offshore in a not so big boat

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
ok, so not really off off shore but still 20-30 miles. who here goes off shore in a small boat. Im in new jersey so the canyons are less than 40 miles from here, also the (mudhole) which starts the hudson canyon. I play my days by the weather the morning off, keep the 1/4 tank out 1/4 tank in rule and keep 1/2 just in case. My boat holds 80 gallons and i can get almost 280 miles if i keep a light throttle.

just wondering who else here ventures out to bluewater with there small boat (30'and under)

and does any one here fish off new jersey

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: offshore in a not so big boat

When I finally get my 25' fish ready, I plan to go out of OC MD with a buddy boat during a nice Bermuda high?
Watch the weather, have a float plan, buddy boat - be safe. I would consider 20-30, miles out offshore! Hav-ing
two moters is also a good idea.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

This topic has been discussed at length many, many times. Check the search feature and see what was posted earlier.

Philster

Captain

Fished Southern NJ all my life... Cape May out to the canyons.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you can't see land, You are OFF SHORE!

Make sure the boat is equipped for it. :)

Two engines, At least a kicker that makes hull speed.
Dual batteries.
Dual Bilge Pumps.
Type I PFD's.
DSC VHF Radio.
EPIRB w/GPS.
Inflatable Life Boat if you can fit one.
And all the other "stuff that you never plan on using!"

Mother nature may let you go out, She may not let you come back!
But, Davey Jones welcomes all comers! :eek:

Now Go for It... And have a great time! :D

sasto

Captain

just wondering who else here ventures out to bluewater with there small boat (30'and under

Made a trip to the Bahamas...60 miles away...in an 18CC Sea Pro once. Her name became Sasto (Some Are Sicker Than Others). She was a gift, and gifted...We even made it back! Miss that tuff babe.

I wouldn't hesitate taking a 30 offshore. Do it all the time. Still here...somewhat.

What kind of boat are we talking about, badfish?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

The only thing that wasn't mentioned were necessary tools and misc parts (plugs, tape, wire, etc.) A simple fix isn't so simple when you have nothing to work with.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

its a 20' angler eagle, 80 gal fuel tank, two batteries, full spare parts kit, gps, hand held back up, and compass. farthest from shore so far is 28 miles

chriscraft254

Commander

Its really not the boat so much as it is your experience and weather conditions. Use to take a 19 mako 30 miles out of long island all the time.

You know the weather up there, it can switch on a dime, just like most places. Be careful and be prepared and it should be no problem. You don't need two motors to go offshore either! I would invest in a epirb before I invested in a second motor.

Know your equipment and there limits, know your area, and know when to say lets go home.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had an Angler FX204 and took it out 20+ miles all the time. The weather report is your best friend and file a verbal float plan with your family or friends so they know when to expect you to return. This gives them time to get things happening in the unlikely event you're stuck somewhere.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

around here, while people may not like the crowds, it is the other boats that keep you safe. Going on a Tuesday in November is not the same as a Saturday in July. That makes a big difference on how you run it.

I know a guy who would run his 19' Carolina Skiff with a tiller steer out 40 miles alone. He is also a commercial harbor pilot, commercial fisherman and life-long boater. That's a big difference, too.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I am definately not an expert but I have been offshore in smallcraft off the N.C. coast enough to know the seriousness of this question. We ALWAYS fished along w friends w/3 or more other boats in touch/sight/radio on predicted calmish condition days offshore. I do recall we always headed back with, or tried to stay within sight of the big charterboats while out there. We would also haul donkey If we saw the charterboats heading in fast or early!!!

ok now i would think a 18' is ok to take off shore, And a 30' is more then enough to take offshore not lets talk about taking a 14' offshore :). lol ive taken my 14' close to offshore i could see land tho lol. i mean like ive taking it to the opening to the ocean at the end of the bay. i was hitting 3' swells every 10-15 seconds

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My boat holds 80 gallons and i can get almost 280 miles if i keep a light throttle.
What motor and boat do you have that you "average" 3.5 MPH in ocean conditions? Cut that number in half and you'll have a more realistic "average".

I make te run out to the Jack Spot and Hot Dogs, etc, out of OC Md. 15-20 times a season. If unsure of yourself, use the buddy system.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

i have a 125 merc salt water, and ive just taken an average from 3 full 80 gallon tanks, i got 292. 270, and 286. and thats from topped off till the needle was buried on E thats all i have to go buy untill i get me a GPH gauge. the motor does suck some oil though

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the length of the boat is not nearly as important as the hull design. Look at the bow riders with the dropped bow and no flare or splash rails--my 13' whaler is more seaworthy than one of those at 19'. A bay boat and a deep V with a carolina flare are two different animals.

More important is the skill of the operator.

well said home cooking. my trihull isn't the right boat to take out in the ocean lol. boston whalers are cool little boat. If you wanna go small and still go in the ocean you need a 13' zodiac center console with a 40hp now those are cool ocean boats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

i have a 125 merc salt water, and ive just taken an average from 3 full 80 gallon tanks, i got 292. 270, and 286. and thats from topped off till the needle was buried on E thats all i have to go buy untill i get me a GPH gauge. the motor does suck some oil though

If you are going out to the canyons in a boat being pushed by a 125 you have much, much larger stones than I. Good luck.

sasto

Captain

If you are going out to the canyons in a boat being pushed by a 125 you have much, much larger stones than I. Good luck.

That's 'cause you don't need big stones in a Grady. She can take care of herself. She is tough....Tougher than me!:cool:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

the length of the boat is not nearly as important as the hull design.

Yup. My 27' is a fine 'bay boat' with good accommodations for the 2 of us for weekends on the hook and the occasional longish cruise. That's why I bought it. A similarly-sized Bertram wouldn't fit in all that well with the way Lin and I use the boat.

I'd take the Vista offshore if I was certain of mild wind and wave conditions ahead, and it'd be fine. It can handle snotty conditions when it needs to, but I wouldn't want to be 30 miles out in a major 'blow'. That isn't what it was designed to do. A Power Squadron friend with a 34' Silverton Convertible says basically the same about his boat. Couple years ago he and his wife were caught offshore in sudden 40 mph winds that lasted a half hour. In 40 years of boating, it was the only time he was ever afraid of not making it.

My .02