cable steering re-string

KKraft

Recruit
I have a 1973 Cris Craft Dolphin 19 OMC I/O and I need to re-string the cable steering. I am looking for the tech diagraham for this procedure and what strength and type of cable to use. Hope someone has had this fun experience and is able to shed some light otherwise my boat is an anchor.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cable steering re-string

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

please explain the steering system you got,...

OMC used several types,... Some are easy to fix, others Can't be fixed...

kfa4303

Banned

HI KKraft. Welcome to iboats. Are you referring to a vintage cable and pulley steering system? If so, I'm not familiar how to set one up on an I/O drive. However, if you need modern teleflex style cables, you should be able to find what you need right here at iboats. Click on the Marine Store tab and input your info. A pic may help too.

southkogs

Staff member

BIG question - on a '73 OMC are you tru-course or the through-the-transom type?

KKraft

Recruit

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...

please explain the steering system you got,...

OMC used several types,... Some are easy to fix, others Can't be fixed...

This system has a double drum on the steering console with cable wraped to pull no matter port or starbord turn. Cables
(2) run down the starboard side and are wraped around a double drum mounted on the back of the engine to turn what I believe is a ring and pinion gear which in turn runs to the out unit giving the boat a sweet turning radius. It will almost pivot on its axis.

There are pulleys at the front and rear with a turnbucke mid way for tension adjustment after the cable is installed. That is just a guess, but no other reason for the turnbuckle. Oh yes there is plenty of grease.

KKraft

Recruit

HI KKraft. Welcome to iboats. Are you referring to a vintage cable and pulley steering system? If so, I'm not familiar how to set one up on an I/O drive. However, if you need modern teleflex style cables, you should be able to find what you need right here at iboats. Click on the Marine Store tab and input your info. A pic may help too.

Yes this is the factory system, which is cable and drum. I have never even made and adjustment, no need up to the failure.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generally, The modern rotary steering geer, single cable system made the older double cable systems obsolete. The modern set up is not that expensive. Teleflex has people that can advise you.

southkogs

Staff member

On the OMC stringers, the steering system was typically a push-bar through the transom (early models like mine) or tru-course which rigs to a gear at the intermediate housing. A '73 that doesn't poke through the outside of the boat should probably be tru-course. Good news is while that is an antiquated system ... it's a dynamite steering system.

I've not had to rig one of those, so I don't know what that means to you in terms of a cable. I've seen helms, gears and cables on ebay, but I don't know if you can buy new replacement parts for it. I'll try lookin' later if I get a chance ...

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again KKraft. Do you have a pic? I've never heard of this type of set up before, sounds interesting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Generally, The modern rotary steering geer, single cable system made the older double cable systems obsolete. The modern set up is not that expensive. Teleflex has people that can advise you.

That isn't what he has. He has a cable over pulleys system. That's a good thing because the old push-pull system made by Morse is obsolete.