Dangerous at high speeds

fearless MD

Recruit
Hey guys, I just bought my first boat and I really need to adjust something. It's a 1987 bayliner capri 1400 with a Force 85 on it. It's in real good condition, the guy garaged it for decades. I know that the boat origionally came with a force 50. After I checked everything I could think of I took it out on the water. After putting around and checking various things like the charging system and listening to the engine. Opened the throttle all the way and this thing took off like a rocket reving to around 5000+ rpms. Here's my problems the steering wheel pulls real hard to the right. At top speed and not hitting waves the boat felt like it lifted and almost became airborne and tilted to the left almost flipping it. The swim platform seemed to be causing drag, it's located on the right. I know from the reading these forums that the exhaust snout is the trim setting, but it seems like other things could be going on with it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Re: Dangerous at high speeds

I agree with Bubba. It sounds like it may need an adjustment to the trim tab for the steering. Otherwise, that IS a lot of horsepower for a small boat. I'd wear a dual layer of underwear running that thing at WOT. It may be tempting to do so, but I wouldn't run that thing above 1/2 throttle until you've REALLY learned how the boat handles. That's not one or two trips out, that would be a year or so of outings to help you understand the boat/motor's characteristics in different conditions. Most boats aren't dangerous. It's the operators that make them dangerous!

Good luck with your first boat.

fearless MD

Recruit

It does feel like it's too many ponies for such a small boat. That swim platform doesn't fold up and is fixed to the boat. Do you think that it is a combo of drag from platform and the snout(trim tab) or just the trim? I adjusted the snout in the direction of the pull about 1/4" and need to test it out. Do the steering cables break easy? It seeme like a was a couple pound of pressure away from breaking something in the steering cable. Thanks for your quick response sir.

Philster

Captain

Swim platform might sit properly with a smaller motor.

Samvq1

Seaman

I had that same boat and it had a 50 Hp Force. I'm pretty sure 50 Hp was the max. Check the capacity plate. It's been a long time since I had that boat.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the swim platform is far enough in the water when the boat is on plane to affect handling, its either mounted wrong or you have such insane bow rise that you are staring straight up at the sky. Excessive bow rise is possible given a motor that is probably twice as big as it needs to be and possibly trimmed improperly... But probably not that much bow rise. Its not the platform.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you talking clothsline type cable with pulleys ? If so i would upgrade real Quick !! Most of my problems came from broken pulleys and not busted cables. When a pulley busts. you pray your not running WOT because that boat will do all sorts of wild things you never dreamed of in a thousnd years !!

Bondo

Staff member

Hey guys, I just bought my first boat and I really need to adjust something. It's a 1987 bayliner capri 1400 with a Force 85 on it. It's in real good condition, the guy garaged it for decades. I know that the boat origionally came with a force 50. After I checked everything I could think of I took it out on the water. After putting around and checking various things like the charging system and listening to the engine. Opened the throttle all the way and this thing took off like a rocket reving to around 5000+ rpms. Here's my problems the steering wheel pulls real hard to the right. At top speed and not hitting waves the boat felt like it lifted and almost became airborne and tilted to the left almost flipping it. The swim platform seemed to be causing drag, it's located on the right. I know from the reading these forums that the exhaust snout is the trim setting, but it seems like other things could be going on with it. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Ayuh,.... The hull no doubt lifted, 'n became Nearly airborne,...
At that point, the prop torque is turnin' the hull in a counter-clockwise direction,....
Nothin' to do with the swim-step...

Havin' formally flown an ole rotten Glastron Jet-flite, rated for 60hp, with an 80hp, 'n then a 135hp Tower of Power,...
I can tell ya, be Careful,....
The slightest ripple can send ya for 1 'ell of a Ride,.....
Been there, done it, worn the results....

This was with the 80hp, punchin' the throttle from a dead stop,....
f3551.jpg

I added power trim, after addin' the 135hp,... that made it Alot more manageable....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You are over powered. You are rated at 50 and have 85.............

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bond o, I almost soiled myself just looking at that picture. Must have been one heck of a ride.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,.... The hull no doubt lifted, 'n became Nearly airborne,...
At that point, the prop torque is turnin' the hull in a counter-clockwise direction,....
Nothin' to do with the swim-step...

