1965 Sea king

tlf5211

Recruit
Hi all

i m new and i just wanted to know whether or not it was worth it to rebuild my sea king. i recently acquired it and am looking into a rebuild. here are some pictures tell me what you think thank you.

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 2
  • boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 1

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Sea king

Not a bad looking boat. Sea King boats were sold by Mongomery-Ward, and MOST were built by Starcraft... They are pretty decent little boats. As to wether it's worth it- Do YOU really like the boat? Are you STILL going to like it after you've spent 100's of hours and 1000's of dollars on it?

Looking at the photos, I can tell you are going to need a new transom. Odds are, the floor is bad- And the stringers. It'll be a total 'gut job', for sure. Very doable- especially with the help on this forum- But it will be a lot of work an a lot of money... Then, after you're done with the boat, you've got to put a motor on it, controls, electrical, etc. Depending on how you do things, you'll probably be looking $1500 or so as a minimum... So- If YOU like the, boat- GO FOR IT.

-Andrew

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

She's a bit on the rought side. Took a hard hit on the starboard stern. Nothing that can't be fixed. Windshields are hard to come by, but if you're handy you can fabricate one yourself. She looks a lot like my Flamingo. If you're attached to her and don't mind sinking 2-3 grand in her you could make her look new. Do you have a motor?

andgott

Here's how she looked in her 'Glory days'-

Seakingb65001.jpg

yabuoy

Seaman

That would make a great cruiser. The trailer looks like it could use some help. Love the lines of the boat. If you have the time and patience I say go for it

tlf5211

Recruit

Thank you for your responses I will go for it but the next question is where do I start ?

andgott

There are a number of great threads on here that will provide you with guidance... I recently completed a restoration on a 1960 Glasspar-

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=355668&

And, there is also Wood's Flamingo, Which is getting REALLY close to completion-

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982

There are a LOT of other ones on here, two- But both of these boats are similar in age and construction to yours, so will provide a lot of help to you...

-Andrew

tlf5211

Recruit

that you very much those will help me greatly. I'm not there yet but could you explain to me how to take out the deck because mine holds me but has a lot of soft spots.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Deck removal is pretty straight forward. Use a circular saw set just shy of the depth of your deck matereal and cut around the edges and several passes across the deck. Then just normal demolition with hammers, chisels and crow bars to remove all the debris.

tlf5211

Recruit

ive finally gotten some time to do some work i just wanted to know if i take the supports out as well when im taking out the deck. in the following pictures.

boat1.jpgboat2.jpgboat3.jpgboat4.jpgboat5.jpg