Evinrude Fichts.....3 light salute

jwl04

Cadet
So the EMM was removed and its enroute to the factory for repair. This EMM was refurbished 2 yrs ago. 2 years ago, it was not allowing the engine to exceed 2000 RPM. This time, the EMM would shut down the engine following about 1 hour of use. The engine restarted following about a 15 min rest period just to repete the same symptoms.

I know this is an EMM issue, but my question is what causes the EMM to become damaged or is this just something tbhat happens? I recently replaced the batteries so Im confident its not a charging issue....

Any ideas?

Thanks alot

Jeff

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Fichts.....3 light salute

How did you determine it was an EMM prob ??

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Isn't there a limp home mode that cuts power & rpms if a significant problem is detected? It sounds like time for a factory repair manual and some diagnostics. The RPMs may have been limited for a reason, and you need to investigate. Take it to a dealer if you must for proper diagnosis since this is a newer motor that can be hooked up to specialized dealer diagnostic tools. Maybe it is just the EMM, maybe not. It is important to determine which it is.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

Take it to a dealer if you must for proper diagnosis since this is a newer motor that can be hooked up to specialized dealer diagnostic tools. Maybe it is just the EMM, maybe not.

uhmmm... when the EMM is on the way to DFI i think this is currently not an option :D

i would also be interested how you made absolutely sure the EMM is your problem

Haffiman

Commander

A complete shut down of the EMM I think only happens if it gets severely overheated. This is normally due to a short in one component. Check out your injectors as well, or if a water cooled version your impeller and cooling system.

jwl04

Cadet

I was told by the dealership that the dealership that's the 3 light salute indicates an internal problem with the EMM..

jwl04

Cadet

Haffiman...The dealership stated the 3 light salute indicates a problem within the EMM...Im thinking the EMM was damaged from it getting overheated, none of my alarms sounded prior to the 3 lights indicating a possible overheating issue....

jwl04

Cadet

Water cooled, engine appears to be circulating water fine

Haffiman

Commander

The engine circuit may be ok, but what about the EMM circuit? When did you last change impeller?

jwl04

Cadet

Good point, we changed them out about a year and half ago...ironically on the other engine, the alarm sounds when the engine is in idle but is fine with it in gear....think we should switch out with inpellers?

Haffiman

Commander

Good point, we changed them out about a year and half ago...ironically on the other engine, the alarm sounds when the engine is in idle but is fine with it in gear....think we should switch out with inpellers?
Might be a good starting point unless you want to melt down the other EMM as well?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The three lights on the guage indicate the EMM has **** the bed. Overheating the EMM can cause this problem. Look at a recent engine report. Has it gone above 212 degrees? If so, you need to look at the cooling system completely.

Don't send it to DFI. I have sent a lot of EMMs to them and have had the same problem 600 dollars later. The BEST recourse is to send it to BRP and have them send you a remanned unit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does BRP still have remanned units ??

jwl04

Cadet

Im not sure if BRP has remanned units...I already sent it out though due to the 3 light salute... going have it refurbished and install it....Going to ensure that the cooling system is functioning correctly before I run it again......

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes BRP sells remanned units. You send in yours. They put the information from your old one on to a remanned unit and send it to you. You don't get back your original. BRP is the BEST option from my experience.

jwl04

Cadet

Thanks for the info...I will def look into it

tony1224

Cadet

Thanks for the info...I will def look into it

Hello guys.I have the same problem with my EMM.Mine start it having problems about 1 year a go.It use to run fine for about an hour and it use to shutdown the engine without warnings or anything.If you will try to started again the 3 light will state on and the engine will not start again for another hour"guessing as it cool down"It have been doing that for the past year.Today finally quit and it took about 4 hours after to start again for about 3 min and them it did not start again.I hook it to the computer with the software and all I got it was a message saying that it was no communication between the computer and the engine.This time I think that finally had it.Any advice from you guys will help.It looks like we are having the same problem.Do you think that it is the EMM problem?Also can you guide me to where to send it for repair and how much do they charge a dealer refurbish and where is the best place to send it basic on your experience?Thanks in advance for the help:confused: