Would Appreciate Bimini Top tips (too many fabrics / makers), need help.

Petamocto

Cadet
Hi everyone. I just got a 1996 Sea Ray 18' (175 Series 5).

The boat is in great shape, but the 4' bimini it came with is probably not long enough (would prefer a 6') and it's pretty grungy / moldy. I could go through the effort of cleaning and scrubbing it with 303 but I'd rather have a longer one anyway.

So I used the link on this forum to see what was for sale, and I am absolutely swamped with options.

It lists three makers and multiple fabrics:

Westland, 5 levels of Sharkskin ($260-$305) or Sunbrella, $354
Endura ($250-$360), Poly Cotton, Vinyl, Performance Aqua Shield, Sunbrella
Taylor Made, Hot Shot, Vinyl, Ultima. ($262-$446)

First, are any of these brands known as "the best" or "the worst"?

Next, are any of those more durable or mildew-proof? I don't want to automatically assume that more expensive = better.

At the end of the day, I am willing to spend some extra money to get a decent one, but I'm also realistic enough to know that I have a 1996 18' bowrider, not a new 100' yacht.

If I could get away with $300 I'd be happy, but any help you guys can give on brands and fabrics would be great, thanks.

shout

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Would Appreciate Bimini Top tips (too many fabrics / makers), need help.

another guys opinion - I've had a Sunbrella for 5 years, on a new boat, still looks good, still in good shape, I will replace it with another Sunbrella if it ever wears out

- shout

Petamocto

Cadet
Re: Would Appreciate Bimini Top tips (too many fabrics / makers), need help.

Thank you to both of you. Any comment on either Westland's version of Sunbrella or Endura's version? (As in which brand is better?)