Big Rock

QC

Supreme Mariner
I don't know if this 340 Ton boulder is making the news near any of you, and maybe it shouldn't, but some of you might be interested in the logistics:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-lacma-rock-20111125,0,6052405.story

It just started moving last night and it's got 10 more days to make 105 miles. It's going to spend the day parked very close to my house, so I think I'll go out and at least get a look at the trailer. Pretty amazing:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-heizer-rock-20111123-i,0,6572039.htmlstory

attachment.php

Rock trailer.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Big Rock

Ayuh,.... How'd ya like to be buyin' the tires on that wagon,..??

I'm guessin' it'd be Many years of my income...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Since it is supposed to average 5 MPH I don't think aero's going to come into play.

fishrdan

Admiral

I can appreciate the logistics of moving that huge boulder across LA.

But...

Work crews from 100 utility districts will accompany the rock to take down traffic signs, overhead wires and other obstacles, then reinstall them once the giant transporter moves on. A signal expert will move and then reinstate the traffic lights that otherwise would be mowed down like blades of grass by the transporter, which is nearly as wide as three freeway traffic lanes.

The whole project ? cost of the rock, its transport and construction of the sculpture site ? will cost up to $10 million, which the museum has raised from private donors......

$10 million bucks so the rock can be an art display :confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I know, me too . . . the odd thing to me in these combos is the pusher truck. They must know what they're doing, but I have a hard time believing that even that many axles, and that much weight needs 1200 bhp to move at 5 MPH. Seems like the pull ought to be enough. Heck they do more than a third of that weight in Australia at 45 MPH with a single 500 hp tractor.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How long before someone starts a thread wanting to know if they can pull this setup with their wife's crossover SUV?:D

JRJ

Commander

Hope the sculptor doesn't blow it.............Probably could have done some lasting good somewhere with $10mil.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the odd thing to me in these combos is the pusher truck.

With a rig that long a pusher is needed to get around even gentle curves.

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a rig that long a pusher is needed to get around even gentle curves.

Agreed. Some of them have rear dollies that can be steered by remote control. I think that set-up is so big that they are having to steer the rear dollies with the pusher rig.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Maybe, but the animation in the second link shows they can steer all pivot points. Click on "Steering the Long Load" and "Crabbing Over Bridges."

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Typically all trailer axles will be hydraulic steer. The pusher is more for traction, even with full ballast they are geared so low they are prone to wheelspin.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm all for Art. It's in the eye of the beholder. What is 'Art' to me may not be to you.

But 10 million bucks for a friggin' rock!!

For Pete's sake, find a smaller rock, and spend the money on feeding the hungry, or educating our children. In short; something useful!

:mad:

<<)))(((>>

Last edited by a moderator:

QC

Supreme Mariner

I edited out the possibly political portion of your post.

While I share some of the same concerns, it is all donations and those that have it can donate to whatever cause they may. How is a smaller rock any different? Less wasted money? Same/same, just less.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Heck they could have built a museum at the quary for less. What were/are they thinking!

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Guys you are going to laugh but a couple years ago my wife spotted a "rock" she thought would look good in the front yard. Eye balling it I'd say it was roughly 6 foot in diameter. When I said no way she said, "It'll fit on the car hauler / trailer, what's the problem"? Took a week to convince her there was no way I could move it. I still don't think she believes me.

She doesn't but that is what a wife is for, remember my wife not understanding the difference between the race transmission from the Super late Model and the Transmission from her dodge dakota? They don't live in the same dimension as we do.....

QC

Supreme Mariner

About 25 years ago we were pulling the boat back from Blythe on I10. There is an area called Whitewater not too far from where this big rock came from. The wife had me pull over and she pointed out about 25 good size rocks that she wanted and had me load them in the boat. Man that bugged me, but they aren't called the Admiral for nuttin' . . .

chriscraft254

Commander

What a waste of money. I'm more concerned about the other rock that is heading towards earth that could truly ruin our boating seasons for good.:facepalm: