old mercury controll acting up

michigander

Recruit
I have a 650 merc outboard from 1966 and it has the old shifter with the idle bar and the shifter.

It works great until I put it in reverse and give it some gas. Then it locks right in that reverse gear. This has happened twice now and each time I get home and it works fine when I go to troubleshoot it.

Anyone has any thoughts on why this is happening?

michigander

Recruit
Re: old mercury controll acting up

This looks like the controlled that is in my boat. When I push the throttle down the high idle bar goes down.

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: old mercury controll acting up

The fast idle bar should be raised or lowered by yourself, it should not move otherwise. It is designed to be held in place by a spring tensioned pin which engages the inside of the idle lever when it is in the down position. The pin, spring etc are items 13/14/15 and 16 iin the drawing. If you have a look with the idle lever raised, you should see the pin protruding from the hole in the case half and you will see the small ramp on the inside of the lever which guides the pin up into a lock detent when fully down.

If the locking pin is missing or not doing it's job, the lever will rise with action on the throttle/shifter.

Gerry