1990 Force 15 Spitting

Chip1272

Recruit
Hey everyone. I've been reading the forums for a few years but I'm just now asking a question. Seems to me that this question gets asked alot, but I have never found a real answer. I have a Force 15 HP that doesn't pee, its more like a spit. I changed the impellar a couple years ago hoping that would help, but it stayed the same. Is that normal for this motor? Also, I think I'm having a power issue, or it might just be "the force." Went fishing last fall with some friends, we took 2 boats. Mine (12' aluminum) and a buddy's (14' deep V). He has a 9 HP merc and was literally doing circles around my boat while I was heading straight for the fishing hole. I'm I really that underpowered with my Force 15?

Thanks for the help.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: 1990 Force 15 Spitting

The 2 holes in back of the leg are exhaust relief holes, not a tell-tale. They spit water out because cooling water is mixed with exhaust. I don't think any small Force's 7.5, 9.9, 15 have a "tell-tale" (pisser) on them, but there is a thread here somewhere with directions for adding one.

For your buddy's 9HP merc "literally" running circles around you, it could be that his boat is faster, loaded better, has less weight. Was your boat even getting up on plane, was it overloaded? If it can't get up on plane, check to see that you have spark on both plug wires... These OB's will run surprisingly smooth with a dead cylinder.

Chip1272

Recruit

Thanks for the help.

The boat itself has a crease across the bottom about 2/3 of the way back. Had it when I got it (bought the trailor, had to take the boat). It does get up on plane when I'm in it with a little weight in the front or when one of my daughters sits up front. I know it overheated and shut down once (long story about a ex-father-in-law trying to be helpful when I wasn't home). Had the compression checked and it's the same in both cyl. Went ahead and changed the gasket anyway and the impeller. Both plugs have spark. She seems to bog down sometimes, but then she "pops" and takes off.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Usually when the motor bogs down while at wot it means its starving for fuel.
If you can give the primer a squeeze while its bogging down and then it picks back up then it probably needs a fuel pump rebuild and filter cleaning or replacement.
If however when you give the primmer bulb a squeeze and it feels flat or collapsed then check
the fuel pickup tube it tank for clogging and make sure the fuel tank is venting properly.
I has this problem with mine, the bogging and ended up rebuilding fuel pump.

fishrdan

Admiral

Usually when the motor bogs down while at wot it means its starving for fuel.

I has this problem with mine, the bogging and ended up rebuilding fuel pump.

Good point, I second rebuilding the fuel pump if it hasn't been done recently, ethanol is very hard on those old rubber parts. I've had problems from time-time with the fuel line connection to my 7.5HP, loose connection that sucks air and starves the engine for fuel. I only noticed it while holding pressure on the primer bulb and fuel slowly dripped from the connection.