Oil Leak - Upper / Lower Unit after Impeller change - Mercrusier Alpha I Gen I

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,

Hopefully you can help! I recently purchased a boat that had been in a barn for 7 years. It is a 1990 Bluewater witha 3.7 L Mercrusier. The out drive is an Alpha I and Generation 1. Since it had been sitting for 7 years I felt it prudent to change impeller. The out drive was in remarkable condiiton with very little corrosion and required little clean up (this was my first time attempting this). Once we buttoned it all up and added oil we tested it and everything seemed to opertae correctly with no Leaks. The out drive was left in the lowered position until last weekend when I needed to move the boat. I tilted the drive and moved the boat and some time later noticed oil leaking from the seam where the upper unit and lower unit meet. Ideas on what the cause is?

Thanks,

Frank

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil Leak - Upper / Lower Unit after Impeller change - Mercrusier Alpha I Gen I

When you put the upper and lower back together, did you replace the quad ring that goes around the oil passage?
Look at the last page of the document below.

View attachment A1 Impeller replace.pdf

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil Leak - Upper / Lower Unit after Impeller change - Mercrusier Alpha I Gen I

When you put the upper and lower back together, did you replace the quad ring that goes around the oil passage?
Look at the last page of the document below.

View attachment 141547

To be honest a freind of mine who does quite a bit of mechanical work convinced me to not change any of the gaskets claiming they rarely fail and it's a lot of extra money compared to just an impeller only. I went against my better judgement and now I am sure I will regret that decision. Do you know if I can buy the seal without buying another impeller? Thank you for your help.

Thanks,

Frank

oldjeep

Admiral

To be honest a freind of mine who does quite a bit of mechanical work convinced me to not change any of the gaskets claiming they rarely fail and it's a lot of extra money compared to just an impeller only. I went against my better judgement and now I am sure I will regret that decision. Do you know if I can buy the seal without buying another impeller? Thank you for your help.

Thanks,

Frank

LOL - I wouldn't let him touch your boat. Doubt you can find just the seals - but the kit is only $23 for the impeller and seals anyways
http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Im...=Google+Shopping-_-Engine Parts-_-Sierra-_-NA

(May or may not be the correct kit for you but its what fits my Alpha1 Gen 2)

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL - I wouldn't let him touch your boat. Doubt you can find just the seals - but the kit is only $23 for the impeller and seals anyways
http://www.iboats.com/Water-Pump-Im...=Google+Shopping-_-Engine Parts-_-Sierra-_-NA

(May or may not be the correct kit for you but its what fits my Alpha1 Gen 2)

Well i guess it was a lesson and I should be good at changing impellers by the time this is done. Should I use the mercrusier perfect seal and mercrusier spline grease or is there other products I can use?

Don S

You can buy the seals individually, very cheap from any local Mercruiser dealer. Probably any local shop that works on boats keeps them on hand.
The kit oldjeep linked to is not the kit for your drive, you don't have a Gen II.

I agree with him, don't let your friend work on your drive or boat for that matter, to say those seals never fail is foolish at best. He probably didn't replace the gaskets on the pump housing either did he ?????? Did he remove the drive from the boat and not replace those gaskets and seals either? He's about to cost you a whole lot of money

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the advice and will undo what has been done. What information do I need to order the correct kit. I would rather just pull apart and replace everything (including impeller). I tried a search and couldn't locate what i was looking for. I am sorry about all of the questions. I am new to the outdrive part of this.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

A pressure test before putting oil back into the drive would have most likely found your problem. Strongly recommend you do one when you replace the quad seal this time (looks at the adults only section of this forum for instructions and example pressure testers. Easy and cheap to build, they are worth their weight in gold!). After sitting for seven years, no telling what other seals have dried up/cracked, etc. I recommend a good parts site like www.crowleymarine.com or www.mercruiserparts.com for good exploded views of your equipment, complete with parts lists, part numbers, prices, etc. Then you can cross ref the numbers to other sites and get good/best prices (I often look at amazon and take advantage of their free shipping). best of luck! (oh, BTW, I also assume you "tested" it using muffs?)

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did use muffs. I called local Marine shop and will see how they price out on kit.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did use muffs. I called local Marine shop and will see how they price out on kit.

+1^^^^ Always check your local marine shop and check here @ Iboats (for providing this site to us).

Mark

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will for sure. I would prefer to buy here, but I need to make sure I get what I need for sure.

Frank

Wyomingman

Seaman Apprentice

I also replaced my impeller a few weeks ago. I believe I replaced the quad ring with a regular o-ring when putting the lower unit back on. Is this going to cause a problem?

Don S

Is this going to cause a problem?

Probably, but you really should start your own thread if you want to discuss it further.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I also replaced my impeller a few weeks ago. I believe I replaced the quad ring with a regular o-ring when putting the lower unit back on. Is this going to cause a problem?
Recommend starting a new thread... Easier for you to track responses, and it will be yours. G'day!
(oops! really didnt see your post before I pulled the trigger, Don!)

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A pressure test before putting oil back into the drive would have most likely found your problem. Strongly recommend you do one when you replace the quad seal this time (looks at the adults only section of this forum for instructions and example pressure testers. Easy and cheap to build, they are worth their weight in gold!). After sitting for seven years, no telling what other seals have dried up/cracked, etc. I recommend a good parts site like www.crowleymarine.com or www.mercruiserparts.com for good exploded views of your equipment, complete with parts lists, part numbers, prices, etc. Then you can cross ref the numbers to other sites and get good/best prices (I often look at amazon and take advantage of their free shipping). best of luck! (oh, BTW, I also assume you "tested" it using muffs?)

Where is the Adults only section located? I have been searching the site all morning for it. It's probably right in front of me.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very first item post right under "Title/Thread Starter".
Mark

Don S

It's a thread, not a section. and is a sticky (1 of 2) and is the first thread in this forum.

frankttaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

Took outdrive apart and with the new instructions provided correctly re-assembled the outdrive inclusing replace missing quad oil seal. You guys saved my bacon. Works great - no leaks.

Thank you,

Frank

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Update:

Took outdrive apart and with the new instructions provided correctly re-assembled the outdrive including replace missing quad oil seal. You guys saved my bacon. Works great - no leaks.

Thank you,

Frank

That's a 'gotcha' every time... Glad you found the problem.