1984 8hp. A few problems.

jcdsog

Seaman Apprentice
New to the forum so hello. I've been searching for a couple of hours now and no exact answer to my problem.

I bought this motor with a 12ft aluminum boat in October. The carb was clogged. Under the bowl, I unscrewed it and poked it with some wire. Ran great. I still see that there is some parts in there that won't come out (behind what I cleaned... like 2 metal tubes) I believe I read that I would need a special tool maybe?? I'm not even sure it needs cleaning. The motor ran great though. Put it in a large trash can. It idled for prob 20 mins. I did have to play with the top screw. Unfortunately it is missing the knob. The top of the black plastic intake piece wasn't even screwed down. I'm not sure if it matters but I would think it does because it looks like it catches air off of the fly wheel.

I took it out last month and was having a major problem keeping it idling and noticed that the top screw (inside the black intake box) had tightened itself closed. I adjusted and could watch it do it again. So I got home and put some teflon tape around it. It seems to have worked but still cant get it to idle. PS, I do not have the top plastic piece of the intake box on it at all. Just makes the screw easier to get to because I have no knob.

Here is my main problem. The motor purrs like a kitten when its running. But 90% of the time it will not start back up, even after 2 minutes.

I've put new plugs in. New hose and bulb. No new hoses on the motor as of yet. Fresh gas. I just think it's weird for it to run so good then literally not start.

Oh yea, had the float pin stick in the up position yesterday so it wouldnt get any gas. Got it workin after a quick teardown. Does that need to be removed and cleaned or was it just a fluke from sitting up a week?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. It's a strong little motor I just wish it were more dependable. I mainly do rivers and I need it to crank and idle before I'm in the bushes with the snakes.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1984 8hp. A few problems.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=0bc9b475a7a0f59072f92a6360b26557
Go here and look for your specific year, model and then the carb. There is a part called a needle retainer and I have to wonder if yours is either missing completely or just worn out. It should provide a tight enough fit that the slow speed needle will not turn on it's own. Check that out and replace it if necessary. Most carb. I'm used to have either O rings or leather like seals that go around the needle and then a packing nut that seals them against the needle which prevents air leakage but your carb. appears to have none of that. As long as the needle is able to move your going to have problems. Once you do finally get it set it should stay in that position so you can put the top back on your breather. That knob is probably still available if you want to replace it. Best of luck. Rick.

jcdsog

Seaman Apprentice

I see exactly what youre talking about and will get one. Thanks.

I went out this morning to play around with it some more. I removed the float this time and cleaned the needle valve part and the jet for it. I had never done that since I had it. It was just the one in the middle that has clogged twice. I had a question though.

Does this part in the picture come out? It looked like it had groves for a flat head so I went and got one and tried it ever so gently. All I did was booger it up a little (nothing major) so i cleaned it out and stopped.

I actually put it all back together and it cranked with prob 4 pulls with choke on. So perhaps that needle jet helped.

I also checked the plugs and they looked good.

carb_small.jpg

Rick.

Captain

I don't think you can take it out without destroying the carb. After reading your post again this morning I have one more suggestion. Replace all your hose from the tank to the carb. Many are reporting deterioration of the internal wall of the fuel line due to ethanol blend gas. The new hose, you'll need to ask, is rated for ethanol. Glad to here things are working a little better today. Rick.