Havin' formally flown an ole rotten Glastron Jet-flite, rated for 60hp, with an 80hp, 'n then a 135hp Tower of Power,...
I can tell ya, be Careful,....
The slightest ripple can send ya for 1 'ell of a Ride,.....
Been there, done it, worn the results....

This was with the 80hp, punchin' the throttle from a dead stop,....

I'm partial to STV's and Hydrostreams when it comes to over powering. 35hp over max on a Bayliner is pushing things to the limit. A Jack plate, low water pickup and a cleaver would probably help a lot but it won't cure the fear of flying or learning to power through the chine walk.

phillnjack2

Ensign

Being its a force 85hp you probably aint going as fast as some might think, force 85 is = to about 60hp merc/johnnyrude if your very lucky.
sounds like your hull is probably set too much bow down.
Bow down can cause severe twist at speed and can throw you out the boat or turn itself over !!!!!!!!!!
You need to make sure that the trim is not too far in, would be safer if out a bit too much rather than too far in.
On water with no waves these boats are normally well capable of high speeds without causing problems.
But being as you said its been put away a long time you could have a distorted hull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you need to look underneath and see if any of the last third of the hull has any distortions or if there is a dent near the back.
The dent in a hull is called a hook or a rocker, and a hull sitting a long time on a trailer (especially if left loaded ) can have this.
If it does have a bad hook dont worry just clean the hull where its affected and fill with fibreglass matt and resin , then
rub it down to a nice smoothe finnish.
Ofcourse the boat may be perfect, you might have a number of other things going on, like engine too low for one thing ?
Have you checked the length of the shaft and checked if its level with bottom of boat ?
I dont know what shaft length the force is, but suzuki and a few mercs are 21.5 inch so need to be raised on a 20 inch transom.

If you have any other people near you that have speedboats, ask them to test yours and see what they say,sometimes
it can be a very simple case of too much trim in, or badly distributed gear on the boat.
but do check underneath for a rocker or hook.

p.s
its very easy with an 80hp
sh4 (800 x 533).jpg

phill

Bondo

Staff member

Ya, with an angle like that you could have the swim platform in the water...

Bond-o, please tell us that was back when you were young, dumb and full....

Ayuh,..... Had alota curly hair back then too,...... ;)

I've still got the hull, 'n her sister in the backyard,...
If I live long enough, 1 of 'em will be rebuilt, 'n the 150hp ToP, sittin' on a stand in my garage, will be on it...

I'm in my late-20s in that pic...

SBL,... No....
Yer well on yer way to buildin' yer own Death Traps...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

103_6239.jpg103_6240.jpgworking copy.jpgresized55.jpg100_6190.jpg

Yeah, that's a small hull, only rated for 50 and yeah, it is overpowered. You are probably topping out at 50-55 MPH and on a boat that small, if you have never done it, yes it can be discomfiting.

There are several things you can do to help. If the engine is not already raised, elevate it so the cavitation plate is one inch above the bottom of the vee in the hull. If it has power trim, trim it out after you get onto plane. Trim out to the maximum it will take without ventilating or cavitating. Both these steps will reduce the torque reaction and make steering easier.

UH---Don't use full throttle in crowded areas and don't try to cross wakes at speed. You are begging to get the dry side down.

You definitely want to check the transom to see that it can take the thrust loads the 85 is delivering. Although the Force naysayers will tell you your engine is weak, It has plenty of power to get you into trouble. Reinforce the transom with aluminum if necessary.

The first two photos are of the reinforced transom on a 10 foot hull with a Chrysler 50. The second two are of MY 14 footer with a Force 125. This boat did 55 with a 90 and 60 with the 125. It is highly modified to handle the horsepower but I don't use it on rough water and I don't jump wakes at 60.

Small boats overpowered with big engines can be fun but you need to experiment and do some modifications to safely enjoy them. Part of this is the act of behaving responsibly with the power in your hands.

Also, depending upon your state, overpowering to this degree can be illegal and the local water police can roust you.

If you are really uncomfortable, sell the engine and repower with a 50.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Here honey, hold my beer and start the video camera, I want to show you something.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats thing is only one hot foot peddal away from certain death! My 200 hp (19' boat) can be a bear to steer at WOT until I get it trimmed just right... but when I do you best be holding on to something!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I like this 1,... ridin' Fine....

attachment.php