ozone generator for odor removal

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking to eliminate the musty smell from my 42 ocean, has anyone used an ozone generator to eliminate cabin odors? and are they worth the $300

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: ozone generator for odor removal

What brand of ozone generator?

Yes they do work, but they work IN conjunction to you recfiying the reason the mold originated. Such as a window / hatch leak. If you don;t fix the problem the ozone will not be the cure all.

You also should be using the ozone when the area is vacated. There is a large debate that is still ongoing out breathing ozone and its impact on your health.

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just spent the night on the boat and it had been sitting in the water in NC for a month closed up. Once I opened it all up and cranked the 3 air conditioners it got better in a few hours I'm just looking to have the boat fresh all the time. how bout the solar fans that install in a port window to keep flow moving through any info on that?

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can make your own ozone generator for about $25.

Years ago, I got a great deal on a 97 4Runner that someone had used as an ash tray. I put my home made ozone generator in the thing for 4 hours with the fan blowing and fixed the smell.

Here is how to build one...

Go to a surplus store and buy an old neon sign transformer. I used the actual transformers, not the solid state ballasts. At my surplus place they cost $20. The one that I have is sort of square-ish, black, and weighs about 7 lbs.

Cut a slot in a 2x8 about 1/2" deep in a crosscut fashion. You will need it to hold a small piece of glass. Find some window pane or art shop glass that is about 8X10 or so. Scuff up both sides with some sandpaper. Cut two pieces of alumimum bug screen about 3" x3", and hot glue them to both sides of the glass, centered up as much as possible. Don't make the screen too large. I don't know how large is too large, but you will burn up your transformer if so. 3x3 has worked for me for a long time. 5x6 burned up one of my transformers.

Slip the glass into the board, mount the transformer on the board. Get some neon light high voltage wiring, and attach one side of the screen to the body transformer, and the other side of the screen to the high voltage output of the transformer.

Attach 120VAC to the transformer input, and you will be making ozone.

Ozone is nasty stuff. It is a three oxygen molecule that is barely held together with a weak bond. That third Oxygen atom wants to hook up with anything stronger. In doing so, it oxidizes organic items. It is great for getting rid of odor, killing nasties in water, but it also can be hell on cotton, rubber, leather. Use it sparingly.

You know that nifty "fresh scent" smell that you smell after an electrical storm? Ozone. Except that ozone does not have an odor. That fresh scent is actually your nasal tissues oxidizing. Don't breathe it any more than you have to.

I'll see if I can find my generator in the garage and post a picture.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here it is in all its glory. Last time it was assembled with silicone caulk to hold the screen in place.

Don't let the jumper wires get too close to one another, or let the H.V. lead get too close to the body of the transformer, or it will arc.

And keep an eye on how you set it up. Obviously, this is not UL nor CSA rated and can burn you down in a hurry. Other than that it works great :)

IMG_0558-1.jpg

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There's not really a debate about whether breathing ozone is bad. It is bad. It is a highly reactive molecule just looking for something to oxidize. It is a well known respiratory irritant and will damage airways and lungs. There is some debate on just how much it takes to be dangerous. That ozone generator sound dangerous too. It wouldn't be something that you could leave running without the danger of lighting the boat on fire.

Jeep Man

Commander

Instead of buying one, many rental outlets rent them. As well, fire / flood restorers also rent them. They use them to clean out odors. A few friend that are real estate sales people rent them to eliminate odors from homes that have been empty for a while.

NMShooter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That ozone generator sound dangerous too. It wouldn't be something that you could leave running without the danger of lighting the boat on fire.

And risk electrocuting yourself.

Much like guns, gas, and golf clubs.... don't try it if you don't have some common sense! With a little bit of caution it is safe.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

my local detail guy has two ozone generators. used it to get the smell of a 2 week old 2# package of bacon my grandmother left in her car. check with your local detail guys.