1983 60 HP Johnson Driveshaft Shimming

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys,

I need to know if there's a way to set up drive shaft shimming without opening up the bottom end and removing the drive shaft. I picked up a used gear case, and changed out the bearing housing seals. When I reinstalled the housing, I noticed the drive shaft had a lot of side to side and up and down play. I added a few more shim's until the play almost disappeared (there's no binding). How tight should the bearing sit in the race?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 60 HP Johnson Driveshaft Shimming

The shimming is done to get the proper back lash between the pinion and forward gear when under full load. You may have messed up by changing it. I'd take the g/c apart and have it shimmed properly before you have to buy some gears.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You be buying another one if you dont unshim it.......

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I removed a few of the shims, and got some of the play back. I compared it to another g/c I have here, and now its about the same. There was two (maybe three) shims in there before, and now there is four...all very thin. It seems like it works fine like this...time will tell I guess.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

OMC housings are precision machined and that is why there is no forward or reverse shimming, the pinion height is the critical measurement and if it is off it will take out the gears. If your gears where new and did not have a existing wear pattern you could get by being .001-.002 off either direction but used gears are a different story..

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class

So even if I pulled the g/c apart and used the shim tool on the driveshaft, how would I know the correct amount of shims to use to get the pinion and fwd gear to mesh in their wear pattern?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That what the shim tool is for to get correct height no + no - dead on..

newfiez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd have to see it and use it to understand it fully I guess...but I understand what you're saying

clanton

Rear Admiral

The tool measures the distance between the top of the pinion gear to the bottom of the drive shaft bearing housing.

pontoon781

Cadet

The tool measures the distance between the top of the pinion gear to the bottom of the drive shaft bearing housing.

Since the goal is correct gear lash, cant you take or remove shims as the lash test warrants? I do not want to buy a 400$ one time use shimming tool. The shims are over the bearing but under the carrier, so you can remove the carrier and put in shims as needed.

I have a 1988 48 SPL. I put in new gears and new clutch dog. ALSO my local shop was 140$ to just measure it with no guarantee.
:facepalm::facepalm: