Ring Free, does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James R

Commander
I Have never used a so called ring freeing additive so your unbiased input would be greatly appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Ring Free, does it work?

I've used Ringfree in my 1999 Yamaha 90C since it was new and have had no carbon problems at all. Ringfree was developed specifically for Yamaha by the Oronite Additives Division of Chevron, who has been in the marine fuel additives business a long time. At the "carbon preventive" dosage of 1 ounce per 10 gallons of gas it's pretty cheap insurance against carbon stuck piston rings. With the repair/replacement prices of outboard motors I feel that many preventive maintenance items and procedures pay for themselves over time. Check: Marine Fuel Additives for lots of information on this subject. Good Luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Having never used it does not mean you missed out on anything. If your engine is a two stroke, yes, it can help if stuck/carboned rings and combustion chambers is an issue. If not, you don't need it. There are lots of other products (SeaFoam is just one) that performs the same function and likely less expensive. It is also a great fuel system cleaner.

robert graham

Admiral

It's endlessly debatable wheather any of these "snake-oil" additives work or don't work. Like I mentioned, I've used the Ringfree in my motor since it was new in 1999, with no apparent problems...wheather or not the Ringfree actually prevented carbon in my motor is not provable. I'll keep using Ringfree and the Stabil Stabilizer and a fuel/water Separator...motor runs like new, all the time!;)

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I could never find ringfree in my area, so I use SeaFoam. No idea if it helps but it makes me feel better. 500 plus hours and no problems.

James R

Commander

Unless we get someone who has got a noticeable improvement in compression after using these products then we have no real evidence of it working to free rings.
Hope we get someone.
Thanks for the responses guys.

robert graham

Admiral

Yamaha does recommend Ringfree in their owners and service manuals, and carbon stuck rings can be a real problem, especially in 2 stroke motors. Folks use Ringfree and Seafoam at higher dosages to decarbon motors. But again, it's hard to prove or disprove that either product prevents carbon. I'll keep using Ringfree, Stabil, a fuel/water separator, and I drain my carbs about twice a year and especially at winter shut down. So far, so good!;)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I'm no expert, but I've used it continuously in my 03 F90 as the previous owner told me he had used it from day one, and a bottle came w the boat. I recently drained my carbs for the first time since purchased in 07 and was suprised to find no varnish or gunk at all, just clean gas. I installed a fuel/water filter in 08 after "issues" from using ethanol fuel. I also use Stabil marine formula over the winter and run my motor about once a month on the muffs. I use non-ethanol gas as long as they keep selling it at a local Shell station. They now only make Ringfree in full synthetic and it costs a little more than the original stuff. I'm w Robert on the "cheap insurance" and hope I never have to make some undoubtedly expensive repairs to my 4stroke, If I keep using it.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yamaha's used by Navy got up over 8500(thats over eight THOUSAND) hrs of operation using ringfree....Yamaha is very adamant about it's
use and that's good enough for me....I've learned to trust Yamaha.

Jeff_H

Cadet

FWIW I'm running a 2000 OX66 150HP. I bought it used 18 months ago. Previous owner ran Ring Free and Yamaha 2M oil. The dealer I use for service contends if you use Ring Free, Startron (enzyme based fuel additive from Star Brite), and Yamaha 2M oil you'll face the best odds of running trouble free, as it pertains to fuel.

My project this summer is to add a fuel/water separator to the fuel line.

Jeff

James R

Commander

So far everything is very inconclusive. We still don't have anyone that can state that they have experienced an improvement in compression.
Looks like "snake oil" is the conclusion at the moment.

robert graham

Admiral

Carbon in 2 stroke outboards is a known potential problem. Products like Ringfree and Seafoam were developed to address the carbon issue. Some folks use it and some folks don't, but It's like rolling the dice on your preventive maintenance. It's very similar to the "how ofter to replace the water pump impeller" issue, every year, every 2, 3, 5 years?...the only real answer is "before it fails and burns up my motor"...Good Luck!;)

