Please dont cringe too much....Need help with rotten lugs/rims.

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the process of rebuilding a trailer that has a TON of surface rust. The rims and lugs are shot, so I need to remove them before sand blasting the trailer. I have a couple questions. If i remove this star nut that holds in the bearing, will this also release the hub from the axle for me? Additionally, it looks like the lugs have rotted away on the back side of the hub. I see no posts that are keeping them from slipping through to the rim face (SCARY!!). Or they might screw directly into the hub. How should one go about removing lugs and nuts that are about 75% rusted through?

Here are the photos.
c1edc6c1.jpg

4d73bf6f.jpg

Re: Please dont cringe too much....Need help with rotten lugs/rims.

I would replace the entire axle/wheels and that is only if the remainder of the trailer frame is truly surface rusted. From what I see in the pictures the rust a really advanced. Once there is bubbling I am willing to bet the structure integrity is damaged.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would replace the entire axle/wheels and that is only if the remainder of the trailer frame is truly surface rusted. From what I see in the pictures the rust a really advanced. Once there is bubbling I am willing to bet the structure integrity is damaged.

I'm with him. That thing looks pretty bad. Maybe beyond fixing.

To answer your question though, yes, if you remove that nut it will allow you to remove the hub. Make sure the cotter pin is removed from the castle nut before you loosen it. Can't tell from pic if cotter pin is still in there or not. Good luck.

NYBo

Admiral

I'm with idonthaveaname. Don't bother trying to salvage that axle.

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to locate a replacement axle. In the mean time, i am hoping to salvage the hubs. They are actually in pretty decent shape now that i have the wheel off. Upon further inspection it looks like the lugs are the screw in type (studs?), not the bolt type. Any ideas on how to remove the rim from these bad boys?

UncleWillie

Captain

Any ideas on how to remove the rim from these bad boys?

This only makes sense if you have a LOT more time than money. :)

Option 1....
Soak the back of the hub in penetraiting oil to loosen the studs.
Heat them up good and Red.
Get a 6 Point Socket on the nut.
Torque on them like a BIG Girl! :eek:
A Big Breaker bar with a cheater will either loosen them up, or snap them off.
Did I mention to use a 6 Point Socket!

Option 2 ....
Drill the middle of the stud out untill the nut falls off.
Getting the old stud out of the Hub will be an issue.
That is why press-in studs are prefered.

Option 3 ....
Pray that Option 1 worked! :rolleyes:
New Hub are Not expensive.

Your tires a likey shot also.
Rims can be purchaes with the tire already on them for less than the cost to mount a new tire on an old rim. :D

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I replaced an axle on my trailer last year. The most difficult part was welding the new perches on square but it wasn't that hard of a job.
Got any pics of the spindle? Is it rusted?
Why is this thing so rusty?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pensacola, FL explains some of why the axle/hubs look like that. Coupled with lack of care after saltwater dunks. What are the springs like? And the frame? If it's close to looking like the axle, I'd be looking for a trailer.

Mi duckdown

Commander

What GA_Boater posted.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I had no idea that salt water could do that to a trailer. Do you have to rinse it off with fresh water when you get home to prevent this from happening?
What happens to the manifolds and water pump on the boat?

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had no idea that salt water could do that to a trailer. Do you have to rinse it off with fresh water when you get home to prevent this from happening?

yes, you should always fresh water rinse

but I'd bet that was a fresh water lake trailer that someone used in the salt and it was never intended for it

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I agree if the rest of the trailer looks anything like the axle I wouldn't even bother trying to save it. Cut it up sell it for scrap and put the money towards a new one.

to give the OP an answer on the question regarding prices on new hubs. i just replaced the hubs on my project's trailer, 1 3/8x 1 1/16 axle stubs and i paid $35 each for my hubs. if there is a Tractor supply by you, they also deal with replacement trailer parts. also, i recommend bearing buddy grease caps after you install the new axle and hubs. just my thoughts on dealing with this problem.

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here. I was not getting notifications on my phone like usual. I took the hubs off and the spindle is in great condition. No rust at all. It was super greased up which prevented any deterioration. This boat/trailer is one that my buddy gave me. Believe me, I would NEVER let my trailer get to this point. The rest of the trailer has what I would consider surface rust with a couple small spots of rust beyond surface. For travel down to the end of the road to the local launch it is fine structurally. The salt water here is like acid. Engines, trailers, fiberglass, electronics...without proper care they all have a short life span. During the winter I even go and clean the trailer off about once every week just because I live on a bluff surrounded by saltwater. The air is saturated with it. SOOOO, to get to the matter again..I located hubs for $35 apiece. I was lucky enough to come across 4 new rims/tires that are barely used for free. And after some sand blasting and sealing I think we should be in business. Thanks for all the great information. Cheers!

SaltlifeDan

Recruit

yes, you should always fresh water rinse

but I'd bet that was a fresh water lake trailer that someone used in the salt and it was never intended for it

I even spray WD 40 on my trailer. Salt water will eat your trailer in no time flat if you don't take care of it.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I am guessing this is a painted steel trailer?
Hopefully it is the C-Channel type frame vs steel tube ?

With the axle and hubs in that condition, I would be amazed that the frame is worth the effort of sandblasting and painting.