What's a minimum thrust to get for a 16' Smokercraft?!

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice
Hi -

This is my first boat: it's a 16' aluminum Smokercraft deep V with 40HP 4stroke Mercury outboard. I'll typically fish with 2 guys (max 4 guys). Would like to be able to use the trolling motor (bow mount) for working the weed lines as well as for an occasional trip on the lake that only allows electric motors.

I've seen 30lb, 40lb, 55lb in 12V and 65lb, 75lb in 24V on local Craigslist. I'm a little confused about the minimum that I should consider for this boat. Was thinking 55lb 12V... would probably like to stay with 12V system due to extra weight, room and cost.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's a minimum thrust to get for a 16' Smokercraft?!

55 is all you need with one exception. If you regularly fish in high winds or currents, or have to troll at higher speeds with a full load, then a 70# is in order.

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like I need to keep pursuing 55lb trollers... just missed a real nice one. Having a heck of a time dealing with people on Craigslist...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like I need to keep pursuing 55lb trollers... just missed a real nice one. Having a heck of a time dealing with people on Craigslist...
All the more reason to buy new and have a warranty.