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

I live in Australia and have been given a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke 2 cylinder 1986 model (30M?), my son in law bought it but only took it out twice with the last time him needing to paddle due to the motor stopping. When I first received it I gave it a fresh tank of petrol started it up and warmed it up with no apparent problem, took it out and thats when it happened again to me.
The motor starting loosing power and then stopped and wouldn't start for 30 pulls or so. I was towed part way to the ramp and manage to start it again as I was being towed. After this episode, I investigated a few things and found my spark plugs were fowling. I put new plugs in and she fired straight away, but later stalled again while I had her under test in a drum of water to flush her. I tried to start her again and same thing hard to start and fowled plugs. I did a compression test to find out the bottom cylinder was 120 psi and the top 135 psi which was just in Yamaha tolerence (15psi or 25%) but an obviuos reason why she was playing up as it was the bottom spark plugs doing most of the fowling.
After testing her with compression, I decided to read more regarding the power head and asking some outboard dealers their opinion, the mercury dealer advised the motor was worn, the Yamaha dealer advised that "Ring free may work on an old engine, don't use new plugs till shock treatment is finished." So in saying all this I am in the process of using Yamaha's Ring Free which is like hen's teeth in Australia, After running it for 30 minutes with a mix of 100:1 ratio, ring free at it's spec ratio, I found the motor idling a lot better than it has, I am yet to check compression as I want to finish all Ring Free tank. I will post what my findings are after running a full tank :confused:

Capt Ken

Commander

I've used Ring Free as a cleaner all the time for fuel systems but not in the normal dosage. We learned how to use it in the Yamaha schools back in the early 90's when they first came out with it. I've taken engines with weak cylinders that was not due to damaged cylinders and ran pure Ring Free thru them. Yep, that right. Pure Ring Free. You can only do this with oil injected engines but drop the fuel hose in the bottle, and as it gets drawn into the engine you have to start closing the choke to keep it running. After the bottle is empty, shut the engine off and let it sit overnight. The next day you have to spray fuel into the carb to get it running, but it will blow all kinds of black gunk out of the exhaust. I've taken badly carboned cylinders with low compression and brought them back up to normal range. I've also run engines on a half gallon of gas with a full bottle of Ring Free and will actually do the same. Now for a little known secret. Techron is the same stuff. Yamaha claims that Ring Free is a heavier concentration but I've yet to prove it. Back in the 90's, the Yamaha techs use to tell us to use Techron if we couldn't get our hands on Ring Free.
Remember once years ago I had a 200 Yamaha with a mid range surge that I couldn't solve. Rebuilt the carbs several time with no solution. That was when a Yamaha Tech at the school told me to try the pure Ring Free and let it sit overnight trick. I did it and it cured the problem. So its not just for carbon in the cylinders, it will keep deposits out of the fuel system. Also, Ring Free is the only non oil based additive on the market. All the others use kerosene or mineral spirits.

Capt Ken

Commander

Another trick we've learned early on. The green stain in the bowls of carbs that are impossible to remove. Pour a bit of Ring Free in the bowls and it will disappear.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I live in Australia and have been given a 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke 2 cylinder 1986 model (30M?), my son in law bought it but only took it out twice with the last time him needing to paddle due to the motor stopping. When I first received it I gave it a fresh tank of petrol started it up and warmed it up with no apparent problem, took it out and thats when it happened again to me.
The motor starting loosing power and then stopped and wouldn't start for 30 pulls or so. I was towed part way to the ramp and manage to start it again as I was being towed. After this episode, I investigated a few things and found my spark plugs were fowling. I put new plugs in and she fired straight away, but later stalled again while I had her under test in a drum of water to flush her. I tried to start her again and same thing hard to start and fowled plugs. I did a compression test to find out the bottom cylinder was 120 psi and the top 135 psi which was just in Yamaha tolerence (15psi or 25%) but an obviuos reason why she was playing up as it was the bottom spark plugs doing most of the fowling.
After testing her with compression, I decided to read more regarding the power head and asking some outboard dealers their opinion, the mercury dealer advised the motor was worn, the Yamaha dealer advised that "Ring free may work on an old engine, don't use new plugs till shock treatment is finished." So in saying all this I am in the process of using Yamaha's Ring Free which is like hen's teeth in Australia, After running it for 30 minutes with a mix of 100:1 ratio, ring free at it's spec ratio, I found the motor idling a lot better than it has, I am yet to check compression as I want to finish all Ring Free tank. I will post what my findings are after running a full tank :confused:

Welcome Micklovin. Before you post your results please read the forum rules and please don't ignore the red banner at the bottom of the page. This is an old thread and we don't post to inactive threads. Start a new thread with your results. Thanks.

James R

Commander

Gentlemen.
All of your comments are very helpful and very much appreciated. Looks like ring free may have some beneficial attributes and is certainly worth investigating further. Techron should not be ruled out also. Food for thought.
Thanks for all of your responses.

bopap

Recruit
I have a question. They say if you use ring free as shock treatment that you have to change plugs after you shock it. Does using this product as additive foul the plugs?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
bopap - Please start a new thread with your question. This one is old and considered inactive. Thanks.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i clean and inspect my plugs every spring,and they would have a light amontt of carbon on them.since using ring free they come out like new

Status
Not open for further replies.