Florida "Toll-By-Plate" system ???

tpenfield

Staff member
I'm wondering if any Florida residents can comment on the Florida toll road system . . .

It seems that they have some sort of high-tech system for collecting tolls and catching offenders.

I became aware of this a week or two ago when I received in the mail an "invoice" from Florida "Toll-By-Plate" for a $1.00 toll plus $2.50 service charge for a toll that I supposedly did not pay. Well, I have not driven on Florida roads in about 7 years and my car has never been in Florida, so there must be some sort of mistake . . . I don't even live in Florida.

The funny thing is that they included a photo from the toll gate of the 'violating vehicle' . . . of course it did not even look like my car, and the clarity of the photo was not such that I could actually read the numbers on the license plate.

Anyway, I call them up and have it disputed. I heard nothing from them for a week and finally called them back and they say, oh yes, that has been 'discharged'. I ask if I will get a statement of the 'discharge' . . . they say no, but you can just check online. You would think that they would send you some sort of written confirmation of such, since they issue you a traffic violation if you do not pay after 30 days.

Anyway, from what I have been able to gather, the plate identification is all done via computer and not by people. I wonder how often it makes mistakes, particularly with out-of-state license plates?

Thanks for listening . . . :(

sasto

Captain
Re: Florida "Toll-By-Plate" system ???

Welcome to Flori-Duh........even though you've never been here! :D

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Yep, Florida...the "FEE" State. At least no Income Tax!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I was wondering about the same thing myself. Was in Ft Lauderdale, Naples, and down to the Keys last week. No idea if I'll receive a separate bill from the rental car company or from the toll authority.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I had something similar happen in cali, same story said I didn't pay a toll blah blah. but I didn't recognize the plate number and thought maybe it was an old one that someone stole or something, went to the DMV and it was the plate for my boat trailer!
they don't even make sure the vehicle matches the plate registration. long story short the computer read an S for a 5 or something and they dropped it.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I was wondering about the same thing myself. Was in Ft Lauderdale, Naples, and down to the Keys last week. No idea if I'll receive a separate bill from the rental car company or from the toll authority.

probably the rental car company, have you checked their website?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

As I am King of rental cars...
The State will bill the rental Company (Regestired Owwner) and they will BILL your credit card on file at the time of the rental.
Some put an "aggravation fee" on top of the actual toll violation, FYI

getting billed by the rental car company depends on the rental car company. the change in tolling down south is new and personally, i like it. i use the sunpass so i don't get the surcharge. sadly, you can't please everyone and those that happily refer to us as floriduh can, in the words of blake shelton, you can kiss my... i love it here, lived in other places, moved back and will not live anywhere else anymore. many people, especially yankees like to complain about tolls, heat, bugs, cubans, haitians, lack of performing arts, congestion, languages, etc. i say yes to all of those and that you should probably stay away. ;-) anyhow...computers make mistakes and IT happens. it's those minor inconveniences that make life interesting

dwco5051

Commander

Some years ago when Pennsylvania first went to a new computerized registration system it was almost two years before they figured out that their software didn't distinguish the difference between the letter O and the number 0. Lots of people got parking tickets in the mail from place they had never been. You could run a 10-28 and it would come back on two different vehicles but you could figure that out pretty quick if you were standing there that it was a Ford Sedan and not a Dodge truck.

sasto

Captain

you can't please everyone and those that happily refer to us as floriduh can, in the words of blake shelton, you can kiss my... i love it here,

That was only me, that I see, using the name Flori-Duh. I use it affectionately. I also use the term Flor-Idiot to describe myself. All in fun for me, idonthaveaname. I love it here too!

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I accidentally went though the wrong side (fast pass I think) of a toll last year. Stopped, went back & paid it, then got a fine in the mail a week or two later. A pic of my car came with it. Both sides were totally automated.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

That was only me, that I see, using the name Flori-Duh. I use it affectionately. I also use the term Flor-Idiot to describe myself. All in fun for me, idonthaveaname. I love it here too!
That's pretty funny, sasto... I'm reading this thread and after reading idonthaveaname's post, I was going to reply, quoting him, saying "The Guy who referred to "Flori-duh", lives there... Take a look at his location under his avatar.

You beat me to it; not by much, though... And not that you need anyone to defend you!!!;)

...But back to the original post...:D

In New York, there's Easy Pass. If you go through without it, you don't get a $2.50 surcharge in addition to the toll. You get a violation. I don't know what it costs because I've never done that. I've had an Easy Pass since they first came out. It's so much faster than having to pay with cash or token. The 10% discount makes it even more rediculous to not have it.

And yes, boys and girls...i saw the Nettles Island. ;-) The challenge here is most everyone is from somewhere else, move here, and then begin referring to Florida as Floriduh. Granted, we have our share of Floridiots here...transplanted for the most part.

For me...I am a native son--born and raised between the sunrise and sunset of the Florida Keys to the Everglades. I get special privilege to defend. ;-)

sasto

Captain

For me...I am a native son--born and raised between the sunrise and sunset of the Florida Keys to the Everglades. I get special privilege to defend. ;-)

I understand your thinking and your pride, idonthaveaname....But.....I defended this country with military expierence and am a (slightly) disabled Veteran. I pay taxes. I'm free to roam the USA, including Florida. I'm also free to speak. This is in no way an attempt to ridicule any Floridian, or you.

I grew up in WV. How many hillbilly jokes have I heard from people that have never been there? I laugh at it! I love it!

I appreciate your passion and for the great State you grew up in.

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, but sasto, that is what makes you, well, sasto ... a hillbilly Floridiot!:eek::p:D

Don't worry, buddy, I got your back!

All good things to you sasto and i would love to share a few tight lines with you one day (since you are so close).

no offense meant, no offense taken. I have never heard a hillbilly joke...you'll have to share one with us. :rolleyes:

I do like jokes and I have a great sense of humor...you have to have a great sense of humor living down here, or with life in general. And on a serious note...hillbillies are my favert people...don't care where you're from.

tpenfield

Staff member

I try to visit Forida often. If I ever drive my car there, I wonder who will get the bill for the tolls?

I have a couple of EZPass transponders. They are great for the Northeast and the mid-atlantic.

Wouldn't you think that in this day and age, all the states could get on the same page and have universal transponders :confused:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't you think that in this day and age, all the states could get on the same page and have universal transponders :confused:
Now that would be really nice. I think about that every time I have to pay a toll down south... It's not often, though; so I've felt no need to get a Sun Pass. I'm going to look in to it now, though. I'll be driving in to Florida more often.