I got some DVA measurements, now what??

As I mentioned in the previous posts, this is 1977 55HP Johnson SeaHorse. New fuel line, tank, fittings, fuel pump. Carb cleaned three time with new kits and new jets. New spark plugs. New water pump and oil changed.

The motor starts ok, two three times will fire it up, runs great at low speed (up to 15 mph) and reverse, I can run all day long with that. But the boat/motor combination really should give me about 30 mph.

The problem is: the motor bogs down at full throttle; the spd will go down to 10-12 mph from 15 mph. and will back to 15 mph after I pull the throttle back a little bit.

A mechanic said that the timer base sensor, stator and power pack are bad. I am trying to eliminate at least one of these three now. As learned from here and classicglastron website, I bought a DVA adaptor with a fluke 27 multimeter and did some tests last weekend, here are the measurements:

1. Sator resistance test: at terminal block,
stator lead yellow to ground: infinity; gray to ground: infinity;
yellow to gray: 1.0 ohm (service manual value: 1.0-1.6 ohm).
Pass.
2. Rectifier test: test all at terminal block, manual said one direction is zero and the other director is infinity. But I did not get anything like that. All the tests I did are the same on both directions with different values on different leads (yellow/gray (1.1), yellow/blue (0.0), and the rest are infinity), here is my question: what dose rectifier do? Am I testing right? If this one is bad, can the motor run well at low spd?
3. Sensor coil resistance check:
at power pack terminal 6 and 7, reading 16.8, manual suggests 10-20 ohm.
Pass.
4. Charge coil resistance test:
power pack terminal 1 and ground: reading 797, manual suggests 675-825 ohm.
Pass.
5. DVA test: since the manual uses neon light, I lost instruction, and found some info from this forum and outboardignition.com. I did all the DVA measurement on the power pack with motor running in the lake while the boat was tighten on the dock.
6. Charge:
browen terminal 1 to ground: got 10 v first, and somehow then got 210v, after fishing back, got 10v again, running the motor to full throttole, the voltage dropped down to 6-7v (now I am not sure if that is terminal 1 or 2).
I may have redo this again. My question is if the voltage is 10v, can the boat run well?
7. Trigger:
white/black and black/white terminal 6 and 7:
6 to ground: 10v,
7 to ground: 10v, Is this value ok? Outboard said should be close to what is read on stator, what is the read on stator, how to check that?
6 to 7: 2.1v (> 0.5v will be OK)
I did not test ignition terminal 2 and 3 to the ground, do I have to, what dose that mean?
I need help on interpreting these measurements, which part is good and which part is bad? Any other measurement I need conduct?

CDI suggested disconnect rectifier and retest, how do disconnect rectifier? Can the motor still run without rectifier?

Previous posts details here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=317782
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=321539
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=337820

this is the longest post I ever write, hope I explained all what I did and hope I can get some help form your guys.

Thanks a lot.

btw, the flywheel seems running ok with a small chip-off yesterday.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: I got some DVA measurements, now what??

I think you might have the wrong manual.
www.outboardbooks.com

I would do as CDI advised, unplug the rectifier and test again, if it runs good then the rec is shot.

My engine is a 150hp so I can't help with the meter readings.

Thanks, Jonesg. The manual is Johnson service manual.

A rectifier will help charging battery, can it effect the high speed?

jonesg

Admiral

Rectifiers change AC to DC,
Stators put out AC but the battery needs DC for charging,

If your tach doesn't work thats a sign the rectifier has failed,

Another test is read the battery v with engine running if it will run, voltage usually rises from 12.4 to 13.5 or similar.

It should all be in the manual but it always seems hard to find the pertinent info when you're actually working on it.

And the easiest test is just disconnect the rectifier and see if spark returns.
If the rectifier is bad it might skew other voltage tests

clanton

Rear Admiral

Edited Information Incorrect.

Edited By Clanton

clanton

Rear Admiral

Will dig my manual out tonight, and take a look at the diagram.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I have manual and wiring diagram, cannot follow wire diagram, and no specs.

Would be helpful to give me the number of wires and color that comes from under flywheel. You can disconnect the 2 wires from the rectifier, like the other poster said, just tape the ends of the wires, to prevent a short and tangle in flywheel.

Sorry I was not more help.