How many hours do these things last

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 22' Deck boat with a 1996 Mercruiser 5.7lx /Alpha 1 drive. I bought the boat 6 years ago with 69 hours on it(It sat about a few years before I bought it). When I got it I installed new manifolds, a waterpump impeller, and a Perko Flushpro a 147 degree thermostat and some other misc stuff, as well as having the drive resealed.

I use this boat exclusively in salt water, and put about 50-70 hours a year on it. It sits in a slip and gets used every weekend. It is flushed through the flushpro every outing, but that really only gets the exhaust flushed. After 3 years I replaced the manifolds again as well as the impeller as perventitive maintenance. I pull the drive off every other year, after I winterize it to look at the bellows.

This boat has never given me any real problems. It really runs nice, and uses/leaks no oil. I've had to replace the starter, the circulating pump and some other small odds and ends, but overall, its been very reliable. I've never overheated it, abused it or run it hard aground. I give it a through going over every fall when I pull it out of the water.

How many hours/years can I expect this power package to last? Right now I have 320 hours on it. I was hoping to get about 500 out of the engine and leg. Is that reasonable for a saltwater engine? Do other people get more time? What is the typical failure? I figure it has to rot through at sometime.

I'm thinking that I will just replace the engine at 550-600 hours with a 5.0MPI. As I said, my family uses the boat every weekend, and I'd rather do the engine on my own schedule in the winter than rush a new one in and ruin two weekends in the summer. Does that seem reasonable, or am I cutting this one's life short?

As far as the drive is concerned. I figure I'd just use this one until something fails, and replace it then being that it is pretty easy to swap out. How long do these Alpha 1's tend to last if not abused?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: How many hours do these things last

I was hoping to get about 500 out of the engine and leg. Is that reasonable for a saltwater engine?

With the preventative maintenance you do there is absolutely no reason why you should not be able to get at least 500 hours from that combination.

I'm thinking that I will just replace the engine at 550-600 hours with a 5.0MPI. Does that seem reasonable......

Not reasonable on a couple of levels. First - that block will last a long time and shouldn't give you trouble. It would be foolish (in my opinion) to simply replace the engine because of the hours.

Having said that - if you want to go ahead and replace it I would stay with the 5.7 liter. The weight is the same and the power output is better than the 5 liter. I know the MPI advertises similar HP to the carbed 350... but I would take that with a grain of salt.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never seen one last 2000 hours where I boat. My buddy owns a marina, and we've repowered a few boats with similar power packages with about 5-600 hours on them. Each on had failed because the manifolds rotted through. I wondered how long they would have lasted with proper care, but 5-600 hours seemed to be the magic number for something catastrophic.

I liked the idea of having EFI, and the 5.0MPI boats definately start easier than my boat, but if it is a sacrifice in power, I'll just stick to the carbed 5.7. 250hp really seems to be about right for my boat. Plenty of power to tow tubes, decent milage, ect. It is about the same price anyway. Who knows, maybe that 350mag will come down in price by the time I need one.

futz

Banned

3 years way to soon for replacing mani's, risers yes. you seem to have the same mindset as myself, concerning maintenance.

When you winterize, do you run a solution of salt-away thru the motor first?

Hard to estimate how many hours? You run it hard all the time at wot? If you run it at 1/3 of full wot most of the time i would not be surprised to see the motor running good for 20-25 maybe even more then 30 years.

BILL INGRAHAM

Seaman

2000 5.0 gi tbi gm fwc-volvo penta-similar motor-ocean all year-second set of exhaust and risers-just turned 816 hours.

skargo

Banned

I have an original 1978 Mercruiser 260(5.7). I bought it in April with 407 original hours, and it has 480 or so on it now.
Runs like a champ! The PO took amazingly good care of it, and it's now my obsession to do the same.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

SBC will go way over 1000 hrs if maintained. I bought my 99 Volvo Penta with 41 hrs on it and now have 900 and compression is same and uses no oil between changes.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you winterize, do you run a solution of salt-away thru the motor first?

Hard to estimate how many hours? You run it hard all the time at wot? If you run it at 1/3 of full wot most of the time i would not be surprised to see the motor running good for 20-25 maybe even more then 30 years.

I use salt away at the end of the year when I am laying the boat up, but I just use normal water to flush it after each run through the flushpro.

The manifolds and elbows are sometimes sold as a complete kit. I think I paid under $500 for good Osco ones last time I did it. Seemed like a good deal, I don't think I'd do the elbows without the manifolds too.

I'm not hard on the boat, but I'm not afraid to open it up. I usually cruise at 2500-3000 rpm (25-35mph). I'll run it wide open now and again (4500rpm, 52mph) for 30 sec or so. Mostly when I'm trying to throw someone off the tube, or when I want to beat another boat to the no wake zone.

I don't see the engine wearing out, I suspect it will rot through first.

Makes me feel better to see some of the hours some other salt water engines have run up.

futz

Banned

Deep pockets, replace mani's every 3 years, and yes 500 dollars 2 mani's 2 risers, and all the gaskets all in one box. Got to love it.

All i am saying is mani's good for at least 5-7 years, mine has 22 years on it riser changed once in 22 years , flushed everytime i come off the water.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll tell you, If I get 8-900 hours out of this engine/drive, I'd be extatic! That would be like 15 or so summers!

QC

Supreme Mariner

I liked the idea of having EFI, and the 5.0MPI boats definately start easier than my boat, but if it is a sacrifice in power, I'll just stick to the carbed 5.7. 250hp really seems to be about right for my boat. Plenty of power to tow tubes, decent milage, ect. It is about the same price anyway. Who knows, maybe that 350mag will come down in price by the time I need one.
Just one comment, as I agree with the others on 1000+ life expectancy.

A 260 5.0 MPI will easily run with a Carbed 250. Yes, there is no replacement for displacement, but Volvo 5.7 MPI's are making 320 now, so you have to compare like for like. Carb to carb, MPI to MPI. Then the displacement comparison becomes valid. If somebody came to me and said here is a Carbed 250 5.7 or a 5.0 MPI, I would grab the MPI in a heartbeat and expect slightly better performance, better fuel effiency and all of the other niceties that go with EFI.

Engine manufacturers sell horsepower. Their ratings are also monitored/tested according to NMMA standards. There is no reason to expect that a 250 will outrun a 260 regardless of displacement or fuel system. Heck modern 4.3 MPIs will outrun some older 5.7s.

706jim

Recruit

1900 hours; none of them fishing. Typical rpms 2800-3000.

But this was in FRESH water.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

a fwc kit that includes the maifolds would be a huge improvement then you wont have to replace the manifolds just the risers.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

a fwc kit that includes the maifolds would be a huge improvement then you wont have to replace the manifolds just the risers.

That's a good option with a new engine, but not one that has been used in salt water. The block will continue to flake and clog up the heat exchanger.

gadget73

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're debating 5.0 MPI, theres not really much reason to not go 5.7 MPI with closed cooling so you never have to be concerned about it. I don't like carbs much myself, so I'm all for fuel injection, but I'm also a motorhead and I like to be able to lay on some speed when its (in)appropriate.

That said, I wouldn't expect less than 500 hours out of your current setup and maintenance plan. I have brackish water here, and I got 15 years and I'm guessing at least 800 hours out of my motors before I had a head rot through. I replaced the manifolds at 10 years of age, and basically that was it, outside of standard maintenance. The first 8 years the boat was in a salt environment and seldom used, so it got its unfair share of abuse from neglect.