MINOR RAMP ACCIDENT- NOW OUTDRIVE PROBS>>>HElP

parnell

Cadet
2012-04-14_15-15-03_853.jpgHey everyone, I could really appreciate your help on this one. Saturday I took my boat to the local ramp to drop in to take it to my slip. I have a 97 sea ray 260br 7.4 bravo 1. I pulled up to the ramp, and got out disconnected the safety chain, installed drain plug etc. Well as i proceeded over the crest of the ramp there goes the boat, straight off the roller trailer and onto the concrete.

Apparently, the brake on the electic winch was backed off. With the help of many good samaritans we were able to get it back on the trailer and off I went. So here are my problems. The outdrive is the only thing that took the impact. The boat basically slid on that the entire way. My outdrive was in the straight position but upon contact it was slammed to the left side. Now after a few days i see my gear oil supply line is leaking when outdrive is turned to the left.

Prior to this mishap I was unable to move my outdrive by hand but now if I get in the boat and turn the wheel so the outdrive is center, I can push the outdrive to the left by hand but not to the right. However, It runs, tilts, goes into gear, and steers. My questions are why can I now move my outdrive by hand to the left side only and what is the process to repair this? Also, the oil supply line, Whats entailed with repairing that? I( attached a photo for laughs)

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: MINOR RAMP ACCIDENT- NOW OUTDRIVE PROBS>>>HElP

no photo to view but I can help with the ramp procedures
In a safe area not near the ramp, install drain plug,remove rear tie downs, cleat off bow and stern lines,cooler, clothes, rods, etc.
Back down ramp to axel depth of water
Remove safety bow chain, have bow and stern lines in hand
Push boat off trailer or roll trailer backward slightly

parnell

Cadet

no photo to view but I can help with the ramp procedures
In a safe area not near the ramp, install drain plug,remove rear tie downs, cleat off bow and stern lines,cooler, clothes, rods, etc.
Back down ramp to axel depth of water
Remove safety bow chain, have bow and stern lines in hand
Push boat off trailer or roll trailer backward slightly

Thanks, I am familiar with ramp procedure. I left out some of the details and wanted to get to the heart of my problem. I appreciate any help. 2012-04-14_15-15-03_853.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral

My questions are why can I now move my outdrive by hand to the left side only and what is the process to repair this?

1. dunno, can't see what the damage is and what is going on right now with your drive

2. take your boat to a reputable repair shop and call your insurance agent

Fun Times

Staff member

View attachment 141626My questions are why can I now move my outdrive by hand to the left side only.( attached a photo for laughs)
Sorry to see this happened to you, I never really understood laughing at someone's misfortune including the guy I helped one time put his brand new never in the water waverunner back on the homemade trailer from the launch ramp asphalt when he said this same thing happened to me 10 years ago.:eek::facepalm:

Does the drive turn to the left while the engine is running?

parnell

Cadet

1. dunno, can't see what the damage is and what is going on right now with your drive

2. take your boat to a reputable repair shop and call your insurance agent

I was kinda trying to avoid turning it into my ins. I was looking to make all the repairs myself. There is no visible damage to the outdrive besides a bad scrape but the prop does spin freely and goes into gear. THe only problems i can see are the supply hose leaking and being able to push the drive to the left by hand. I was trying to get some suggestions on what to look for first on why the outdrive can be pushed. I was planning on pulling the outdrive and housing to get a closer look at the suplly line but wanted some input. Thanks.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Look closely at the swivel shaft compared to what the gimbal ring is doing.
Get inside & someone move it side to side, see what you see!

parnell

Cadet

I was kinda trying to avoid turning it into my ins. I was looking to make all the repairs myself. There is no visible damage to the outdrive besides a bad scrape but the prop does spin freely and goes into gear. THe only problems i can see are the supply hose leaking and being able to push the drive to the left by hand. I was trying to get some suggestions on what to look for first on why the outdrive can be pushed. I was planning on pulling the outdrive and housing to get a closer look at the suplly line but wanted some input. Thanks.

I only turned the drive while it was off.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

unless you are completely familar with how a bravo drive and transom assy works and is properly assembled and what to look for when something like this happens it will be kinda hard to talk you through it not being able to see it or inspect what exactly is going on

my WAG is at the very least you damaged something in the power steering, steering shaft, tiller arm, or all three (maybe more)

take the boat to a reputable shop, have them inspect it and give you a written estiamte including parts and labor, then you can decide if you want to tackle the job or not

parnell

Cadet

unless you are completely familar with how a bravo drive and transom assy works and is properly assembled and what to look for when something like this happens it will be kinda hard to talk you through it not being able to see it or inspect what exactly is going on

my WAG is at the very least you damaged something in the power steering, steering shaft, tiller arm, or all three (maybe more)

take the boat to a reputable shop, have them inspect it and give you a written estiamte including parts and labor, then you can decide if you want to tackle the job or not

It will probably be 2 weeks before they will look at it for me. Should the drive move if I push on it? I moved the drive to the left but was unable to push it back to center. I got in the boat and turned the wheel till it was centered again. I got back out and pushed it right it moved slighly 2in, then i pushed left a little and tried to push right again but it wldnt budge. But it will push all the way left. I am not that familar with the steering components but i wanted to start with_ do I definitely have a problem? Is it worth tearing apart?

