Pocket cruiser questions

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
We live on a smallish inland lake, but near to dozens of other lakes as well as the 1.000 Islands and the Rideau Canal system. Our current boat is ideal for our use at home, but my spirit of adventure has me looking around with interest at late-80's Doral Cavaliers. They are generally described as 24 ft. loa (including swim platform), 8.5 beam and under 5,000 lbs. We would use it here at home and pull it around to the Big Lake and perhaps leave it in the Canal for a while as well. Maybe take a trip up to Ottawa in the Fall, like that.

1. Trying to get a sense of relative size - there are no weekender boats on our lake, all toons and bowriders. You do see a lot of 21-foot bowriders. A boat such as the Cavalier (24 ft with galley) is perfect for the canal system and the 1,000 Islands, but would it seem out of place in our small lake (4 kms long, many bays and islands)? Do these boats sit low enough in the water to fit under a standard-size boathouse door?

2. The Cavalier I am going to take a look at soon is at a marina within an hour and a half, but like many of these I've seen on the web, comes with a 5.7 OMC motor. I would prefer a Merc for obvious reasons, but would the OMC motor be reason enough to pass this one by?

Opinions appreciated!:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Pocket cruiser queations

I don't know what a 'standard boathouse' door height is, but it's easy enough to measure the boat from the waterline to the top of the windshield or bimini.

The OMC question is really a matter of opinion. Mine is that there are so many boats for sale, that I don't need to buy one with obsolete machinery.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know what a 'standard boathouse' door height is, but it's easy enough to measure the boat from the waterline to the top of the windshield or bimini.

Few of these boats for sale in the early Spring are in the water. But I take your point, it is sort of a dumb question. I have between 6 ft 3 and 6 ft 10 clearance between the water line and the top pf the boathouse entrance, and 21 feet along the water line in length. I can check the lwl of the boat but not the height above the water line. I guess I would like to know whether these kinds of boats (w/o tower) generally rise to higher than 6 feet above the water.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I can check the lwl of the boat but not the height above the water line.

I'm not being a wiseguy, but I don't understand why this is difficult. Get on a step ladder, measure the total height of the boat on the ground, then subtract the distance from the waterline to the ground. Your limiting factor is going to be the height of the rigid bimini frame. I don't know if anyone can give you a 'general' answer to boat height above water

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

1) even with bimini folded, i think it will be more than 6ft from the water line. these boats sit tall because there is usually an aft bunk under the cockpit.
2) Only buy an OMC if you have found a local mechanic willing to work on them. there are still mechanics who know them, but less and less.
3) there are markets where small cruisers abound, and the north east is one...we have been 12 years in small cuddies/cruisers and find them perfect for family activities. Because of our geography, heat is needed more than AC. Many spring nights we have awaken to frost on the deck.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

First - how much do I regret the typo in the friggin topic line? Plenty!:facepalm:

Bubba -----> don't forget, these "pocket" cruisers have a V-berth, opposing couches, and a full galley with an enclosed head/shower, and an aft-cabin with 2 windows. Not a cuddy. Hate the cuddy! And anything bigger I'd have to play out of a marina, something I have no interest in doing, living as I do in a lake. My boathouse is in my actual house.

The OMC vessel is sold and there seem to be a number of Merc versions out there on the local market. Emails have been sent, I'm waiting to see if any are still available so I can actually see one in the flesh. Of course I will bring a tape measure. I was trying to get some idea of the height of these things in advance. Disappointing to hear they might well be higher than six feet above water. Of course, If need be I could try lowering the lake level . . . at the risk of dragging the skeg!