1967 Johnson OMC outdrive Question

Old Toad

Cadet
I have a 1967 Johnson Boat with an OMC outdrive. I would like to run the boat on the trailer. There is a small red plastic cap on the frontside of the outdrive. I was told ( by a Boat repair shop) that I can remove the cap and hook a hose up to the outdrive and run it without any concerns about it over heating. The problem is... I don't know what size male connector I need to hook up a hose to the outdrive. 3/8 is too small 1/2 is too large. The red cap reads "cap plugs R P 12". any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

janpetemar

Cadet
Re: 1967 Johnson OMC outdrive Question

Paul,

I to have a 1967 OMC drive hooked to a Chevy 4 cylinder. On the starboard side of my unit is a screw cap that fits a standard female connector. I am wondering if this is for flushing the drive or if it will bring water into the cooling system. Right now, with my wifes frustration, I am using our rolling trash container to put under the drive. Runs well and dosen't affect temp.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

That red plastic cap is NOT for running on a hose! It is a cover cap that is removed to access a grease nipple that lubes the pivot bearing. If your unit is equiped with a hose adapter, it will be on one of the pivot caps. See the pic I posted in this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=331275

The water inlet is actually above the prop on the underside of the cavitation plate so muffs won't work. If you don't have the hose adaper on the pivot cap, then you need to submerge the leg in a large bucket/drum and run the hose into that.

janpetemar: that IS the adaptor for both flushing and for running the engine with a hose. You can find something else to frustrate your wife with. :p :D

janpetemar

Cadet

NW Redneck,

I already found something else......Had to use one of her baking pans to put under the oil pan to do a change.......:D

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

NW Redneck,

I already found something else......Had to use one of her baking pans to put under the oil pan to do a change.......:D

That would be a stoning offense around here! :eek: NEVER touch the sacred pans! I don't dare risk losing out on cookies! :D

cookies002.jpg

Mmmmmmmmm, cooooooookieeeeeeessss! :D

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Ohhhhh The Eurythmics!!!!!!!

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Sweet dreams are made of............cookies! :D

janpetemar

Cadet

:D:D:D:D to the COOKIE MONSTER........never to fret about using pans in this household.....Certified Executive Chef is the writter.......:p:redface:

janpetemar

Cadet

Jason....welcome to the world of acronyms.....BOAT.....Bring Over Another Thousand.......:eek:

My theory is if the hull is in good shape, the mechanics in an older boat, although sometimes difficult to find information or parts, at least when you change your oil filter or fuel filter and other items, you have the opportunity to go to your local auto parts store instead of the dreaded marina. Had a 1962 - 32' Trogan with twin grey's, never a problem with getting parts or working on the engines the only major problem was spending 2 out of 3 months of the sailing season here in Michigan in dry dock scraping, sanding, packing, painting, vanishing, and replacing wood, along with another three days to slowly lower the boat into the water. This part of ownership, as I get older was a hidden cost that cost much more than working on my new one............