Drain In Cuddy? What is it MAN!

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a 19.2 ft 88 well craft cuddy. Found a drain in the bow. When trailoring it water must have slushed up into my cabin and soaked the rug. Does it drain out the back transit area and can I plug the hole???? I would rather have it dry up there.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Drain In Cuddy? What is it MAN!

Ayuh,... It's Supposed to drain down to the pumpable bilge....

Do you leave the garboard plug Out, while on the wagon,..??

If not, ya Should...

Maclin

Admiral

Do not plug the hole in the cabin area. The only reason water came back out of it into the cabin is because there is a lot of water in your boat that has not been pumped out or drained by removing the transom bilge drain plug with the bow up.

Drain the bilge, then next time after boating when retrieving stop on the ramp and remove the bilge drain plug while the boat is at that extreme angle. Not much water should come out. If a lot comes out, like more than 10-15 seconds of draining, then you have some work to do to find out how that much water is getting in.

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

Awe man, Dont scare me. Just bought this boat. I can see water swishing around in the hole. Does the hole run back under the boat to the engine area?? Thanks.

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

Is the bildge drain plug different than the drain plug in the back of the boat?? If so I can handle this NP. In other words are there to drain plugs? Thanks again

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... We're talkin' 'bout THE Drain plug, in the transom....

Is it Out,..?? It should be, Any time the boat is on the wagon....

Maclin

Admiral

Hopefully it is just rain water. Boats should be stored Bow Up and Plug Out.

Philster

Captain

Is the hole clear? Can you run a wire through it? Is your bilge dry but water is stuck in the cuddy?

On the Wellcraft you are talking about, these questions and answers are important.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Does the hole run back under the boat to the engine area?? ...

The hole, and everything under the floor (sole), should all be connected and drain to the rear (stern) of the boat.
If all the water does not end up under the motor with the bow up, then you either have something blocking it, or gravity doesn't work in your boat. :eek:
The bildge pump will get rid of it on the water, The drain does the same job on shore. :)

Is the bildge drain plug different than the drain plug in the back of the boat?? If so I can handle this NP. In other words are there two drain plugs? Thanks again

The Bildge Plug IS the Drain Plug in the Back of the Boat.
Bildge Plug = Drain Plug = Transom Plug = Garboard Plug.
Same thing, different names. :D

chrisss72 said:
Awe man, Dont scare me. Just bought this boat ... Just bought a 19.2 ft 88 well craft cuddy.

Not to scare you, but, unless the water issue is just a recent problem, a 24 year old boat with standing water in the bildge could mean that any wood in the hull has been compromised. (That's putting it nicely!)

It is supposed to be dry down there!
It's like living in a house with an inch of water in the basement! :eek:

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

I get it fellas. 1 plug in the boat!! Really thank you. Im a newbie. Never put this boat in the water but did trailor it with the plug not intact. Will lift the boat and see if the water drains. Slight soft spot in front of the capitans chair but thats it.I can pull the carpet up and look at it. Water is trickling our the back for a week now but we did have rain. Dont think anyrain got in but water has its ways as you know. Thanks for the info.

TilliamWe

Banned

This water isn't in an anchor locker is it? It's under the front cushion in the cuddy?

Water trickling for a week with no rain is NOT a good thing. Sorry. :(

Philster

Captain

Well, if it is under a cushion in a locker, then I'd wager it came in at the deck/hull joint (behind rubrail). The front of those Wellcrafts are notorious for that, and it wouldn't be the first to be waterlogged (also, the OP mentions a soft spot).

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

The trickle is more like a drip or few. No battery hooked up. Though I did trailor it for 2 straight hours on the high way. Stopping would allow the water to flow back up the cuddy hole.(like when you have items in a truck bed) I will jack the front of the trailor up a bit in the drive way. The drive way is on a slant helping water out the drain. THANKS

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

boat looks solid. Ill look at that joint. Hopfully I got my self a nice boat. Very clean interior. All original. IMG_0273.jpgIMG_0267.jpgIMG_0269.jpg

Philster

Captain

Get the water out. After it rains, check again and report back. Or, run a hose over the bow, get in the cuddy and take a peek.

She looks good, but check these things out. Might be nothing.

UncleWillie

Captain

Your living room looks great!
Everyone is worried about the foundation!

Your bildge drains are plugged!
There are holes right at the keel going through each of the stiffing ribs under the floor.
You could have 3 or 4 of them.
See Post #804 and #805 to get an idea of what it looks like under the floor.

Even if it rained in the boat, the dripping should have stopped about the same time your sidewalk dried up!.

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

The drain does have some "Crap" in it. Ill such it clean with a shop vac real quick and see if all the water drains........ This is so much fun!

NYBo

Admiral

Get yourself some kind of cover to keep the rain out. Just because it's a boat doesn't mean it can take being constantly wet. You'll also save that nice interior from sun damage.