Older trailer

wrecks1971

Seaman
I want to up grade my trailer with new rollers etc I would like your taughts of what else I should do. What do you guys think of the bunks ?

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1245.JPG
    IMG_1245.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1246.JPG
    IMG_1246.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1248.JPG
    IMG_1248.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

wrecks1971

Seaman
Re: Older trailer

Two more pics of trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPG
    IMG_1249.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1250.JPG
    IMG_1250.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 0

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know, maybe its just me, but looks the trailer is beating up the boat?

Looks like the bunks need to be replaced. Looks like a lot of work is needed.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Give it a full refurb by the looks of it.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

How big is the boat? Length, weight (aprox.), width.
What is the hull material? Looks like fiberglass to me.
How often is the boat trailed, and on what kinds of roads (mostly blacktop, or gravel)?

I agree that a full refurb appears to be in order, but the above questions should also be taken in consideration before converting to all rollers. Just my opinion.

wrecks1971

Seaman

Thanks Bitterboater for understanding what advise I`m looking for.The trailer needs a complete over haul,that much I do know. What I was hoping was for advise and ideas on what was the best things to do. The boat is 19` in lenght Beam 7`9 and weight 1200 lb it is made of fibreglass. The trailer will only travel on blacktop,mostly motorway and only during the summer months.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

keep in mind that the box beams can rust from the inside out and the galvanizing hide it from view until it breaks of course things only break while being used. so add up your parts list vs a new trailer.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

One more question, how old is the boat (approx)?
From what you have described all rollers may be feasible for that boat if spaced close enough and have enough quantity on the trailer. Being from here in the mid-west, and having a great many very bumpy gravel and blacktop roads rollers are best suited to tinnys, not fiberglass. I say this as I have seen a few glass boats dimpled by roller trailers here.
Another thing to consider is what the water quality will mostly consist of (fresh or salt water).
Personally, with a glass boat that large and heavy (plus motor, fuel, and tackle) I would stay with the bunks. I think that they will provide better support to the boat and be safer in the long run (my opinion only).:D

wrecks1971

Seaman

The boat will be used for salt water and the age of the boat is aprox 25 to 30 years old. So probably the best maybe to keep the bunks but to replace rubbers. Add new rollers on the keel,would you put flat rollers or Vee rollers in ? I`m going to put new hitch on,change all the wheel bearings and paint it up. Probably change all corroded bolts. Anything else ? Thanks for advise Bitter.
Paul

wrecks1971

Seaman

I took the boat off the trailer for a better look as you can see from the pics. I`ve ordered the rollers plus brackets. The trailer needs a fair bit of work :(

Attachments

• IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 0

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

If this was my trailer, before I replaced rollers and hardware, I'd blow/clean off the loose galvanizing with a pressure washer. Use a ball peen hammer to gently tap along the steel tubes looking for weak spots and replace as necessary. Prep and cold galvanize the "good" steel.

Then I would reconfigure/rebuild the bunks to prevent the trailer from beating up the boat.

wrecks1971

Seaman

I was going to redo the bunks in the same position as they`re in now. The traile is metal and not galvinised,its painted with galvinised paint. I was going to give it a good clean and fix where needed then paint it all again. Thanks for your imput its all welcome.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

That trailer will clean up nice, wire wheel, sand, prime, paint, change out rusted hardware if needed, replace bunks & rollers. You can do it in a weekend. I used rustoleum primer for heavly rusted metal & rustoleum oil based topcoat. Came out great, pics are on page 3 of my thread below.