help identifying this mid 80's evinrude

dirtleg

Seaman
so I have a 1977 55hp evinrude on my pontoon and I love it but you can always use more power right? so there is a guy close to me who wants to sell his mid 80's 90hp, actually he wants to power down and trade my 55hp for his 90, too much weight is my assumption, it's on craigslist and I don't know anything about the motor but I am trying to do some preemptive research. can anyone tell me from the pic which model or year this engine is...I know I'm asking alot but I would like to know more info on this engine before he and I meet to take a look. all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
attachment.php

Attachments

• possible 90 hp evinrude.jpg
    possible 90 hp evinrude.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: help identifying this mid 80's evinrude

The year will be encoded in the model number, which is on that plate on the bracket, visible but illegible in the photo.
Perhaps others will be able to identify it by sight.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a crossflow VRO V4. Cant tell much more than that from the pic. More power than the 55HP thats for sure. 300 lbs.

dirtleg

Seaman

Looks like a crossflow VRO V4. Cant tell much more than that from the pic. More power than the 55HP thats for sure. 300 lbs.

so would you even mount that on a 20 ft pontoon? thats an extra 100lbs on the back end for almost double the hp but would it be worth it....is it a good engine, I love the one I have...it's like a tank but is this a good engine and would the weight/ power be a good trade off?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I would but I do **** like that on a regular basis. Johnson 90's are rock solid but it does have an unknown past.