1979 Sylvan Sport Rebuild

I bought this boat last year and used the heck out of it now it is time for some TLC prior to the season!
I have looked though the forum and found TONS of information that has greatly reduced my learning curve, thanks to all for that.

I gutted the boat the other day, almost, maybe 30 min left to finish it. I do have a few questions prior to starting the "rebuild process" that I was hoping you all could help me out with.

1) foam was soaked so I removed it and tossed it. I am looking to build some rod lockers in the floor and was looking at pour foam for ease and structural reinforcement on the new 1/2 ply floor I am laying down. Question is how does that effect the drain holes????????

2) Once the floor is down should I epoxy again and if so should I go clear to the hull sides?

3) Can I paint on the outside over the scuffed existing paint as it really is not bad and I am not looking for show boat rather a fishing boat, but, one that will please the wife as well.

I am sure that I will have more, and I will post some photos but this will be a huge help! 70 and sunny this week so it is a great motivator!!!!

Thanks guys,

Eric

Re: 1979 Sylvan Sport Rebuild

o.K. got an idea from my buddy on the expantion foam. cover the bottem of the boat with a plastic drop cloth, then pour the foam in. Keep the water from the foam and keeps the foam from filling the holes. Great idea Craig thanks!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the drydock Steelhead,

First read and watch the videos on these two threads...
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=510077
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

These will answer about 99% of any and all questions...

They will take awhile to get through, but they are worth every second...

You are basically on the right track...but don't worry about paint or foam right now, you are quite a ways away from those concerns...your priorties are to repair the boats' structure and then you can worry about the finishing details...

Most importantly, you need to post pictures of what you are working on so that the pro's here can SEE what you are working on and can give you the proper direction...

You can get a free Photobucket account, load your pics there, then click the IMG tag and post them here.

Ask any and all questions.

Best of Luck and Have Fun!
GT1M

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Is this boat fiberglass or aluminum?

Fast forward a few months and I am done.
Fixed leaks, new floor, new casting deck, new storage, new carpet, new transom, new wire, new paint, new lowrance and rocking the lakes again.
DSCF4958.jpg

DSCF4954.jpg

DSCF4952.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!

Eric

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Nice job and congratulations...

Enjoy!