64 3 hp Johnson

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,
Just installed new points, condensors, coils, plugs in my 3 hp johnson. A friend said before I try to start it I needed to time it to make sure the gap was right on the points(.020) at the (top) of lobe. Is this necessary? Thanks for any info. John

kbait

Commander
Re: 64 3 hp Johnson

Absolutely. Must be gapped to .020" on highest spot on lobe. LOTS of info if you search this forum..

Good luck!

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do I time it ,with what ? Thankyou John Wow nice fish

kbait

Commander

Timing is accomplished by point gap on universal mag motors lik yours. You can check it w/timing light if you wish (flywheel mark/armature plate mark), but you'll find it's very close if points are set properly to .020" and no excessive armature plate wobble.. good luck!

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Timing is accomplished by point gap on universal mag motors lik yours. You can check it w/timing light if you wish (flywheel mark/armature plate mark), but you'll find it's very close if points are set properly to .020" and no excessive armature plate wobble.. good luck!

Thanks much you guys are great

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Those are great little motors. I have a couple of those, myself. Take good care of it and it'll run forever. Run the fuel mix at 24:1 or 16:1 to ensure the longevity on that motor. The 3hp of your time frame stated 50:1, but that's a mistake. There's no needle bearings in that motor, so it'll need the same fuel mix as the older motors. I prefere 16:1 in that particular model, but some here will tell you that 24:1 is good.

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boy you guys are like having a built in marina at home. You are all awsome. John That is a terrific link. I printed it all. Thankyou