making a fiberglass gas tank?

boat_beginner

Seaman
so, the boat I have came with a fiberglass gas tank, that was junk, looked like the resin was crapping out on the inside of the tank, at least, I'm guessing the resin, and not really old gas gelling up. Anyway, that means that I now do not have a gas tank, and would like to get a tank around 20ish gallons, and after seeing the prices for a tank like that, that got me to thinking about trying to make a tank out of fiberglass. My question is what you think about all this? is it a good idea? would the resin hold up to the gas, or would it just break down on the inside again?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: making a fiberglass gas tank?

I don't think so much of this idea. Spend the $$$ for a proper gas tank.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That would be a real waste of time and money since the resins are not compatable with ethanol blended fuel which may be why your existing tank went bad. Plastic tanks are fine - fiberglass not so much! Have one made out of aluminum if it is a unique shape.

boat_beginner

Seaman

well you guys just confermed my thoughts, I didn't think it was a good idea, given the old one being junk. thanks for the info though.

Glass fuel tanks can be built, but you absolutely must use the proper materials and procedures. When it's all said and done I'd doubt if you'd save much, if any, by doing it yourself. It'd be more applicable to a homebuilder who needs a unique shaped tank. Here's a link to a discussion on boatdesign.net with an article from a Geugeon Brother's (makers of West Systems and ProSet epoxy) publication that's very interesting.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-building/epoxy-fuel-tanks-278.html

Ned L

Commander

Not to mension that they really are supposed to be U.S.C.G. certified