275 Drive on Aq131a has Oil in bellows

shawnn82

Seaman
Just found out removing one side of the bellows i got quite a bit of oil pour out of there. The texture was consistent with that of chocolate milk. I Drained the Drive and got clean green oil to come out. THe oil was changed 2 boat trips ago. Where do you think the leak could be coming from? Would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 275 Drive on Aq131a has Oil in bellows

Not sure what you are using for gear lube, but it should be SAE30 engine oil, not gear lube.

Sound like your problem is water and gear lube in the bellow. Time for a new bellows and front seal in the upper gear box.
What did the gear lube look like when you drained it last time.

shawnn82

Seaman

Not sure what you are using for gear lube, but it should be SAE30 engine oil, not gear lube.
I dont know, I had someone do it for me. Will replace with what you have suggested.

What did the gear lube look like when you drained it last time.
It did not look like the color it was now. If i remember correctly it looked more like used engine oil.

Sound like your problem is water and gear lube in the bellow. Time for a new bellows and front seal in the upper gear box.
DO you know what the part reference for the seal would be in the parts breakdown attached?
This is my first time pulling the upper gear and i have no idea what im looking at or for.

uppergear.JPG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The seal is #19 in your picture. #21 is also a steel washer the seal rides on, if it's rusted or grooved, it needs replaced too.
Here is a link to download the service manual.
http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html

You also so not have to remove the complete outdrive to service the upper gear box or the bellows. Only the upper gear box removal will be necessary. Have a look at this thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

shawnn82

Seaman

The seal is #19 in your picture. #21 is also a steel washer the seal rides on, if it's rusted or grooved, it needs replaced too.

You also so not have to remove the complete outdrive to service the upper gear box or the bellows. Only the upper gear box removal will be necessary.
Thanks Don, Pulled the upper out and have the parts on order. Any suggestions as far as replacing these parts myself? Is it pretty straight forward or am i gonna need some special tools? Also while i have the upper removed is there anything else to do a good preventative maintenance on? Also, should i grease the U Joints? If so what type of grease?