Augie56

Seaman

Sorry to hear about your accident, but I surely wouldn't call it minor. Reading about how sensitive outdrives are to proper alignment, I would surely have it checked out by a good boat mechanic you trust at the very least. I can imagine you could easily chew up a gimbal bearing or u-joint if everything is all out of whack now. Frankly, I can't image how the outdrive couldn't have been damaged somehow with the whole weight of a 26 foot boat on the skeg. If it were my boat, I wouldn't be able to trust it with myself or loved ones in it until I knew the extent of the damage. Get it checked out, don't cut corners on this one.

parnell

Cadet

Sorry to hear about your accident, but I surely wouldn't call it minor. Reading about how sensitive outdrives are to proper alignment, I would surely have it checked out by a good boat mechanic you trust at the very least. I can imagine you could easily chew up a gimbal bearing or u-joint if everything is all out of whack now. Frankly, I can't image how the outdrive couldn't have been damaged somehow with the whole weight of a 26 foot boat on the skeg. If it were my boat, I wouldn't be able to trust it with myself or loved ones in it until I knew the extent of the damage. Get it checked out, don't cut corners on this one.

I wouldnt call it minor if it happen to someone else but the amount of badluck I have had with this boat, its a drop in the bucket.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey man. Tough luck there.

gear oil supply line
Not really sure what that is. Can you be more specific?

Also, I can turn my Bravo 1 from the drive, without it running in either direction. However . . . sometimes I have to go a little the opposite way before it will turn the other. Same with an Alpha. Are you sure that it will only turn one way? and does it work normally when it is running?

parnell

Cadet

Hey man. Tough luck there.

Not really sure what that is. Can you be more specific?

Also, I can turn my Bravo 1 from the drive, without it running in either direction. However . . . sometimes I have to go a little the opposite way before it will turn the other. Same with an Alpha. Are you sure that it will only turn one way? and does it work normally when it is running?

I tried to push it to the right and it wouldnt go. then i pushed it all the way left and could not get it to push back to the right. when I got in the boat I could move it with the steering wheel but it wasnt running. I have not tried to turn it with it running. Im worried im overreacting and its standard to be able to move the drive by hand. Im basically trying to troubleshoot what is normal and what is not.

QC

Supreme Mariner

its standard to be able to move the drive by hand.
That's not necessarily true. I can't always move the drive one direction, but short move the way it will move will usually make it able to go the other . . . Study that. Sometimes a little bit the free way will free up the other. Been very consistent for me as I don't like towing it crooked, and I usually forget it until I am out of the boat. Call me anal, but that's how I know.

"Supply" line?

parnell

Cadet

That's not necessarily true. I can't always move the drive one direction, but short move the way it will move will usually make it able to go the other . . . Study that. Sometimes a little bit the free way will free up the other. Been very consistent for me as I don't like towing it crooked, and I usually forget it until I am out of the boat. Call me anal, but that's how I know.

"Supply" line?

the gear oil supply line begins to drip when i push the drive all the way to the left. If i center the drive it does not leak. Prior to the incident it was not leaking. Was curious on could I have broken something the hose was attached to, or is it just coincidental and my hose was dry rotted and this pushed it over the edge. btw thanks for evryones help so far

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The outdrive should not turn by hand in either direction unless the steering (helm) also turns. Due to the size of the boat I'm going to assume you have hydraulic steering and you may have blown fluid out during the impact. Most of the time that happens at the helm and would have been noticeble as a fluid puddle on the deck. On SeaStar Helms it blows fluid out and sucks air in. When that happens the steering still works but the drive is sloppy and can be moved. If you can move the drive around by hand then your prop can move it also and that's not a good thing. Fortunately, its likely that just adding the fluid back in and bleeding the system is will get you back to normal.

Like I said at the begining of this post, I'm guessing that you have a form of hydraulic steering. If you don't then I don't have a qualified answer for you.

parnell

Cadet

The outdrive should not turn by hand in either direction unless the steering (helm) also turns. Due to the size of the boat I'm going to assume you have hydraulic steering and you may have blown fluid out during the impact. Most of the time that happens at the helm and would have been noticeble as a fluid puddle on the deck. On SeaStar Helms it blows fluid out and sucks air in. When that happens the steering still works but the drive is sloppy and can be moved. If you can move the drive around by hand then your prop can move it also and that's not a good thing. Fortunately, its likely that just adding the fluid back in and bleeding the system is will get you back to normal.

Like I said at the begining of this post, I'm guessing that you have a form of hydraulic steering. If you don't then I don't have a qualified answer for you.

sscher, I have power steering and the wheel does turn when i push the outdrive but prior to this incident the drive would not push either direction. Atleast thats what i remember.

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is no fluid at the helm with typical I/O power steering ;) And yes the wheel should turn when the drive is manually turned.

parnell . . . there is no "gear oil supply line" outside of the boat either. Tell us what line you are referring to. Picture? I actually think you are referring to a hydraulic trim line ;) There are also no steering components outside of the boat.

Edit: I guarantee I could've turned your drive before . . . I do it every trip and I have a 2001 Bravo 1

Edit 2: I am NOT saying there is nothing wrong with your drive after the impact . . . That's a discussion left for when the detail is correct.

parnell

Cadet

There is no fluid at the helm with typical I/O power steering ;) And yes the wheel should turn when the drive is manually turned.

parnell . . . there is no "gear oil supply line" outside of the boat either. Tell us what line you are referring to. Picture? I actually think you are referring to a hydraulic trim line ;) There are also no steering components outside of the boat.

Edit: I guarantee I could've turned your drive before . . . I do it every trip and I have a 2001 Bravo 1

Edit 2: I am NOT saying there is nothing wrong with your drive after the impact . . . That's a discussion left for when the detail is correct.

Ok, the gear oil line Im trying to describe is on the right side in the housing. It has a gear oil res on top the motor and Im assuming its the line that goes to the gimbal housing and attaches to the barbs and when you attach your outdrive it will keep the levels full in the drive. Sorry if im not explaining correctly. I thought it is the line for gear oil??