Install of lower shifter cable

theboyner

Cadet
Hi guys. I am following advice from earlier threads and am about to replace the lower shifter cable on my 1988 Mercruiser 3.7 L but have three questions before i start. My supplier provided me with a Quicksilver replacement part...Possibly after market...yes? I ask this because i was earlier advised to set up the new install by following the Shop Manual directions, not after market instructions. The only difference is that the shop manual directs to cut the cable to length by measurement procedure and the Quicksilver instructions says it already at .length..which to believe and follow. Secondly, my cable was so frozen that i cannot get into gear when running without shutting down the engine. The problem is that the s.m. directs to be in forward gear in order to remove the lower leg in anticipation of install...obviously cant do it...is there an alternative process or what problems get created if i try to do the install withouit shifting into forward gear??? TheBoyner

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Install of lower shifter cable

Hi guys. I am following advice from earlier threads and am about to replace the lower shifter cable on my 1988 Mercruiser 3.7 L but have three questions before i start. My supplier provided me with a Quicksilver replacement part...Possibly after market...yes?

No... Quicksilver is Mercury's accessories brand label.

theboyner said:
I ask this because i was earlier advised to set up the new install by following the Shop Manual directions, not after market instructions. The only difference is that the shop manual directs to cut the cable to length by measurement procedure and the Quicksilver instructions says it already at .length..which to believe and follow.

Follow the instructions with the cable. Merc produced cables cut correctly AFTER the manual was printed. I assume you are using a proper MERCURY manual, not a seloc or clymer...

theboyner said:
Secondly, my cable was so frozen that i cannot get into gear when running without shutting down the engine.

So put it in gear WITHOUT the engine running....

theboyner said:
The problem is that the s.m. directs to be in forward gear in order to remove the lower leg in anticipation of install...obviously cant do it...is there an alternative process or what problems get created if i try to do the install withouit shifting into forward gear??? TheBoyner

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing and EXACTLY how the system works, it's not easy to take a drive off without being in forward.... I've done it a few times, and it's NOT pretty.... Let me just say the air takes on a blue tinge....

Chris.......

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You can take the drive off without it being in forward gear if you remove the lower unit first. Then the shaft will be able to drop out of "shoe" and the upper unit can then be removed with the drive in any gear.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

You can take the drive off without it being in forward gear if you remove the lower unit first. Then the shaft will be able to drop out of "shoe" and the upper unit can then be removed with the drive in any gear.
+1 to Fishermark's post....but I would believe this method is only applicable to pre-genII alphas (sounds like this one is an Alpha-1, just based on the year info - unvalidated). KTB

achris

More fish than mountain goat

+1 to Fishermark's post....but I would believe this method is only applicable to pre-genII alphas (sounds like this one is an Alpha-1, just based on the year info - unvalidated). KTB

It's easier with the Gen II. The shift shaft comes away with the lower and then there is nothing restricting the upper from being removed... But it's a pain to have to split the boxes just to get them off the bell housing...