HP needed for 4600 lb 23 ft boat

Xenac

Recruit
I am looking to purchase a 21 to 23 foot bowrider. On choppy lake so want deep V hull. Am looking at cobalt 232 which weighs 4600 lbs. It has a volvo 5.7L GI DP 300 hp engine. Is that power to easily pull up a male slalom skiier on a boat that heavy?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: HP needed for 4600 lb 23 ft boat

That will be plenty of power to get up. The question you should be asking is how bad is the ride behind a deep v 23 ft boat.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Should be plenty. Remember you can always fine tune the prop if necessary

haulnazz15

Captain

Should be fine. Sure, a big block would be nice, but on the 232, 300HP will be plenty to pull up a guy on slalom.

@oldjeep, I'm not sure what you meant by the ride behind a 23' deep V boat. Sure, the outsides of the wake won't be flat like a true inboard ski boat, but in rougher water it'll sure knock down the chop more than any MasterCraft ever thought about. I would assume if he was pulling slalom skiers through the course, he wouldn't be mentioning rough water and Cobalts.

oldjeep

Admiral

Should be fine. Sure, a big block would be nice, but on the 232, 300HP will be plenty to pull up a guy on slalom.

@oldjeep, I'm not sure what you meant by the ride behind a 23' deep V boat. Sure, the outsides of the wake won't be flat like a true inboard ski boat, but in rougher water it'll sure knock down the chop more than any MasterCraft ever thought about. I would assume if he was pulling slalom skiers through the course, he wouldn't be mentioning rough water and Cobalts.

It would never fit through a course and I'm not comparing it to a mastercraft. Slaloming behind a 23 deep V even in calm water is not a whole lot of fun unless you are just kind of hanging out back there. They leave a trench that looks like a half pipe a ski rope length behind the boat.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it good for a choppy lake? Probably.
Will it pull up a slalom skier? Sure. At some point crew weight is a factor so 12 people in the boat might cause a problem.

OP's criteria are covered.

Also agree that it is no fun to ski on a choppy lake and/or behind big I/Os on any lake but that wasn't really the question. I have to assume the objective is getting out of the water and cruising on ski.

haulnazz15

Captain

I slalom ski behind the 20-22' I/O's all the time and don't have any issues with it. Sure, I don't do it in choppy water because skiing isn't fun in choppy water, but the wake is never an issue. Again, it's not like crossing behind a true inboard, bit it's no big deal to hop over it when just cruising around.