Will someone look at this 40HP LU/Impeller pic and give me advice?

Redkneck

Seaman
1982 402

Been setting up 2 yrs. Cranked it up after lubing cylinders, no stream (was going to change imp anyway, so here goes)

As expected it was shot. Got a kit in the mail yesterday. I can match most of the parts, I am assuming All the parts in this pic (except for the shaft seal in the upper right hand corner) are leftovers.

20120421_064212.jpg

Here's the parts I am dealing with. Notice the two black seals at the lower right? They fell out of the yellow impeller housing before I could catch them, I dont know which one goes in first, the short one or the tall one. As you can see the imp was totally shot.
20120421_064151.jpg

Here's my lower. Any thoughts on anything I should do before reassembly? Do I need to use RTV on the gasket surfaces? Anywhere else to apply sealant? That plastic piece around the shifter looks kinda chewed, but I'm guessing that's normal.
20120421_064451.jpg

Thanks as always, you guys are great. I'm sure I could put it all back together and she'll work fine, but I like to get things done right when I got it apart to make sure I get a long life out of it.

john

Redkneck

Seaman
Re: Will someone look at this 40HP LU/Impeller pic and give me advice?

Ok, so looking at a schematic that was posted on an earlier thread, it looks like the taller seal would go in first, then the short washer on bottom (ie the short one in the lower position as it would normally be assembled in the motor).

Do I need to pull the pump base also?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Have your model # ready and check the parts views here to see exactly which parts goes where

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

Make SURE you find every vane that came off the old impeller, otherwise the pieces can block cooling flow and cause problems.

Redkneck

Seaman

Thank you, but I can never find the category to click on for the lower unit showing the impeller asm. Can you tell me which one it is? Also which way does this shaft turn, CW or CCW? Just need to know so I can get my vanes turned correctly.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The SS cup doesn't look too good either,if it's scratched up,get it replaced as it will chew your new impeller.

carholme

Rear Admiral

This is the trouble with starting new threads. The history of your project is left behind and others have no clue where you are at.

Here is the link to the lower unit from the parts list I sent you in your previous thread. If you are going to get familiar with your engine then RTFB.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/673_170.cfm

Gerry

Redkneck

Seaman

My apologies Gerry. I will keep it all in this thread.

Somehow I got crossed up on that Crowley site and didn't see that schematic.

Sorry again, will try to rtfb a little more.

I could find no more impeller pieces, don't think they went up the tube?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The upper and low bases are shot....replace them both.

Redkneck

Seaman

Do you mean the plate under the impeller and the upper housing?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yep....

Redkneck

Seaman

10-4

Thank you.