so hold on. Heck the damn mouse that lives under your shed will have more rights than you do.
Now i got myself worked up,,, gotta go to the garage and wrap my head in duct-tape so it dont explode:eek: HAVE A GREAT DAY
Denny

:eek: UM.....RANT???? VENT? FEEL BETTER?:D Yeah, Pa. sucks :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'll be taking coolbikeguy for a ride on Tueday evening at Lake Clarke. Anyone else going to be around? He just bought a project Starcraft SS and I figured I would take him for a ride to give him some motivation.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hope you guys have a great time. Wish I could head out too but I have other plans for tonight.

Enjoy!

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to go out tonight but couldn't find anyone to help me launch and retrieve.:(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well you definitely should have let us know, We'd have been happy to help! River was glass and we had a nice run.

john3931

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well you definitely should have let us know, We'd have been happy to help! River was glass and we had a nice run.

I thought about it but until I get home from work and get over there, it would be 6:30 ot later. I figured you would be out on the water and didn't want to bother.