Replacement for OMC Cobra

CCman1

Cadet
I have a 1994 19' Chris Craft Concept with a OMC 5.0 Litre(Ford) mated to a OMC Cobra outdrive. Is there a non-OMC sterndrive that I can replace my current OMC unit with? I really like the boat and I would prefer to replace the sterndrive with a more reliable one if a replacment is possible without major rework?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Replacement for OMC Cobra

not sure of aftermarket OMC drives

that era circa 1994, you could have a Volvo SX drive that has the OMC name on it

if so you could go with a new Volvo SX drive, but it is exactly the same as the OMC of that vintage

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mercruiser Alpha One drive systems use the same transom hole and engine mount dimensions, but you have to remove EVERYTHING OMC. Controls, transom plate, exhaust, throttle brackets, wiring harness, drive.

What you're talking about is much easier accomplished by selling the boat and buying one with a different drive.

OMC drives are reliable when they're adjusted properly. Get a service manual, get it adjusted, and enjoy it until you sell it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have a 94 OMC drive with the cone clutch, you basically have the OMC/Volvo joint venture drive which is better than any Mercruiser. Where is your raw water pump located or, better yet, what is your model number?

CCman1

Cadet

The Model number of my OMC Cobra Sterdrive is 987346.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is a 1993 Cobra drive, not an SX Cobra

CCman1

Cadet

Yep, I know it is a Cobra sterndrive and not a SX. One of the replies to my original question mentioned SX in his reply.