19XX 16' starcraft aluminum boat

itfitz98

Cadet
Ok, I just got this boat and got a hell of a deal on it.....free. I found it in someones yard burried in the bushes and full of water. I left a ntoe on the guys truck and when I spoke to him, he told me I could have it if I wanted it. He also threw in an old trolling motor, some old junky chair, and anchor and the best little prize was a 1956 Johnson 5.5hp tiller which is worth the price of admission right there.

My question is trying to figure out what year it is. He told me it was a 70's model but didnt know which year. I'm restoring it to its original glory, but without the touchmatic evinrude.

The HIN (which is scratched into the paint and looks like it was painted over) is one of three things I think.

1NZ062687A30
1N2062687030
1N2062687G30

The only things that are changed in it are 1N2062687G30

itfitz98

Cadet
Re: 19XX 16' starcraft aluminum boat

Here are some pics:

IMG_20120511_172503.jpg

IMG_20120511_172511.jpg

IMG_20120511_172533.jpg

IMG_20120511_172546.jpg

IMG_20120511_172557.jpg

IMG_20120511_172604.jpg

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Wow, what a sweet hull, and free to boot!!! I would check the dimensions, could also be a Nassau. Also, that windshield looks mid 60's or older, they switched designs around 1965. Welcome to the starmada!

itfitz98

Cadet

Dimension are as follows, if anyone can help me...

Length 15' 10"
Bean 66"
Transom is 16"

hard to tell deck hight sine I just ripped out the floor and i dont think it was original anyways. If there is something I'm missing, let me know and I'll take the tape measure to it right quick.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, itfitz98. I think you paid too much. LOL She looks worthy of restoration or fixing to get her back on the water. No idea on what year/model. I HIN prob stars with INZ - Indiana Homemade Boat, state issued. I found that info here. Did the PO have any paperwork? Sometimes you just end up with "I have an old Starcraft" and have fun with her.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Take a look at this
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/...965 Starcraft/?action=view&current=196501.jpg

I just picked the year of '65, but these are the specs for that year. Sounds a lot like a Nassau, where did you get the 66" number from? I would measure the width of the transom area as well. Color wise also looks VERY similar to a mid 60's Nassau/ Dolphin (only difference was the seating).

Looking at it again, did you measure the length along the gunwale or the center line? You dimensions are very similar to the Jet Star as well, and they had the short transoms.

Last edited:

itfitz98

Cadet

Take a look at this
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/...965 Starcraft/?action=view&current=196501.jpg

I just picked the year of '65, but these are the specs for that year. Sounds a lot like a Nassau, where did you get the 66" number from? I would measure the width of the transom area as well. Color wise also looks VERY similar to a mid 60's Nassau/ Dolphin (only difference was the seating).

Looking at it again, did you measure the length along the gunwale or the center line? You dimensions are very similar to the Jet Star as well, and they had the short transoms.

I measured the centerline and it was right at 15' 10" or 11", little hard to be exact. The reason I thought it was a 58 was because of the pictures that I found that look exactly like her. if you follow the link in my original post and look she has the same spot lights, the same bow light, the same steering wheel, the same windshield, which is why I was leaning towards that year and model. I guess I'll figure it out eventually..

itfitz98

Cadet

WOO HOO....upon further investigation I found the original stamped tag still visible on the back inside of the boat near the transom. Half painted over, but still visible it is a 16' Viking. the other number is 61-7499. So is it a 61?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Wow, cool! Never seen that model before, she looks sweeeeeeeet! Yep, with that serial number would mean a '61.

itfitz98

Cadet

It seems to be an oddball model that was only made for a year or two for the research that I have been able to do. Now I just need some interior pics.

I got the floor gutted out of her, well, what was left of it and need to take a pressure washer to it, then I'm going to sand blast her as I think that will probably be the easiest path. Lord only knows how many layers of paint she has, but the blue on the deck is pealing off and it looks to be white under it. Still lots of discovering to do. I think maybe tommorow I'll call starcraft to see if they have the brochure for it.

I'm really excited to have been able to get my hands on this old gem and save her. The PO was considering taking her to the scrap yard for the aluminum.

I also need to find an early 60's outboard for her, but I got plenty of time for that. I have a 1956 5.5hp johnson that I think I may throw on her as a kicker but still have lots of descisions to make and so many ideas. This will compliment my other boat well as the biggest complaint is that its a fishing boat and no place for the family to sit. She is rated for up to a 75hp which I think might be a little much for that thing, but would be nice and quick.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

WOO HOO....upon further investigation I found the original stamped tag still visible on the back inside of the boat near the transom. Half painted over, but still visible it is a 16' Viking. the other number is 61-7499. So is it a 61?

The magic tag answers all. :D Glad you found it. My '66 S/N starts 66- so I think you have a 1961 Viking. Do you a have a red beard and a tin hat with horns?
LOL

itfitz98

Cadet

The magic tag answers all. :D Glad you found it. My '66 S/N starts 66- so I think you have a 1961 Viking. Do you a have a red beard and a tin hat with horns?
LOL

Got a red beard....the tin hat wont be far off...

64osby

Admiral

...then I'm going to sand blast her as I think that will probably be the easiest path.

Sand blasting Alum can warp and weaken it. Soda blasting is the way to go I heard of others using walnut shells (??) Others use Aircraft stripper.

Very nice boat:cool:, There is no such thing as a free boat, it didn't cost you anything but.......:eek::D

itfitz98

Cadet

Sand blasting Alum can warp and weaken it. Soda blasting is the way to go I heard of others using walnut shells (??) Others use Aircraft stripper.

Very nice boat:cool:, There is no such thing as a free boat, it didn't cost you anything but.......:eek::D

I know....at the end of the day and 2 years from now I'm thinking its going to cost me about 4k, which isnt too aweful bad for a fully restored antique boat I dont think.

I started pulling off the accessories last night, and then today I will tinker some more and see how hard the paint is going to be to get off her.

jbcurt00

Staff member

It's darn nasty stuff to work with, but the Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper is the stuff. $40/gal at a-zone here. But rrumba hooked me up w/ the Summit racing web price of $21.xx/gal. Printed listing & a-zone matched it:D Makes it almost buy 1 get 1 free:D

It took the original SC paint, possibly another coat of unknown paint (this may have been the factory paint melted & mixed w/ melted bedliner goo), and truck bedliner off fairly easy. It is exceptionally nasty to work with however. Full body coverage, chemically resistant & heavy duty gloves, and safety glasses required! <<--- Can stress all that enough. Face shield would be better.

Laying in the bilge, working under the bow cap, and only scraping away from myself, when the scrapper hit a rivet (w/ very little pressure &/or pushing from me) it was enough of a flick to have melted bedliner goo & stripper drops to hit my left cheek.... Not pleasant. Not pleasant at all.

But it was getting it done!

itfitz98

Cadet

LOL

So I went looking for the number that I saw to order brochures for my old tub, but cant seem to find the thread, so if any of ya'll know where it is or could repost it, that would be awesome.