it up and shut down.......just like you shut the key off

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
after a long fight with old girl (shortened version...bought with cracked block, found replacement rebuilt, failed oil pump, replaced it... after fixing each issue it would run fine...get the idea:confused::mad:) i went out last fall for what i was hoping to be the last good ride before winterising. Was on the water, smooth as glass, and she was running tip top. i am thinking..... it's going to be a good day. The better half sends me a text says "kids want a ride." so i turn boat around head for hours (advantage of water front properity:D) get back into throttle about half way back it just up and shuts off just as if i shut the key off. i lost total spark. got towed in i have power going to coil but no spark coming out......what gives.......it does have new coil, plugs, wires, i did not replace the points in it, i was going to do that this spring.is that where i start at? i have not heard of points just up and totally going out like that. so what gives? please give me some guidances and as always THANKS

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: it up and shut down.......just like you shut the key off

i have power going to coil but no spark coming out......what gives.......it does have new coil, plugs, wires, i did not replace the points in it, i was going to do that this spring.is that where i start at? i have not heard of points just up and totally going out like that. so what gives? please give me some guidances and as always THANKS

You say you have power going to your ignition coil (as in B+ I assume), points are your ignitions ground to the coil. Start with your points and condenser, and check your ballast resistor (if equipped). Not hard to imagine a NON-solid state electrical component such as ignition points turning south in short order...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Disconnect the gray tack wire on the coil and see if your spark comes back.

tpenfield

Staff member

Get a sailboat, God does not want you to have a motorboat.

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys ...... i will try the tack (gray) wire first. i sont know why i didnt think of that before hand but make total sence.... if that is a no go then i will start with a new set of points and resistor....

as far as the sail boad.... i like the idea and would save on gas for sure but...... the lake i live on, well considering there are trees all the way around it and is pretty small, a sail baot jsut wont work plus kids want to go tubing this year......

fsjcowboy

Seaman Apprentice

To eliminate a possibly faulty low oil pressure switch, bypass the low oil pressure switch and try starting again. Of course, check your oil level first!

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do not think this one has the lo oil pressur switch...... when did they start that? all that is there by oil pressure sender (single wire bell style) is the sender and a t then my mechanincal guage that i put on it to to verify the one in the dash was half way close

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey quick question what engine is it, if its the 140 check to see what voltage is going into the coil maybe a bad coil it should be 6-9 volts if anymore you probably blew the coil (did that to me) and while your at it order the tune up kit on here for 30 bucks that incl
cap rotor condenser and point then set your timming and dwell and hopefully you should be good to go.

Ryan

Edit: is the coil b4 or after this problem if so its not new anymore lol

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got to spend about 15 min on it over the weekend (this included time to uncover it) unhooked the tack wire (per don s) and it jumped a arc at least 3/8 of in from coil wire to engine block. it did not do this before as you could hold on to the wire. So now i get the jpb of figuring out if it is the wire or the tack. Which brings me to the question..... Can an auto tack be used? i know from readding other threads that there are a lot of areas in the engine bay that you do not hwat to use auto parts but, since this one is out in the open would it be a problem?

and the coil was new (less then 2 hours run time) prior to this issue.... and will be doing the tune up kit after i get this figured out thanks again for the help

Don S

So now i get the jpb of figuring out if it is the wire or the tack.

Make yourself a long jumper wire and hook it on the tach sender wire and the coil and see if you have spark.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont see why you couldnt use a auto tach its not a key component to the engine electrical system I.E. it shouldnt have high voltage like the alternator or starter where it could spark or anything like that

Ryan

Don S

Automotive tachs work the same way, but marine tachs are designed different so they can be out in the rain and watery areas. Not like the insides of a car.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for clarifying that i was hopping you would chime in

Ryan

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

thatnks for clearifying that as well. I will try the jumper wire once i get back home this weekend (gotg one of them jobs wher ei am gone all week). i understand the compnets like this wear out and short out and what not. My question is which is it more likely to be....the wire or tach?

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

being a 88 id quicker say the Wire but its prob the tach cuz unlike a car the hull of the boat is not a ground it would actually have to make contact with a grounded metal going back to the battery

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

i finally got some time to work on it..... had to get starter rebuilt (reputable shop that is familuar with marine aplications) got it fired up with out the tach wire... hooked back up to see if it would stall but it didnt even hesitate...... ran good (prob about 30 min) turn key to shut it off but nothing, it stayed running:eek: sycled the key a couple times left it in the off positation and as i was about to cover carb with a rag it idled really low and died...... a couple hours goes by and get momma's honey do list done i go back out went to start it but no fire..... i turn and look thing over and find my coil blew its top:eek::facepalm:..... ok i get what caused that the faulty ignation switch was still in the on positation suppling power to the coil and it got to hot...... could that also be the cause of it loosing all spark wile it was on the water last fall? since it does still run with the tach and orignal tach wire hooked up. after finding this issue i unhooked the battery and have since bought a new coil and ignation switch but have not hat a chance to put them in yet.... please chime in on my theory here.... many thanks andy

Bondo

Staff member

please chime in on my theory here....

Ayuh,.... It's quite possible that the keyswitch has been the issue from the get-go....