New Sears policy

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For years I've gotten various appliances from Sears. A while back they started a policy where they would rebate the delivery and haul-away charges in the form of a check. Kind of irritating, but it worked.

Today I bought a new dryer with delivery set for Monday (today is Friday). Pretty good sale. Got a Kenmore 'cause easy to for DIYs to get parts and fix. Total price included $75 delivery and haul-away charge. Salesman gave me a rebate form to fill out to mail or file online.

Get home. Look at rebate form. Hmmm. Go online and check there, too. It is no longer a rebate, although that's what it says on the form. It is now a store credit.

Later in the day I stopped back at Sears to see what gives. They call the manager. While waiting I ask the salesperson how long the store credit policy has been in effect. "Three weeks!"

I was nice about it, but the manager got pretty short. He said Sears doesn't do the delivery; it's a different company. I said he could save this sale if he were to credit $75 to my account, but no go. I explained that Home Depot has a free delivery and haul away promotion this week, to which he replied this wasn't Home Depot. Okay, I said, well then let's go ahead and cancel this sale and credit my Sears account. He couldn't do that either. He pointed to an 800# on the salesperson's business card I would have to call.

He walked away and the salesperson (not the same one who made the sale; he had left for the day) apologized for the situation. I explained I knew it wasn't the fault of her or the manager, but instead it was really the new corporate policy that was to blame.

Before leaving the store I got on my cell, called the 800# and had the rep "cancel delivery with refund." He couldn't give me a confirmation number. Said I should call the store in a few days to verify the refund.

Gee, it's really a shame. Poor Sears. Not the same company it used to be.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: New Sears policy

Hey I just ordered a new washer dryer combo and get a better deal elsewhere. I was severly dissapointed with sears, their staff and the product...... my shopping experience sent me shopping.

You are absolutely right .... not the same company.

Where I purchased mine I am getting free delivery, free disposal of my old ones and free installation. I also got 10% off the store prices which were $100 less than the internet prices.

You have a pm

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have not been in a Sears store in about 15 years service was going south then

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

sears is owned by kmart now, that says it all.

i386

Captain

I haven't given up on them yet but my last experience there wasn't very good. The customer service was very poor.:mad:

My folks used sears for everything and when my wifes first electric range went bad we went straight to sears with cash for another. Salesman said no they didnt have any in stock for a next day delivery but would only take 2 days no problem. After 3 days we called and they said sorry will take several more days. Wife said FORGET IT.Went to store and got the money back and then went with my truck and picked up one at another store. Havent been back the sears and this was over 15 years ago. My wife doesnt like salesmen that give out BS.

Nobody

Seaman

I recently discovered that torque wrenches are considered "precision hand tools" and not covered under the unlimited lifetime warranty that most Sears Craftsman tools carry. :mad:

Pierutrus

I recently discovered that torque wrenches are considered "precision hand tools" and not covered under the unlimited lifetime warranty that most Sears Craftsman tools carry. :mad:

That's BS. A tools a tool. I would have shoved it.......well you know where.:mad:

TilliamWe

Banned

Thanks for the heads up. I got a Kenmore washer and dryer in January, and it was under the old online rebate thing. I too wouldn't have bought mine if it was just store credit, as I didn't plan to buy anything else at Sears. Now I know I never will.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well here is some real sound shopping advice.......

Major retailers post offers online and the online prices are higher than the store prices. If you are lazy.... you pay the price on line.

Good example is Staples...... if you purchase supplies or technology online it is higher than the in-store prices.

Home Depot marks the appliances up $100 online over the in-store prices...

Now Sears has been advertising nationally that they will compare prices for you online in the store....... they will show you a similar appliance at $100 more than they have in-store.

The on-line shopping for major items is not foolproof

Do the homework....... save some real money.

Navy Jr.

Thanks for the heads up. I got a Kenmore washer and dryer in January, and it was under the old online rebate thing. I too wouldn't have bought mine if it was just store credit, as I didn't plan to buy anything else at Sears. Now I know I never will.

