Aquatic Elbow Room

rlb2252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How much water do you need? How much space does it take to satisfy your wanderlust? Your need for seeing and exploring something different?

Do you need an Ocean or one of the Great Lakes to truly stretch out? Or does a mere river, dammed after less than 20 miles work for you?

I have so little experience on boats, I?m not sure what my primary mission will be. In my imagination, cruising has the most appeal. Maybe overnighting somewhere over the horizon. But from what I have read on these boards, most boaters average well less than an hour cruising on each outing.

Seems like most folks stick relatively close to home base.

Fishing might be fun. Never done it from a boat. Tubing or other water sports I?m less sure about.

But I do wonder whether a small river or lake would quickly become redundant.

It makes me think of my first car. That first week or two I?d jump in the Mustang just to go around the block. But that became anti-climatic pretty quick. Once my driving skills improved, I needed to progressively go farther.

My nearest water is only a 12 mile long stretch of the Rock River in Illinois. I suspect I?d tire of that rather quickly. I?d have to travel about 45 miles to a larger body of water, the Chain O? Lakes area.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Aquatic Elbow Room

Whats wrong with the rock river?? Should be plenty of small towns that you can stop off in, wouldn't want a big boat though, when the water is very low you can drive a 4X4 truck across it in some places, Thats always cool too!!

JCMINIS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My wife and I have 3 kids so watersports are the thing,we have 3-4 lakes within a couple hrs ranging from 6500 acres to a little over 11k acres.6500 acre lake is 15 min from home, most of the time we go there,however we do get bored and go somewhere else for a change up.BUT once the kids are grown,the ski boat is gone and a nice towable cruiser or walkaround is going in its spot.Something comfortable for a couplof days so we can go somewhere different !!!!!!!!

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I guess it really depends on what your long term goals are and what you ultimately want to "do" on the water... like you said you haven't really figured that out yet... so thats the problem.

I have a somewhat biased perspective, having grown up on the gulf coast of FL, (clearwater), and having had a family cabin on the homossassa river...

My parents/grandparents were in the clearwater "cruise" club, and as a group they would pick a destination spot for the entire club to take their boats to. Sometimes it would be a run up the coast, head out to a nice spoil island to enjoy a nice secluded beach, other times to some "on the water" type restaurant, explore a new river, head to someone's house on the water for a fish fry, etc. they typically would cruise for anywhere from 1-2 hours, to an entire day depending on the planned trip, so If you think cruising is what you might like to do, you may look into some cruise clubs in your area.

Being in FL, allowed for a TON of variety, so things never really got dull... so i guess I am a bit spoiled when it comes to water destinations...

But, ultimately for me, I found my passion is fishing, and water sports, so to me it doesnt really matter where I go, as much as what I'm doing when I am there.

If you're looking for a good starter boat, I would find a nice fish/ski combo, thats also a V-hull for good cruising. You can try out various activies, and see what fits you best. Once you figure it out, upgrade to something that fits your style better.

Hopefully you figure out what you like to do best! good luck :)

PBJMAN

Cadet

I'm new to boating, also, but I know I have lots of room to explore. I live in Algonac, MI about 1 mile from the DNR boat launch on the St. Clair River. I can put in and go downriver to Anchor Bay/Lake St. Clair in about 15-30minutes, with my choice of three main routes (North Channel, Middle Channel, South Channel). When I trust my boat a little more, I could venture upriver for an hour and reach Lake Huron. I love the idea that the distance I could go (virtually anywhere on the Great Lakes) is, in theory, nearly unlimited. Now if I just had a big cruiser, tons of gas money, and all the time I wanted!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

OK,now that I have had my beer(pepsi), My dream is to get a 1989 33' Sea Ray Sundancer (example)
http://www.ablboats.com/details.php?id=81128
And take an Ohio river trip from Paducah Ky. mile.981 to Pitt.Pa. mile.000 and stop at all the cities on the way up and down river off the riverfront, I worked on the river 5 1/2 years and always wanted to buy a boat for that purpose and do that, Now I am starting to get the same idea for L.B.L and take a trip on kentucky lake. Thats my dream.