My 1976 Johnson 35 horse in my 14 alumicraft. My new old boat

We had it running but not well. Today: I dumped the old gas and put new in. 49:1 new spark plugs. top was wet bottom was dry and black. After running it for a little while I was able to get it to idle for about 2 minutes. I once was able to give it gas and it purred like a kitten but then died. It sneezes a little every once in awhile. I backed the needle valve out 1 1/4 turns like I have read. I'm thinking gunked up carb.
After fooling with it for 10 minutes it finally settled down. Idled perfect. Reved perfect. I let it idle in a tup for about 30 minutes. Increasing the rpm every once in awhile. Just to check if it in fact was running well.
So I thought I fixed it by cleaning out the carbs. I unhooked the fuel line and let the engine run out of fuel. Let the engine set for about an hour. Hooked up the gas again and primed the bulb and fired it up. @#!? It's sputters and spits and chokes and dyes again. This kept up for another 10 minutes. Then it ran fine again? What gives. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks again.
Josh

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My 1976 Johnson 35 horse in my 14 alumicraft. My new old boat

Sounds to me like there is some crud in the carb or the tank. Is there an in-line fuel filter? I suggest checking the filter screen inside the fuel pump and making sure the tank is good and clean, try screwing the low speed needle all the way in and then back out a couple of times and if that doesn't help, then I would do a carb re-build.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Be gentle with the needle valve.

The tank is brand new. There is no inline filter. I'm skittle apprehensive to start messing with other components such as fuel pump and carb, just for the simple fact of lack of knowledge. What if I just keep running it in my drum. Will letting it idle clean gunk out too!!

I got fed up. I pulled that carb off today. It looked clean but I broke it down and cleaned it out anyway. When I put it all back together it sputtered and fussed for a bit but now runs fine. But hears my othe question. When I pull the top plug wire it runs fine. But when I pull the bottom plug wire it dies? What's that mean? I know they are both getting fire cause they both shocked the fire out of me:)

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Both cylinder wires may be firing when you hold the sparkplug boots in your hands, but inside the cylinder under compression a weak spark may turn into a negligible or non-existent spark. 1976 was the first year for your series of motor, but also the last for conventional breaker point ignition. The Breaker point ignition is cheap and easy to service but weaker in the spark and will gradually go "out of tune" as breaker point contacts wear. You may need to perform an old fashioned tune-up (easily done fortunately).

64osby

Admiral

Check you compression before you start replacing ignition parts. You may have a bad cylinder or head gasket.

jbjennings

Captain

Ditto on the last two posts. YOur spark is definitley bad on one cylinder.
JBJ

First of all I would like to thank you all for your knowledge, and understanding the lack of mine. I think I have my mind wrapped around this now. I need to first test compression. Then pull the flywheel to expose my condensers and points. Check the points for corrosion and proper gap. Replace both condensers and points if needed. I'm gonna pickup a harmonic puller tonight. Any idea on what to retorque the flywheel at. Also proper gap of points. Will 400 grit sandpaper work for cleaning points like I read on another thread? Should the auto parts store have the correct bolts for the harmonic puller? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. One more thing, will they have a compression tester

AlTn

Commander

grade 8 bolts and washers, 1/4 " x 20 tpi...2x1/4 " long will work....020 in, for the poits gap...400 will work, but wash the grit out with some acetone or the like...let the points close on a business card or brown paper and pull it through a few times helps as well...auto zone and o'reilly's will "loan' you a gauge if you don't want to purchase one....f/w torque I don't know

I could only find 2 inch bolts. Will that be long enough. Also I found a thread that said. Torgue on a flywheel is 100-110 does that seem right.

AlTn

Commander

2" should be ok depending on the design of the puller...torque spec. I wouldn't guess on...I'm sure it won't be any higher than 100 ft/lbs, but may be in the 60- 80 range

Well I ordered new points and condensers. They should be hear the beginning of next week. But in the meantime. I'm gonna take the boat out on little river. Slow moving narrow and deep. Gonna play up river and set some lines that way if I run into trouble. I can just troll back down. It's retrieving my lines that it gonna be tricky. If it starts sputtering and spitting. Can't I just unplug the top spark plug. Has anyone every done that? Wish me luck

Well the boat did fine. Fired on both cylinders. Ran Like a dream. Is it possible that the points cleared themselves out? Started fine ran fine all the above. Burned 3 gallons no problems. But.. I do believe that this boat is way over powered. As long as I don't open it up all the way it should be realitively safe right. Now as far as the leak situation what do you all recommend for hole repairs?

64osby

Admiral

Well the boat did fine. Fired on both cylinders. Ran Like a dream.

Now as far as the leak situation what do you all recommend for hole repairs?

Glad it ran good, but I would be ready to revisit the issue.

On the hole repairs, you should start a thread in the renovation section, include pictures. There are many who will give sound advice, and a few who won't.;)