what kind of tires?

cgd7777777

Petty Officer 1st Class
need to buy a new set of tires for my wifes truck.
2008 gmc 1500 z71 tie size 265/70/r17
would like a good all terrain with long milage
what do yall think would be best?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: what kind of tires?

I would go with a Cooper or Goodrich, both have been extremely good tires for my money on my SUV's as well as trucks, and believe you/me, the 4wd gets a heck of a lot of work where I live.

puddle jumper

Captain

The ones I have on my pickup are the Yokohama Geo lander. Just a great tire. I use them on road, off road, on slippery boat ramps. There quiet on the highway. Plus I have never had a lick of trouble with them in the 4 years I have had them and about 60k on them.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'm also a Cooper fan. Ran a set of Discoverer ATR's (I think they've been superceded by a new model- AT3?) on my '96 Silverado 1500 and was very happy with them. Real good highway manners and great in the snow. Based on that experience I replaced the OEM tires on my Mitsubishi Outlander (it's like a RAV-4) with Discoverer HT's 6000 miles ago. They're great on that car.

I do a lot of research before I buy, and agree with MTboatguy on Cooper or Goodrich. Look for sales and rebates. I bought my HT's last fall with a $75. rebate on a set of four.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I know they cost a bunch however, Michelin tires have given me the best wear and manners on a truck.

Bondo

Staff member

I know they cost a bunch however, Michelin tires have given me the best wear and manners on a truck.

Ayuh,.... I've had Great luck with Bridgestones,....

My experience with Coopers is,....
They'll never, Ever wear out....
Every single 1 I've ever owned, Blew out, before the tread wore off...

204 Escape

Ensign

I've run COOPER tires for a long time. Sorry to hear about them coming apart.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I've run COOPER tires for a long time. Sorry to hear about them coming apart.

I am to, they have been great tires for me and they get put through there paces where I live, 7 miles of pretty much unmaintained road!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... As I said, "In My experience"....

Over the years, I've had 3 sets of 4, that I've never ever worn out....
'n the right rear quarter panel of my pickup still bears the scars of the last 1, 2 years ago...
BOOM, Flap, Flap, Flap...at 60mph...

They've worn down to 'bout 25%, 'n then the sidewalls start checking, then they go BOOM...
Unfortunately the only warning I got was the BOOM....

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The ones I have on my pickup are the Yokohama Geo lander. Just a great tire. I use them on road, off road, on slippery boat ramps. There quiet on the highway. Plus I have never had a lick of trouble with them in the 4 years I have had them and about 60k on them.

+1

(should have got the ones with the snow flake emblem though, good all year winter tires)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Ayuh,.... As I said, "In My experience"....

Over the years, I've had 3 sets of 4, that I've never ever worn out....
'n the right rear quarter panel of my pickup still bears the scars of the last 1, 2 years ago...
BOOM, Flap, Flap, Flap...at 60mph...
Coopers are made from a harder compound than the others???

How are they on ice??
They've worn down to 'bout 25%, 'n then the sidewalls start checking, then they go BOOM...
Unfortunately the only warning I got was the BOOM....

How are they on ice??

Bondo

Staff member

How are they on ice??

Ayuh,... They wear like Iron, so I'd assume they're a Hard compound...

My truck is 4x4, 'n I never had any issues with traction with the Coopers....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ditto!

Won't buy any other tire. I'm not looking forward to the day when I need to buy a set for my 1994 2500 'burb.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

How are they on ice??

I have had great luck with them on ice, which is what I drive on about 5+ months of the year, it is either snow or ice at my place, no in between from the end of Oct to about the first of May, they also wear great on the gravel road I drive every day, the current set I have on my jeep has about 30k on them, with studs and they are still going strong. I have purchased tires in the past, and when they found out where I live, they would not honor the warranty, I have had no issues with this with the Coopers.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I have had great luck with them on ice, which is what I drive on about 5+ months of the year, it is either snow or ice at my place, no in between from the end of Oct to about the first of May, they also wear great on the gravel road I drive every day, the current set I have on my jeep has about 30k on them, with studs and they are still going strong. I have purchased tires in the past, and when they found out where I live, they would not honor the warranty, I have had no issues with this with the Coopers.

+1 on the studded tires, those little carbides sure make a difference!
It is to bad that I was working on Vancouver island (10 days on 6 off) were there is "mostly" no snow for most of the winter and driving back to the interior of BC were there is Big snow/ice over the passes, those little studs didn't last long on pavement. :(

(thinking of getting the next winter set siped, should last longer than the studs)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Labor relations has nothing to do with the quality of a product, I myself don't believe in unions any longer, of course I spent 26 years in one of the biggest unions in the world! The US Army, but still this has nothing to do with the quality of a product.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I gave up on Zs (long story), but my all time favorite truck was a 2001 GMC Z71. It had Kumho Sport Kings on it. They were great tires and in my opinion would meet your criteria. I currently have Goodrich Rugged Terrains on my Expedition and am very happy with them. They're very reasonably priced as well, which is not a foregone conclusion for BF Goodrich tires.

southkogs

Staff member

I've got Michelin's on the van right now, but on my SUV I have Toyos. They are the third set I've owned, and I've gotten all their life plus some out of them ... 90K on one of the sets.

rogerwa

Commander

I am on my second set of Mich LTS M/S tires.. The first set lasted over 70K. They are quiet and sure footed in any of the condtions I have had. I live in MN so we get snow and ice. I would not put another tire on it.