You know, I don't plan on going back either, and that's the sad part of it all. The sales people there work on commission (well, the ones in the appliance area anyway; not sure of other departments). I could tell in the eyes of the salesperson who tried to help me that she was worried about what this new "store credit" versus "rebate" policy was going to do to sales and her bottom line. Certainly can't help.

On the other hand, I am kind of miffed at the salesperson who wrote up my order. He said nothing to me about the rebate actually being a store credit. If I had known that at the time, I would not have gone through with the transaction. -Ken

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snap-on and Mac Tools have the same policy on torque wrenches as well. :(

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I stopped buying stuff from Sears when they started selling mostly junk. The wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. remained pretty good, but the other tools were just crap, IMO.

spunkyjr

Seaman

Bought the old man a lawn tractor last year in the fall. At 82 he can't use a push mower any more. Went to Sears when they had a clearance sale and got $200 off the regular price. It was somewhere around $1200 and with all the rebates and so it came out to be $880. Well any way once we got it home it wouldn't start. We got the 800 no. and called, and the technician said we were doing everything wrong and didn't know what we were talking about, that the motor would start if we followed the directions in the book. Well after rereading the instructions it still won't work. Called again and said we needed the tractor looked at by tech., after 2 days of calling here and there finally got a tech to come to the house.

The first thing that came out of the techs mouth is "Don't you know how to read instructions?" Well needless to say the peed me off. I told him why don't you show how it's done. An hour and half later he still can't get the mower running. Told us that he didn't know what was wrong and left, really peed now. Called Sears again and gave the service manager a piece of mine.
Next day another service tech shows up and after almost 2 hours finds a blown fuse. Replaces fuse and tracto starts right up. Tech gets ready to leave and the tractors dies again. Won't restart. Replaces with another fuse, starts again. Start to cut and blows another fuse. He actually had the nerve to tell me to keep replacing the fuses and the tractor will run. Another call to Sears, an e-mail to district office and letter to main office. Waited 3 days and finally got an answer that another tech would come to the house.

Tech shows up and ten minutes after replacing fuse the starter smokes and catches on fire. Another call to Sears to come pick up the piece of junk. Next morning get a call from the home office apologizing for the inconveince and said a new tractor would be delivered in the afternoon. Right on time the tractor arrives, it was an upgraded model, also included was a rear bagger. Received an apology from the store manager and the home office. Had a follow up call in about 2 weeks to make sure that we were statisfied. Would I buy from Sears again, heck NO. But do enough complaining and you might just get some results.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stopped buying stuff from Sears when they started selling mostly junk. The wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. remained pretty good, but the other tools were just crap, IMO.
I was in disbelief when they replaced one of my old ratchets that was broke with one of their new ones. Looked and performed like one of those from china in the tent sales at the fairs.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

I hope it's just a few bad apples and not all sears stores going that way.

I can remember buying my first tool set from sears back when I was 15 and started working for my dad at his Mercruiser franchise. I used my own money.

I think it was around $500 and had enough tools to get me started. The tools are still good, still in my box along with his that I got when he died.

The tools were not as smooth and sexy as Snap=on but they did have a lifetime warranty and were of high quality.

I can still remember seeing "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" over the door as I walked into sears.

I hope Sears is not the next Icon to go belly up. I wish them a recovery to the days of Pride.

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer

Gee, it's really a shame. Poor Sears. Not the same company it used to be.

Seems to be not just Sears, but more widespread. I'll post a new thread about our Pella doors.

I'm guessing that it has to do with the economy - companies are trying to save money any way they can, and add new and improved extra charges wherever they can to pull in extra revenue on any sales.

Navy Jr.

I can't help but agree with v1_0 above. I should have read the rebate form when it was presented to me in the store before heading home thinking it was the same ol' rebate I was used to (but I still think the salesman should have told me about the store credit thing).

Store policies change for a reason. Just like banks and credit card companies are finding all sorts of imaginative ways to get more money out of us, it appears Sears is doing the same. A store credit instead of a cash rebate keeps the money on their books. Clever, at least for the short term.

But it can't be good for long-term business. The American consumer is actually smarter than that (eh?), and will go elsewhere.