Upgrading to Glastron GLS 215 - Opinions

ttolbert

Recruit
Hi-

We purchased a 2011 Glastron GT 185 last year for use on a small lake in NY (about 4x1 miles), it is our first bought. While very happy with the boat overall I'm thinking of trading it in for an options-loaded 2012 Glastron GLS 215. The dealer is offering every $ paid on the GT 185 for a trade-in and also has lowered the asking price as the weeks go by for the GLS 215.

My main reasons for looking at an upgrade are:

1) The 185 gets tossed around quote a bit on windy days or weekends when the lake is packed.
2) With 4 adults on the 185 it can get a bit cramped.

The 185 has a 190 HP Merc 4.3 and the 215 has the Merc 5 liter MPI (260 HP). The 215 also has a semi-luxurious interior & seems better built than the GT 185. The materials & craftmanship appear to be a step or two over the GT line. I do read that it doesn't handle like a sport boat but not sure what impact that would really have.

For the 2 reasons I mentioned is an upgrade worth it? Will a 3' longer, 1' wider, 1000lbs heavier boat soak up the waves much better?

Is the gas consumption going to be a big difference? It seems so on paper but we typically park & play for the day.

Any issues with the 2012 Glastrons?

Comments & opinions please?

Thanks in advance!

ttolbert

Recruit
Re: Upgrading to Glastron GLS 215 - Opinions

Just wanted to add to the above.

Do certain colors fade quicker than others? I assume black fades quicker and the GLS 215 on the dealer floor is black.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you can get a good trade-in as you mentioned, then make the jump. An 18 foot boat is just too small. Rougher water performance will be better.

2012 Glastrons are no different than 2011 Glastrons, boats don't change that fast.

Do certain colors fade faster than others? I'm sure they do, but it depends a lot on where the color is coming from. You probably will upgrade again in a few years, so does it really matter?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

2-foot-itus kicks in pretty quick, doesn't it!

With the full trade in, it seems to be a very easy way to get the boat it sounds like you really want.

Just consider it that you got free boat rental for a year, while you figured out what you really want.

3' length, 1' beam & 1000lbs is a huge difference in nice ride, and interior space. (Although I have a hard time believing you have serious wave problems in a 4x1 mile lake) You will be happy.

The bigger boat with the 5.0 will be at least as sporty as the smaller with the 4.3.

If you don't do it, riding around in that tiny boat is always gonna bug you, knowing that you coulda got a 21 footer....:rolleyes:

gxl185

Cadet

Welcome to the forum.

I know exactly what you are going thru. We traded our 2007 GXL185 on a 2011 GLS215 and have not looked back since. The difference is that we waited 2 years for Glastron to offer the GLS in yellow and ordered ours. If you are able to get your money out of the 185 then that makes it easy, for me anyway. 18ft to 21ft makes a huge difference in ride and comfort. Our 185 got crowded real fast, 2 adults, a child, a small cooler, and a bag felt like we were on top of each other. The 215 is still comfortable even with 5 adults. Performance will be huge. The 5.0 MPI will start easier vs. the carbed 4.3 and will get the boat on plane effortlessly. I ordered mine with the 300hp VP 5.7 and it will plant you in the seat. Even the dealer couldn't wipe the smile off his face after the sea trial. If your dealer is serious about the sale, see if they will let you do a side by side in water comparison. I think you will be impressed.

Fuel consumption will be different, but not that much. If you are just putting around with the occasional quick blast, you will hardly notice. With gas prices looking to be around $4/gal this summer we plan on a lot of floating too. As far as not handling like a sport boat, it will handle like a 260hp, 21ft sport boat. There are lots of boats larger than 21ft that are considered sport boats. It all depends on what you are used to. If you do get to do a sea trial, try to bring as many people as you think you will usually boat with to get a feel for overall room/comfort and performance.

Here are some pics of my boats,

old

g.jpg

new

4.jpg

Do you know how long the dealer had the GLS in inventory? That may influence him on the deal also. What does it have for options, and where is it located?
I hope I was able to help and not add to the confusion. I drove myself crazy for a while trying to convince myself to do it, but in the end knowing it was worth it.

If you have any questions, ask away...

Good luck,

Kevin

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Listen to the wisdom of GXL185 (who, after his boat upgrade, regrets his username!). Seems like he does not regret his upgrade.

"As far as not handling like a sport boat, it will handle like a 260hp, 21ft sport boat."

Feeling power in a little boat is cool, but feeling bigger power in a bigger boat is WAY cooler!

Skiya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 21' w/ a 5.0L will pull anybody up out of the water w/ no problems and more people on the boat. You will be surprised how much difference 2 more feet of boat makes as far as comfort and handling. If you do get it, look into Smart tabs. I have a 21' Chap w/ 270hp and while it did get up on plane quickly w/ no problems, w/ the Smart tabs it cut the plane time in half and it's up on plane in 2-3 seconds. Plus you can stay on plan at slower speeds also, on plane uses less gas.

As for fading, darker colors just show the oxidation more than white will on a unkept boat, as long as you wipe it down after each use, keep it waxed and covered from the sun when your not boating you will not have any problems w/ the color gelcoat. Mine is stored outside but w/ a good sunbrella cover and it still looks like new and I'm in the desert w/ a lot of sun.

IMG_0928-1.jpg

gxl185

Cadet

Well, the suspense is killing me.

Did he, or didn't he?

Inquiring minds want to know.

ttolbert

Recruit

Thanks to everyone for the quick & informative replies.

I've have decided to make the move but hit a small road block. The dealer tells me now that a $2,000 incentive from Glastron has expired as of 4/6. It would have been nice if they told me there was an expiration date on the price they quoted me. As of now I told them I would be shopping around, only issue is they are the only Glastron dealer in the area and more than likely the only place that will offer full trade-in value on my GT185.

Ugh!

ttolbert

Recruit

OK, I bit the bullet and bought it last week. The dealer was able to keep the $2,000 incentive and gave another $1,000 discount to boot.

Loving the new ride but out of the gate there is an issue they are looking at. If I come out of neutral at low sppeds the motor stalls out :( Aside from that the ride is awesome & the power from the 5.0 MPI is amazing (huge difference) over the 4.3 GT 185

Thanks again all!

gxl185

Cadet

Congrats and welcome to the club.

Of course, you know, we need pictures. We love pictures.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Doesn't sound too serious. It is probably the adjustment on the ignition interrupt switch on the shift/throttle control. Let us know how everything turns out.

Go-Man

Recruit

I own a Glastron GLS 215 with 350 HP V8, stainless steel prop, bimini top and all the extras you could put on it. We traded in our Lund 17.5 foot for this boat. Wow, what a big difference. We hardly feel the waves how -- cut right through them like a hot knife through butter. It does 60mph and turns on a dime. There is a big difference in ride from the 185 you have to this 21.5 -- the extra weight really helps to dampen the bumps...hardly feel them anymore.