wet plugs

pookie1135

Cadet
hi i have a 05 90 hp 2 stroke. idle rough plugs r wet.comp 125 each cyl.adjusted floats.put new tank fresh gas.runs great at full speed.have good spark at 7/16" gap.any sug. would be great.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: wet plugs

When were the carbs last cleaned?

Often a rough idle plus seemingly fine WOT is a sign the carbs are getting dirty enough to restrict fuel flow in the small passages of the idle circuits.

Some owners religiously add both stabilizer and SeaFoam at EVERY fuel up to keep fuel quality and carbs clean, prolonging the period between carb cleanings by many years.

You MAY try adding SeaFoam to your fuel and see if it clears the idle passages and smoothes the idle as you use this tank of fuel

HOWEVER< that could dislodge chunks of crud and further block a passage and worsen the condition, which would require proper carb cleaning.

Your choice, clean the carbs now, or clean them later, eventually they are going to need done.

pookie1135

Cadet

When were the carbs last cleaned?

Often a rough idle plus seemingly fine WOT is a sign the carbs are getting dirty enough to restrict fuel flow in the small passages of the idle circuits.

Some owners religiously add both stabilizer and SeaFoam at EVERY fuel up to keep fuel quality and carbs clean, prolonging the period between carb cleanings by many years.

You MAY try adding SeaFoam to your fuel and see if it clears the idle passages and smoothes the idle as you use this tank of fuel

HOWEVER< that could dislodge chunks of crud and further block a passage and worsen the condition, which would require proper carb cleaning.

Your choice, clean the carbs now, or clean them later, eventually they are going to need done.

i have torn apart all three carbs cleaned and blew out.i have idel screw out one and a half turns.not sure how to set.how much seafoam would u add?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

i have torn apart all three carbs cleaned and blew out.i have idel screw out one and a half turns.not sure how to set.how much seafoam would u add?

1 & 1/2 turns out from lightly seated is the starting point, that should give you just enough fuel to start the motor and get it into gear while ON THE WATER.

You GOT TO be on the water to have the proper exhaust back-pressure and MUST BE in gear for the proper load on the motor.

Now, one at a time slowly turn each idle mixture screw out til the motor reaches its 'Best idle speed' while IN Forward gear. And I mean S L O W L Y turn the idle screws.

Once you get to 'Best idle" you then have to start adding even more idle fuel mixture to provide the additional fuel necessary for crisp acceleration. Baack each idle mixture screw out almost 1/8 additional turn.

Test acceleration/holeshot, any hesitation, lean miss proves a need for even more fuel. Back out each mixture screw just the width of the screw driver blade slot and retest acceleration/holeshot.

Repeat to perfection.

pookie1135

Cadet

1 & 1/2 turns out from lightly seated is the starting point, that should give you just enough fuel to start the motor and get it into gear while ON THE WATER.

You GOT TO be on the water to have the proper exhaust back-pressure and MUST BE in gear for the proper load on the motor.

Now, one at a time slowly turn each idle mixture screw out til the motor reaches its 'Best idle speed' while IN Forward gear. And I mean S L O W L Y turn the idle screws.

Once you get to 'Best idle" you then have to start adding even more idle fuel mixture to provide the additional fuel necessary for crisp acceleration. Baack each idle mixture screw out almost 1/8 additional turn.

Test acceleration/holeshot, any hesitation, lean miss proves a need for even more fuel. Back out each mixture screw just the width of the screw driver blade slot and retest acceleration/holeshot.

Repeat to perfection.

ill try that this weekend. tks.any idea why the plugs r so wet?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You may be seeing oil, not fuel.

Double check the linkage on the oiler, once you disconnect it the spring opens oiling all the way. It is too easy to reattach the linkage with the arm turned 180 out, which is a LOT of oil at an idle. The bigger problem is that as throttle is applied it turns oiling down, reducing oil.

Disconnect the linkage at the oiler and see how it turns wide open. Turn it back around to reattach the linkage. Check that the 'marks' on the oiler are near aligned.

pookie1135

Cadet

You may be seeing oil, not fuel.

Double check the linkage on the oiler, once you disconnect it the spring opens oiling all the way. It is too easy to reattach the linkage with the arm turned 180 out, which is a LOT of oil at an idle. The bigger problem is that as throttle is applied it turns oiling down, reducing oil.

Disconnect the linkage at the oiler and see how it turns wide open. Turn it back around to reattach the linkage. Check that the 'marks' on the oiler are near aligned.

was reading manule it says to start at 1 1/2 turns then turn in not out till motor bogs then turn out 1/4 turn .is this right?u said turn out just want to make sure. isthere a picture i can see of the linkage on the oil to compare? tks for helping

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

Use 1 whole can if problems arise, 1/2 can every other fill up (to a least 16 gal. tank).